Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cantu Deal is a Steal

Cantu Deal is a Steal

Trading Calvin Medlock and Brian Shackleford for a guy 2 years removed from hitting 40 2b 28 hrs and 117 rbis. Are you kidding? I know he has struggled this year, but how much of that is due to injury and inconsistent playing time. To get this guy going into the off-season of 05 you would have to deal away at least one top 5 pitcher and one top 5 position player. Well done WK.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cantu Deal is a Steal

well done? what has he done since 05? im not saying he wont help the Reds but alot of guys played well 2 yrs ago...if he has been hurt for 2 yrs, thats a huge red flag...before we say well done, lets see him perform
    Reds fan since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    well done? what has he done since 05? im not saying he wont help the Reds but alot of guys played well 2 yrs ago...if he has been hurt for 2 yrs, thats a huge red flag...before we say well done, lets see him perform
    he was hurt last year and drove in like 60 rbis in around 100 games. Not to compare on what to expect from him but think of Brandon Phillips. Cantu got hurt, ended up getting sent down the next year after recoving from his injury and was pretty upset about it so maybe a change of scenery is a good step in the right direction for him. Its not like we gave up anyone i would be too worried about.

got alil captain in u?

i agree it was steal if he is used correctly. Change of scenery could be exactly what the doctor ordered.

not worried.... but to praise WK like he just acquired A-ROD is a bit much
    Reds fan since 1970

When did they start testing for steroids?

Cantu may have struggled for the last two seasons, but what has Shackleford done to warrant keeping him in the organization? I see no problem with a deal like this.
    Last edited by fadetoblack2880; 07-28-2007 at 07:39 PM.

I would rather see WK make a move like this, then to acquire a ty wigginton like the astros just did. This guy has proven he can produce at the major league level, he fell out of favor in Tampa for whatever reason and just needs a fresh start, kind of reminds me of the julio lugo situation a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    When did they start testing for steroids?
    Can't test for HGH, so you'd pretty much have to assume that most hitters/pitchers benefitting from roids would just make a minor lifestyle change.

Think we just figured out Votto's platoon-mate for 2008.

Or, this truly is the first move in the game of chess that is trade deadline week.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Uh......okay? Not exactly how I interpreted the message, but to each his own I guess.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    Uh......okay? Not exactly how I interpreted the message, but to each his own I guess.
    the thread says DEAL is a STEAL....To get this guy going into the off-season of 05 you would have to deal away at least one top 5 pitcher and one top 5 position player. Well done WK.............sounds like he just traded for A-ROD or something....thats all i was saying...way to excited for a guy who has no glove and hasn't really played in 2 yrs...thats my take....don't get me wrong, i hope he does great things for the Reds....
    Reds fan since 1970

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

While the term "steal" may be a bit premature, there's nothing that says it can't turn into one. (see Phillips.) However, I do think a "steal" falls somewhere in between dealing for Alex Rodriguez and Alex Trevino.

I may be wrong, but if the Reds dealt Shack and Medlock for A-ROD, I would assume the thread titles would be a tad more enthusiastic. I am wrong a lot, though....just ask my wife.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

I'm not sure it was a steal but I don't see a whole lot of downside to this deal. At the very least the Reds added a decent bench player who can hit for some power and fill in at multiple positions on the field. At the same time if he's able to regain his form from 2005 the Reds will have added another quality bat for two middle relievers with limited upside. I don't know about anyone else but it looks like a low risk, high reward situation to me.

Turn Off Ads?