Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Young, Nationals finalize $10 million, 2-year extension

Senor Votto

Young, Nationals finalize $10 million, 2-year extension

Young, Nationals finalize $10 million, 2-year extension

By JAY COHEN, AP Sports Writer
    July 28, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dmitri Young got a chance to revive his career with Washington, and the Nationals aren't about to let him go now.

Young and the Nationals finalized a $10 million, two-year contract extension through 2009, capping an amazing turnaround for the All-Star first baseman.

"It wasn't that hard because both sides were interested in getting it done," Young said Saturday. "For me, this is an organization that believed in me when my chips were down. I have a great support system here and I see the good things that are happening in this organization."

Young will earn $5 million each in 2008 and 2009, and the contract also contains a $6 million option for 2010 that would become guaranteed if he has 500 plate appearances in 2009 or 900 combined in 2008 and 2009.

Details of the deal were provided by a person familiar with the talks who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because no announcements on the terms were authorized.

"This was an easy decision for us to make," team president Stan Kasten said. "We couldn't be happier. He's been so great for us all year and we hope that continues on to the future."

Young, who turns 34 in October, signed a non-guaranteed, minor league deal with Washington in February and is hitting .330 with nine homers and 54 RBIs this season.

He was out of baseball altogether at the end of 2006 after being released by the Detroit Tigers with less than a month left in the regular season.

That was only one part of Young's troublesome year, which included an assault charge, treatment for alcoholism and depression, and being hospitalized for diabetes.

"The person last year wasn't me," he said. "I've fought to get myself back to where I want to be."

General manager Jim Bowden, who knew Young from their days together with the Cincinnati Reds, decided to give him an opportunity and it's paid off.

"We are very pleased that Dmitri Young has decided to remain with us in Washington," Bowden said in a statement. "His infectious love for the game, and playing it the right way, has had a positive influence on this ballclub both in the clubhouse and on the field."

Young made the team as the starting first baseman in place of the injured Nick Johnson and has turned into the last-place Nationals' top hitter. Johnson has struggled to come back after breaking his right leg last season but is trying to get back on the field this year.

Young said he would move to the outfield to make room for Johnson if necessary.

"It's going to be a decision that we're going to have to make in the future when both of them are here ready to contribute," manager Manny Acta said.

Young is with his fourth club in a major league career that began in 1996. He also was an All-Star in 2003 with Detroit.

He is the second veteran player recently given a two-year extension by the rebuilding Nationals. Infielder Ronnie Belliard -- who like Young is in his 30s and joined the team in February with a minor league contract -- agreed to a $3.5 million deal through 2009.

"This week that we've been able to retain two real quality veteran leaders, competitors, that's a real plus for us," Kasten said.

Belliard, now the starting second baseman, has a .298 average with six homers and 32 RBIs.

Young went 1-for-8 as the Nationals split a day-night doubleheader with the Mets on Saturday. He hit an RBI single in the third inning of the nightcap to help Washington win 6-5.

AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Young, Nationals finalize $10 million, 2-year extension

I think the Nationals are going to regret this signing. When Nick Johnson comes back, Young is going to be pushed to the outfield. At his age and size (and the fact he was never a good fielder for the Reds), Young will make Dunn look like a Gold Glover by comparison. As for hitting, Young has had a BABIP of .369, meaning that he has been pretty lucky this year in having the hits fall in. When his BABIP normalizes next year, and he looks much worse, Bowden could have quite the mess on his hands.

He'll just trade him to Seattle like he did Vidro.

Jim Bowden needs to be punched
    Last edited by macro; 07-29-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Profanity...again

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Jim Bowden needs to be punched in the cock sack
    Like him or not it was a good pick up for his team.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Two things:

(1) Even if this blows up in Bowden's face next year, I'm just happy that the Meat Hook got his life and his career back on track. He's probably my most favorite ex-Red still playing the game, so it's cool to know he'll be at it for a few more years.

(2) Though it is not my place to point out Moderatorial Errors, I got a chuckle when Muggerd's "profanity" was edited from his post, but not from DannyB's quote. I was not, however, chuckling at macro's oversight, but instead at the fact that I wouldn't have edited the guy for "profanity." Afterall, we're all over the age of 12 here, right? I would have edited him for an indefensible lack of anatomical expertise. For one can punch Bowden in the [rooster], or one can punch Bowden in the [bag], but unless Bowden is some kind of circus freak, he's not keeping his [rooster] in that [bag]. If he's like me, anyway, all he's got in there are [spherical objects used in sporting endeavors] or [roasted legumes].

Thank you, drive through....

- FR's Inner Beavis

Other than when his personal life was messed up........Dmitri Young has always been a career .300 hitter. I see nothing wrong with this signing other than possibly moving him to the outfield. I wouldn't mind have Dmitri on first base for the Reds. He's a tough as nails hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Like him or not it was a good pick up for his team.
    Like him or not, it was not a good deal. This is like resigning Hatteberg and hatteberg is 5 times the 1st baseman.

Bowden is awful but dont get me wrong i like young but he should have signed with a good team. Nationals will be a bad team as long as Bowden is running things.

Bowden is awful but dont get me wrong i like young but he should have signed with a good team. Nationals will be a bad team as long as Bowden is running things.
    Every other GM passed on him...much like when Krivsky picked up Hatteberg late. But I believe Bowden only had to offer him a minor league contract w/ an invitation to spring training. It was a good low-risk move by Bowden the idiot. I know he has had his share of problems but the guy has always been a dangerous hitter. I was surprised how little interest he had this off-season. Glad he's doing well again he was fun to watch when he was in cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Every other GM passed on him...much like when Krivsky picked up Hatteberg late. But I believe Bowden only had to offer him a minor league contract w/ an invitation to spring training. It was a good low-risk move by Bowden the idiot. I know he has had his share of problems but the guy has always been a dangerous hitter. I was surprised how little interest he had this off-season. Glad he's doing well again he was fun to watch when he was in cincy.
    Exactly, Young is a good guy that had a bad string of things happen quickly. Too bad his GM is awful and he will never have a chance to do anything besides be the best player on the worst team.

Like him or not, it was not a good deal. This is like resigning Hatteberg and hatteberg is 5 times the 1st baseman.
    No,Wayne could have signed Young instead of Conine.Hatteberg is good,sure but lets face it he is a part timer.

Turn Off Ads?