Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Cueto in July...

  1. #31
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Cueto in July...

    Dude, you are looking at Homer's Major league stint, and saying he isn't as good as Cueto. If Cueto were up there now, he would have the same problems. They are both probably a little too young right now, although I'd rather see Homer working on his curve (which is a plus plus pitch, if you actually have watched Homer pitch before, his fastball isn't his only plus plus pitch) against major leaguers than minor leaguers, but thats another argument. As they've said before, stats aren't everything. If they are to you, lets take a look at this...

    Homer's Major League Stats=Little Success
    Cueto's Major League Stats=No Success

    Take a look at their FSL stats

    Homer-
    13 GS, 3.31 ERA, 10.1 K/9, 2.8 BB/9

    Cueto-
    26 GS, 3.40 ERA, 8.3 K/9, 2.8 BB/9


    And Southern League Stats

    Homer-
    13 GS, 1.59 ERA, 10.2 K/9, 3.7 BB/9

    Cueto-
    6 GS, 2.23 ERA, 10.6 K/9, 1.73 BB/9



    So take what you will from that, but honestly, this is like comparing Votto to Bruce. Everyone knows the real answer (Bruce, Bailey), but we can argue all day, even though it doesnt matter, they're all going to trememdously help this ballclub.
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 07-30-2007 at 04:28 AM.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,936

    Re: Cueto in July...

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur View Post
    thank you

    BA (Baseball America) will make or break a kids career. you get a good report from them, other people (like the homer-mania people) will start to believe the hype too
    BA has an impact of zilch on a minor leaguer's career. FO's have their own scouting reports.

    The hype is largely for us.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  4. #33
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,163

    Re: Cueto in July...

    The world doesn't sort itself out neatly according to BA prospect lists. Homer Bailey very well could turn out to be the better pitcher than Cueto. Then again Cueto, with his ridiculous arm speed and eat-em-alive slider, could be the superior pitcher.

    Who knows, maybe Carlos Fisher will be better than both of them. Stranger things have happened. Jeremy Bonderman and Rich Harden have been outdone by Aaron Harang to date. That wasn't supposed within the realm of possibility. You'd have been labeled a certifiable lunatic if you had picked Harang as the lead dog through 2007. Yet that's exactly the way it's played out.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  5. #34
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,535

    Re: Cueto in July...

    "The world doesn't sort itself out neatly according to BA prospect lists."


    Nobody said it does.... But Key is laughing at anyone that thinks Homer is better than Cueto. Yet Bailey is the consensus pick among professionals as the better prospect. (not just BA).

    Could Cueto end up better? Sure. But right now Bailey is the better prospect in the eyes of actual talent people.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  6. #35
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,163

    Re: Cueto in July...

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Nobody said it does.... But Key is laughing at anyone that thinks Homer is better than Cueto.
    And a host of others are laughing back. I think the absolute surety on both sides is misplaced.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Yet Bailey is the consensus pick among professionals as the better prospect. (not just BA).

    Could Cueto end up better? Sure. But right now Bailey is the better prospect in the eyes of actual talent people.
    That's nice. When the actual talent people begin to get these things right with some reasonable degree of accuracy, I'll put more stock in what they have to say. The baseball industry is extremely fickle when it comes to young talent. To a degree it's like asking pre-teen girls which boy idol they prefer. The answer is sure to change soon enough.

    I understand Bailey's the favorite with the talent oddsmakers at this time, the supposed stub in the stables, but two of the best starting pitchers I've ever seen are short fellows - Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana.

    My general take is that Bailey's been overrated. That doesn't mean he's not going to be an ace pitcher someday, just that he's never been quite as complete a package as his hype has insisted. That's not his fault. He's just a kid trying to make it in an extremely competitive game. IMO, his hype has done his development no favors. Cueto's going to get the 150+ IP in the minors that Bailey could sorely use at this juncture ... and that might be the sort of thing that tips the scales. Might not be.

    The next three years are going to be major tests for both of these kids. To an extent they have to survive these tweener years in order to come out the other side a quality pitcher. The hardest work is in front of them.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  7. #36
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Cueto in July...

    Is it possible to like both players and be happy that they both play for the Reds?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  8. #37
    KeyMastur
    Guest

    Re: Cueto in July...

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Is it possible to like both players and be happy that they both play for the Reds?
    no, you have to pick one or the other

  9. #38
    KeyMastur
    Guest

    Re: Cueto in July...

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's nice. When the actual talent people begin to get these things right with some reasonable degree of accuracy, I'll put more stock in what they have to say. The baseball industry is extremely fickle when it comes to young talent. To a degree it's like asking pre-teen girls which boy idol they prefer. The answer is sure to change soon enough.

    I understand Bailey's the favorite with the talent oddsmakers at this time, the supposed stub in the stables, but two of the best starting pitchers I've ever seen are short fellows - Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana.

    My general take is that Bailey's been overrated. That doesn't mean he's not going to be an ace pitcher someday, just that he's never been quite as complete a package as his hype has insisted. That's not his fault. He's just a kid trying to make it in an extremely competitive game. IMO, his hype has done his development no favors. Cueto's going to get the 150+ IP in the minors that Bailey could sorely use at this juncture ... and that might be the sort of thing that tips the scales. Might not be.

    The next three years are going to be major tests for both of these kids. To an extent they have to survive these tweener years in order to come out the other side a quality pitcher. The hardest work is in front of them.
    i like the way this guy thinks....

    it's what i've been tryin to say is homer is over-rated and shouldn't be as hyped up as people think. and that cueto WILL be a better pitcher than homer.

  10. #39
    KeyMastur
    Guest

    Re: Cueto in July...

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Dude, you are looking at Homer's Major league stint, and saying he isn't as good as Cueto. If Cueto were up there now, he would have the same problems. They are both probably a little too young right now, although I'd rather see Homer working on his curve (which is a plus plus pitch, if you actually have watched Homer pitch before, his fastball isn't his only plus plus pitch) against major leaguers than minor leaguers, but thats another argument. As they've said before, stats aren't everything. If they are to you, lets take a look at this...
    his curve is a plus pitch, but can't throw it for strikes when he wants. only thing he can throw for a strike when he needs is a fastball....can't live in the bigs off just that.

  11. #40
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,414

    Re: Cueto in July...

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur View Post
    i like the way this guy thinks....

    it's what i've been tryin to say is homer is over-rated and shouldn't be as hyped up as people think. and that cueto WILL be a better pitcher than homer.
    Other people can believe 'hype' all they want. I believe what I see from Homer. I believe what I see from Johnny. I believe Homer > Johnny. Not a slight on Johnny, he just isn't as good now, or do I think he will be as good in the future (assuming both players stay healthy). It has nothing to do with any hype at all.

  12. #41
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,381

    Re: Cueto in July...

    I just want to win. And if both of these individuals can help us do that, then who cares who is better than who. Can't we all just agree on that?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25