Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ensberg DFA'd

Ensberg DFA'd

per ESPN transactions page. I hope the Reds pick him up. How far he has fallen.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ensberg DFA'd

Why do we need him?
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Why do we need him?
    He can play 1st or 3rd and can kill the ball when healthy and given the opportunity. Houston, for some reason, has limited his playing time for way too long.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I'd love to pick up Ensberg but the Cantu acquistion from yesterday makes it highly unlikely.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I would take him. The guy can get on base. Has some pop. This year has been a down year. Last year he hit .235 with obp of .396. That's impressive. 101 walks with only 387 AB's. Did K a lot, but still walked more. Also had 23 HR's in that time.

Has he ever played 1B? I'd imagine he could given some time to learn, but I don't know that he has. I would also think that it will take something of actual value to land him, unlike the typical DFA, as there's bound to be some competition.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Has he ever played 1B? I'd imagine he could given some time to learn, but I don't know that he has. I would also think that it will take something of actual value to land him, unlike the typical DFA, as there's bound to be some competition.
    I'm also sure that someone will try to trade for him in the next 10 days. All things being equal, I can't see Houston sending him to Cincinnati.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I would take him. The guy can get on base. Has some pop. This year has been a down year. Last year he hit .235 with obp of .396. That's impressive. 101 walks with only 387 AB's. Did K a lot, but still walked more. Also had 23 HR's in that time.
    He strikes me as the kind of guy who might enjoy playing 81 home dates per year at GABP.

If he could be had for nothing, I'd be tempted to say "why not," but I find that I seem to be saying that more and more these days.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

If he could be had for nothing, I'd be tempted to say "why not," but I find that I seem to be saying that more and more these days.
    I don't think that is a bad approach for anyone with any possible upside. Unless they have a major issue (such as Milton Bradly I would never take), then alway take them if they near free (in baseball terms of course).

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I haven't looked at any defensive #'s but I always thought he was a solid defender as well. I guess will see, if no one deals for him he could become a Red as I believe the Reds were rumored to have asked about his availability earlier in the season. Guys have a tendency to stay within their division if at all possible.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'd love to pick up Ensberg but the Cantu acquistion from yesterday makes it highly unlikely.
    Why?

Remember when the Reds picked up Phillips? The team was stacked with middle infielders.

I'd say if he fits the profile of what special K wants to add to the team so he can make other moves then he will go get him.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Get him if he's dirt cheap, unlike Cantu he can play defense in the IF
    Go Gators!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Cantu was so...yesterday.

What I like about Ensberg is his OBP. The guy has very good plate discipline, and can back up 3B (if they keep EE, and he blossoms, as I hope they do, and I hope he does) and be the 1B platoon with Votto, if he needs to be platooned.

Even when he was hitting .230, he was getting on base 37-38% of the time. There's something to be said for that, and RH pop off the bench.

This is the Rich Aurilia replacement, IMO.

His contract is certainly an issue, and he's making more than they wanted to pay Rich. But unlike the Cantu trade, this is an acquisition that will improve this team, IMO.

I think it's all a matter of if they want to take on his contract.

Contract is the whole issue and probably why Houston DFA'd the guy. Do we want to pay almost $5 million for a backup infielder? Of course, he'd be a heckuva an upgrade over Castro/Moeller/Lopez - he fields way better than Cantu and his bat is better and he has plate discipline. Personally I say yes- he'd make a great bench player and if EE went down he could play everyday without a dramatic dropoff. With Kepp backing up AGonz at SS, BP at 2nd and Votto at first with Cantu backing him up, the bench looks much stronger. In fact that's a pretty darn good looking infield.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I would love this. Ensberg would be a very solid pickup. Yes, he has actually played 1B and I agree that he is at least a solid defensive 3B. Plus, if he gets his confidence back (or his HGH hookup, whatever it might be the case) he is a legit 30 HR guy. I think the Reds need a guy like this for next year: A right-handed power hitter who can play 3B (an all-right handed platoon with EE) and 1B (a platoon with Votto). Plus he would come on the cheap and we could use the little money we will have on pitching. Not to mention we wouldn't have to give up anything for him. Get on this Krivsky!

Turn Off Ads?