Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uhhhh ohhhhhhh

Uhhhh ohhhhhhh

Jeff Keppinger: .326 1 HR 11 RBI's

Brendan Harris last month: .253 O HR 7 RBI's
    Justin Germano last month: 27.1 IP 7.24 1.72 12 BB's 13 K's

What's going to happen now that some of the players WK let go are performing the way everyone expected and another guy he picked up is becoming a valuable partof this team?

Can any rational Reds fan actually give WK credit for these actions? I'll have a hard time believing that, but we see.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Uhhhh ohhhhhhh

lol. you know you're not gonna get any "i was wrong" comments out of this. You can however, have an "I was right" comment from me. Germano stinks.........in a pitchers park.

I was right. And I do and have always like Wayne Krivsky.

give Keppinger some time and his numbers will go down just like the others

Would you rather have Castro over Harris? Would you rather have Saarloos over Germano? Id still go with the younger guys, and hey they are also cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    give Keppinger some time and his numbers will go down just like the others
    Big difference. Keppinger has hit .320 throughout his minor league career. There's a precedence here. He also has a career minor league 186/139 BB/K ratio. Harris on the other hand was a career .279 minor league hitter, with a 37/82 bb/k ratio.

Germano's minor league numbers were ok, but nothing to suggest he was going to continue his torrid pace that he started the season with.

yeah...

It's the nature of the game for guys to play well for a period and stink it up now and again.

We're dealing with the same small sample size that people were using with Harris and Germano. We can't complain about some using short data to berate K and use the same amount of data to praise him. Let's stay consistant.

That said, I like Kepp. K did good to pick him up on the cheap. Unfortunately, he also sold Germano and Harris on the cheap (after aquiring them for... oh never mind )

With K, he's got some obvious losses and some obvious wins. He's not a genius by far... but he's certainly collected some interesting young talent that could take us places soon.

The proof is in the pudding.

Evaluating a GM's performance isn't best accomplished by grading each move individually and adding up the grades. The way you judge his performance is by looking at the win-loss record of the major league team. So far WK is getting a failing grade.

It is pretty hard to argue Krivsky has done a good job when the Reds have the worst record in baseball. Now that the Reds are doing better I am willing to give him a longer chance to turn things around.

So far Krivsky has made a few fantastic moves: Arroyo, Phillips, Hamilton. He deserves a lot of credit for those moves.

On the negative side he has done a terrible job of managing the Reds' limited payroll. He squandered too many millions of dollars on players that have been complete flops: Cormier, David Ross, Stanton, Coffey, Castro, Saarloos, and Santos. Gonzalez hasn't earned his money either, but at least he is decent.

Despite making it his top priority and throwing most of our assets into the effort, Krivsky has failed to improve the bullpen. We have tried a lot of different pitchers, but we are still a long way from having a decent relief corps.

My biggest concern however is the draft. Krivsky's first two drafts have me very worried. I know it is early still, but the top players in these drafts have performed very poorly in the minors so far. Being a little bit of a draft afficianado I was very disappointed with the selections the Reds made in the first few rounds of the draft the last two years.

Krivsky has been a mixed bag. Some very good and a lot of bad. As a Reds fan I am not really willing to settle for decent performance. Once a guy has proven he is not an excellent GM I would rather give a young, up-and-comer a chance to show what he can do. Decent GMs don't take their teams to the World Series very often.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The proof is in the pudding.

Evaluating a GM's performance isn't best accomplished by grading each move individually and adding up the grades. The way you judge his performance is by looking at the win-loss record of the major league team. So far WK is getting a failing grade.

It is pretty hard to argue Krivsky has done a good job when the Reds have the worst record in baseball. Now that the Reds are doing better I am willing to give him a longer chance to turn things around.

So far Krivsky has made a few fantastic moves: Arroyo, Phillips, Hamilton. He deserves a lot of credit for those moves.

