Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chris Dickerson hits for the Cycle in Bats win plus Votto and Dumatrait thoughts

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Chris Dickerson hits for the Cycle in Bats win plus Votto and Dumatrait thoughts

Another blooming outfielder for the Reds? Maybe! Do you think Chris Dickerson can become a Mike Cameron type OF'er? I hope so with a little more strength and time. An interesting possible future Reds outfield (2009 or '10) with Bruce, Stubbs and Dickerson patrolling the far reaches in GABP. I wouldn't mind seeing Adam Dunn still here at that time.

A great night for Joey Votto by driving in 4 runs and hitting "his 13th and 14th homers in the fifth and sixth innings." Jesse Gutierrez connected on a "solo homer, his fifth, in the seventh." Yes! Votto is more than ready to be the Reds 1st baseman now! Despite what Wayne Krivsky says to the contrary, I believe the Major league service time (clock) is keeping Votto in Louisville and not letting that "clock" start just yet in Cincinnati.
    "Louisville starter Phil Dumatrait (10-5) picked up the win, allowing one run on two hits in five frames" in Thursday's night game against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. No mention here as to why Dumatrait's game was cut short after 5 innings. Bring Dumatrait up now. Let him get his feet wet in the bigs for the last two months of this season. It will certainly help Phil for his Reds 2008 season.
    Here's the addy for the story:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=t416&sid=t416

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Chris Dickerson hits for the Cycle in Bats win plus Votto and Dumatrait thoughts

Congrats Dickerson but shouldn't this be in the Minor League Talk?

Re: Chris Dickerson hits for the Cycle in Bats win plus Votto and Dumatrait thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Congrats Dickerson but shouldn't this be in the Minor League Talk?
    agreed
    Reds fan since 1970

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I brought it here b/c of looming personnel moves and a refreshing look toward the future.
    My bad if you disagree. Most of the current Reds aren't worth mentioning in this Sun Deck section. Votto, Dumatrait, Bailey, et al and their accomplishments in the minors aren't discussed soley in Minor League Talk are they? Just curious. After looking at the "Similar Threads" section maybe any and all talk of Chris Dickerson belongs there? Seems hypocritical.

Dickerson is not a Cincinnati Red. He may be in the future, but for now any thread about Dickerson should be in Minor League Talk. I believe you could mention future Reds outfielders in the Sun Deck, but that is a seperate thread.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Personally, I'm glad Vada Pinson posted the message to the Sun Deck as I rarely read any other boards besides this one and ORG simply due to not enough time. I come here for news, updates, and of course get a lot of opinion, as well! These guys will be on the big club soon enough - no harm in posting this here. If it really gets your goat that much to read about Dickerson, Votto, and Phil D. on the Sun Deck, well, Vada did mention all three names in the thread title. You coulda elected to not read it. (see: Carlin, George.)
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

I decided to follow my own advice and create a thread in stages about Future Reds outfielders. I consider Chris an outfielder who could play for the Reds in the future and next time I will discuss Chris Dickerson. I do support us discussing AAA players in this thread, as they have potential to be starting for the Reds soon enough. I suppose it all depends on how soon you might think they will be in Cincinnati.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

For whatever it's worth:

I think there should be some relaxation of the "put this in the minor league folder" rule. I, for one, consider myself an uneducated (and disinterested) philistine when it comes to the lower bowels of the Reds' system, but I'm an enthusiastic learner when it comes to players who have made enough of a splash that I expect to see them at GABP someday. I even suspect I knew about and was excited about Cueto before a good number of people here, last year, though living in Dayton may have had something to do with that...

I see no reason to banish Votto or Bailey threads to the minor league area. I was also briefly confused (for all of 90 seconds, but still) when I started looking for Draft Updates earlier this month and couldn't find them in the Sun Deck or ORG. In short, I think that any discussion that an only-mildly-informed Reds' fan such as myself would be interested in should be fair game in the bigger/major league forums. Which is by no means a death blow against the minor league forums, as I know there are plenty of people out there who are Billings Wonks and who don't ever want to stop talking about that stuff, too...

- FR

PS: I did not say so explicitly, so: I enjoyed reading this, and being able to do so in my normal perusal of the Sun Deck. Thank you for the information.

Turn Off Ads?