Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cueto in July...

High five!

Re: Cueto in July...

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur View Post
    i'm just tired of seeing everyone jock homer for a savior....
    We know, Mrs. Cueto.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    KeyMastur

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    We know, Mrs. Cueto.
    ha...not even close....

I don't think anyone is trying to "jock" Homer for a savior. This just happens to be a rotation that badly needs pitching, and Homer has a great arm, and has potential for the future. It's natural to be excited. The guy has had a few bad months in his first time through the major leagues. Hardly enough reason to write him off.

But I do agree with your point about Cueto, he is a better pitcher than Bailey. As far as who has more potential, that might be another story, but Cueto is light years ahead of Bailey in some aspects of pitching.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

haha...funniest comment of the year right there in bold

like i said, you guys jock homer way too much....

you say he's better now....in what sense ?? better stuff ? smarter pitcher (if you say yes on this comment i might as well streak across great american tonight). all you say is he's good and have nothing to back it up. i'm betting all you've seen is cueto's numbers and homer actually pitch on tv or maybe been to a game.
    Stuff - Homer by a landlide.

Command - Cueto, but not by as much as it has shown this year because I am pretty confident that Homers injury was messing with his command. Still, a healthy Homer doesn't have the command Cueto does.

Velocity - Homer by a little.

Size/projectability - Homer, although I am not too worried at all about Cueto's size, although I wonder how his fastball will be handled by more experienced guys with the lack of downward plane he gets.

The only thing Cueto has better than Homer is his control, and while control is important I think when Homer is healthy (and he hasnt been for the last 6 weeks according to comments he has made recently) that Homer's control is fine. Not that Johnny isnt a very good pitcher, he is. He will probably be making the top 40 of top prospect lists all offseason, which is no small feat.

I have seen Johnny throw probably 60+ innings in person or on TV. I have seen Homer throw a little more than that. I have plenty to back up my statement.

Baseball America's Top 25 Prospects as of July 16.....

Bailey #5 , Cueto not even in the "Just Missed" which added another 10 names or so.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stuff - Homer by a landlide.

Command - Cueto, but not by as much as it has shown this year because I am pretty confident that Homers injury was messing with his command. Still, a healthy Homer doesn't have the command Cueto does.

Velocity - Homer by a little.

Size/projectability - Homer, although I am not too worried at all about Cueto's size, although I wonder how his fastball will be handled by more experienced guys with the lack of downward plane he gets.

The only thing Cueto has better than Homer is his control, and while control is important I think when Homer is healthy (and he hasnt been for the last 6 weeks according to comments he has made recently) that Homer's control is fine. Not that Johnny isnt a very good pitcher, he is. He will probably be making the top 40 of top prospect lists all offseason, which is no small feat.

I have seen Johnny throw probably 60+ innings in person or on TV. I have seen Homer throw a little more than that. I have plenty to back up my statement.
    Yep. Homer is clearly the more projectable arm.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

both is off-speed pitches need work and the biggest of them all - he doesn't know how to pitch......
    You bolded it, not me. But he knows how to pitch probably better than any Reds pitcher right now outside of Harang. He understands pitching pretty darn well. Although he knows how to pitch, doesn't mean he can show it easily. When his command is poor, it is hard for him to show that he knows how to pitch.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Baseball America's Top 25 Prospects as of July 16.....

Bailey #5 , Cueto not even in the "Just Missed" which added another 10 names or so.
    In fairness to Cueto, if any publication is going to ding him points for being undersized and not fitting the prototypical pitcher image, its going to be BA, IMO.

I like what Cueto has done thus far, but he's the type of guy that I'm not going to get terribly excited about until I see what he does against AAA hitters on a regular basis.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

KeyMastur

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    You bolded it, not me. But he knows how to pitch probably better than any Reds pitcher right now outside of Harang. He understands pitching pretty darn well. Although he knows how to pitch, doesn't mean he can show it easily. When his command is poor, it is hard for him to show that he knows how to pitch.
    what ???????? hahaha. that's a good joke. thanks. was havin a rough day.

you're tellin me he's smarter than bronson, lohse, santos, weathers, and yes, even livingston ??

i'm not talkin command. i'm talkin brains.

KeyMastur

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    In fairness to Cueto, if any publication is going to ding him points for being undersized and not fitting the prototypical pitcher image, its going to be BA, IMO.

I like what Cueto has done thus far, but he's the type of guy that I'm not going to get terribly excited about until I see what he does against AAA hitters on a regular basis.
    thank you

BA (Baseball America) will make or break a kids career. you get a good report from them, other people (like the homer-mania people) will start to believe the hype too

what ???????? hahaha. that's a good joke. thanks. was havin a rough day.

you're tellin me he's smarter than bronson, lohse, santos, weathers, and yes, even livingston ??

i'm not talkin command. i'm talkin brains.
    I'll give you Weathers.

thank you

BA (Baseball America) will make or break a kids career. you get a good report from them, other people (like the homer-mania people) will start to believe the hype too
    BA likes Mr Cueto just fine. There is only so much 'hype' than can be created. In the end, everyone makes up their own mind on something for this reason or that reason. I go with my eyes.... not what BA says, although what BA says is actually what teams and teams scouts tell them that helps them form an opinion based on what they see themselves.

Also Keymastur, You seem to laugh at everything you disagree with that someone else says. It started off with me saying Bailey was better than Cueto, then when Aves stated his opinion that was also funny.

You blasted me for my comment and said it was baseless because I probably have never seen Cueto pitch. Then when I came back to you with why I said what I said, and noted how much I have seen each guy pitch you seemingly had no response.

I have a question for you. What makes you any more qualified than me, or Aves, or anyone else for that matter that a simple opinion of who is a better pitcher is laughable if we disagree with you?

I just think it is awesome that the Red's have count them 2 ! Pitchers that will become serious difference makers in the future. God I love the thought!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I'll give you Weathers.
    Sometimes I feel Bronson overthinks himself when he pitches, but that is another topic for another time.

Turn Off Ads?