Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about EE

Quick question about EE

This has nothing to do how you rate him as a player, just an ongoing observation:

Has anyone ever seen this kid smile? Show of hands.

I mean, he is playing a game for a living, after all...
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Quick question about EE

why does he have to smile all of the time? It's not in some peoples make-up. Conine isn't out there laughing all of the time, and neither is Hatteberg. Some people just have a more serious streak than others. In all honesty, I think it shows that he is serious about what he does. The kid's gotta be a hard worker. His defense is growing by leaps and bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    This has nothing to do how you rate him as a player, just an ongoing observation:

I have seen it from time to time.
    I think alot has to do with his confidence in himself. He seems to get down on himself real easy. Many more games like last night and you will see the smile alot more I have a feelin'.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    why does he have to smile all of the time? It's not in some peoples make-up. Conine isn't out there laughing all of the time, and neither is Hatteberg. Some people just have a more serious streak than others. In all honesty, I think it shows that he is serious about what he does. The kid's gotta be a hard worker. His defense is growing by leaps and bounds.
    What? Never said he had to smile all the time - from where did that interpretation derive?

It just appears to me that he is emotionless on the field. Not saying that's good or bad - just something I've noticed. He certainly does not look like he's enjoying himself and that's a shame. I also think it would affect his play, and I agree it could be a confidence thing.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

he smiled last night after winning the game.

What? Never said he had to smile all the time - from where did that interpretation derive?

It just appears to me that he is emotionless on the field. Not saying that's good or bad - just something I've noticed. He certainly does not look like he's enjoying himself and that's a shame. I also think it would affect his play, and I agree it could be a confidence thing.

So, you start a thread about Edwin's lack of smiling, and in your explanation above you think that it would affect his play, but I can't interperate it to mean that he should smile more often for your benefit? What's the point of this thread?

I have seen it a few times....i know when he is not smiling....when he is not playing
    Reds fan since 1970

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I have seen it from time to time.
    I think alot has to do with his confidence in himself. He seems to get down on himself real easy. Many more games like last night and you will see the smile alot more I have a feelin'.

Agreed. His psyche isn't strong right now. It's tough for some Latin ballplayers to emerge strongly, in character, in the states. I know I had that feeling just as a tourist when I was in France and Belgium. I think for what deals with (the media, the fans, the trying to fit in, Edwin is doing a good job. There's been many American ballplayers that didn't smile very much, if at all- such as Alex Johnson, Richie(Dick)Allen, Bob Gibson and Ty Cobb for that matter. I don't worry about the smiles. Sure, it's great to see a la Sean Casey but I'm way more concerned with a player's production.

So, you start a thread about Edwin's lack of smiling, and in your explanation above you think that it would affect his play, but I can't interperate it to mean that he should smile more often for your benefit? What's the point of this thread?
    I forgot who my audience is. I should have been much more clear in the purpose of my thread because if someone leaves a single word to misinterpretation on RedsZone, well, then mothers hide your daughters.

Thank freakin' god I never got "promoted" to the other board. Certainly I would have been stoned by now.

Let's see if I can make this a little more clear for those who don't seem to be able to respond to what was supposed to be an innocuous question:

I never said I disliked EE. I never said I think he should lose his starting position. In fact, I prefaced my message with a disclaimer stating this had nothing to do with that.

I watch the Reds a lot, you see, because I like them. I want them to win. I like to see them win. Henceforth I watch the games on TV. I even pay hundreds of dollars a year for the EI package because I no longer live in Cincinnati. My sons watch the Reds with me. They are fans, too. They like Edwin. So do I.

As a fan, it occurred to me that I rarely see him smile. He frowns a lot. Seems almost bored sometimes. He could be the happiest guy on the planet. I never claimed to be a facial expression reader. Just making a casual observation.

Sorry. That's what fans do.

I wanted to know if anyone else was noticing the same thing I did. So I asked. I forgot to put on my coat of armour first and brandish my shield.

I don't know why I even wasted my time. I'm better off talking about the Reds with my sons. At least they respect me.

I forgot who my audience is. I should have been much more clear in the purpose of my thread because if someone leaves a single word to misinterpretation on RedsZone, well, then mothers hide your daughters.

Thank freakin' god I never got "promoted" to the other board. Certainly I would have been stoned by now.

Let's see if I can make this a little more clear for those who don't seem to be able to respond to what was supposed to be an innocuous question:

I never said I disliked EE. I never said I think he should lose his starting position. In fact, I prefaced my message with a disclaimer stating this had nothing to do with that.

I watch the Reds a lot, you see, because I like them. I want them to win. I like to see them win. Henceforth I watch the games on TV. I even pay hundreds of dollars a year for the EI package because I no longer live in Cincinnati. My sons watch the Reds with me. They are fans, too. They like Edwin. So do I.

As a fan, it occurred to me that I rarely see him smile. He frowns a lot. Seems almost bored sometimes. He could be the happiest guy on the planet. I never claimed to be a facial expression reader. Just making a casual observation.

Sorry. That's what fans do.

I wanted to know if anyone else was noticing the same thing I did. So I asked. I forgot to put on my coat of armour first and brandish my shield.

I don't know why I even wasted my time. I'm better off talking about the Reds with my sons. At least they respect me.
    i think we should just give him a Ned Flanders pat on the back,

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post

i think we should just give him a Ned Flanders pat on the back,
    LOL! Amen brother. At least someone on this board can debate with a sense of humor. As the late Rodney Dangerfield once said, "Ooh - The graveyard is two blocks to the left!"

Jesus good God, I guess the only things we're allowed to discuss here are cold hard numbers with a side of snarky bull****.

Brilliant post, way to be a jerk to a fellow Reds fan. :thumbdown

No, but I sure get tired of seeing his pouty looks when he gets a sign he doesn't like or when he takes a terrible hack. Reminds me of my 5 year old.

BP smiles enough for the rest of the team.

Basement-Dwelling Blogger JinAZ's Avatar

Sorry to be a link hound, but I posted an in-depth (or not) analysis of Encarnacion's smiling frequency a few days ago and thought it might be relevant to this thread:
    http://jinaz-reds.blogspot.com/2007/...on-smiles.html

Cheerio,
    Justin

Turn Off Ads?