On the negative side he has done a terrible job of managing the Reds' limited payroll. He squandered too many millions of dollars on players that have been complete flops: Cormier, David Ross, Stanton, Coffey, Castro, Saarloos, and Santos. Gonzalez hasn't earned his money either, but at least he is decent.

Despite making it his top priority and throwing most of our assets into the effort, Krivsky has failed to improve the bullpen. We have tried a lot of different pitchers, but we are still a long way from having a decent relief corps.

My biggest concern however is the draft. Krivsky's first two drafts have me very worried. I know it is early still, but the top players in these drafts have performed very poorly in the minors so far. Being a little bit of a draft afficianado I was very disappointed with the selections the Reds made in the first few rounds of the draft the last two years.

Krivsky has been a mixed bag. Some very good and a lot of bad. As a Reds fan I am not really willing to settle for decent performance. Once a guy has proven he is not an excellent GM I would rather give a young, up-and-comer a chance to show what he can do. Decent GMs don't take their teams to the World Series very often.
    oh goodness............... oh goodness....................

lol

ok......real quick. If you judge a GM by win/loss, I think you prob need to give that GM more than a year and a half to use that as your gauge.. don't you? The team Krivsky has on the field right now has nearly 50% of it's total budget tied up in 3 players that he had nothing to do with signing. 1/6th of the teams current budget is tied up in Eric Milton alone. You don't think stuff like that may factor into this teams W/L record after 1.5 years of Krivsky?

Update on K's first 5 picks of 2006 (most recent levels only):
    Stubbs .259/.365/.392/.757 112 K in 370 AB, Low-A Dayton
    Watson 6.82 ERA, 31.2 inns., 11W, 31 K, .286 BA against. Sarasota
    Valaika .231/.287/.319/.606 Sarasota
    Reed .309/.392/.418/.810 GCL Reds
    Ravin 7.11 ERA, 19 inns, 23 W, 18 K, .270 BA against. Billings.

IMHO, there's reason to be concerned about this draft.

A season and a half on the job and impatient idiotic Reds fans are already ready to can him.

What a hoot.
    Who's on first?

I'm not gonna do it (too lazy and dumb), but this is what needs to be done. Someone needs to put the full body of work of WK on a thread. Leave nothing out. Let it speak for itself. Otherwise we'll get...

"Phillips"

"The Trade"

"Hamilton"

"Stanton"

"Hatteberg"

"Cormier"

and so on

We all know the pros and cons...listing them selectively doesn't prove a point/win any arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Update on K's first 5 picks of 2006 (most recent levels only):
    Stubbs .259/.365/.392/.757 112 K in 370 AB, Low-A Dayton
    Watson 6.82 ERA, 31.2 inns., 11W, 31 K, .286 BA against. Sarasota
    Valaika .231/.287/.319/.606 Sarasota
    Reed .309/.392/.418/.810 GCL Reds
    Ravin 7.11 ERA, 19 inns, 23 W, 18 K, .270 BA against. Billings.

IMHO, there's reason to be concerned about this draft.

Awesome job Hokie. I like how you only use stats at the current levels instead of the full season for guys like Watson and Valaika. Certainly lets you skew things in favor of the anti-krivsky doesn't it?

Watson 3.40 ERA/ 103.1 IP/ 116 K's/ 24 BB's/ .245 baa

Valaika .289/ .338/ .453/ .791

Factor in to this the unknown factors of castellini's edicts and budget it is truly difficult to slam Krivskys work in the time he has been the gm of the Reds. The trade is a farce he unloaded expensive crap and yes the argument can be made he could have received better crap back but whom of us truly knows what his choices where and what Cast's demands dictated?

Time will Tell. After all OB was gutted on these boards and rightly so but as a drafting Guru he was a damn homerun hitter in judging talent.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Factor in to this the unknown factors of castellini's edicts and budget it is truly difficult to slam Krivskys work in the time he has been the gm of the Reds.
    How can you possibly factor in "unknown factors?"

Turn Off Ads?