Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Front Office frustrated...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Reds Front Office frustrated...

Baseball Prospectus

The Cubs beat the Reds in Cincinnati on Saturday, and something happened that has frustrated the Reds front office time and time again occurred: there were more Cubs fans than Reds fans in attendance. The lack of support might be just enough for Bob Castellini to pull the plug on this team. We'll see if the price on Adam Dunn drops.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Reds Front Office frustrated...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Baseball Prospectus

The Cubs beat the Reds in Cincinnati on Saturday, and something happened that has frustrated the Reds front office time and time again occurred: there were more Cubs fans than Reds fans in attendance. The lack of support might be just enough for Bob Castellini to pull the plug on this team. We'll see if the price on Adam Dunn drops.
    What the hell does "pull the plug" mean? Fire sale?

And good God, I hope Bob C. isn't forcing moves out of frustration.

The best way to 'defeat' the Cubs fans attendance issues is to buy those series out himself and give the tickets away to school kids.

He's not going to do that because its giving away 'free' money and the Reds are still a business.

I've stopped going to Reds vs Cubs games because I hate the fans, and I suspect there are more who feel the same way.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I say you simply refuse admittance to Cubs fans.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Incredibly poor writing IMO, that is nothing new, nor is it something that causes a team to make knee jerk moves. Let's just not write anything next time if we have nothing to say.

This weekend has been a boom to Cincinnati. Cub fans bring "outside" money and spend it on Hotels, food, gifts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Baseball Prospectus

Pull the plug? That's the way to show'em! A lot easier to revert back to the SOP of the previous regimes. Get rid of Dunn, Griffey, Harang and Arroyo for minor league dreck and lower your break-even point with the lower payroll.

It's a lot easier to hide behind a mediocre GM/Manager combination ang blame the fans than actually put an entertaining, competitive product on the field. Sheesh!

They're gonna have to win at least a Wild Card and build on that for a year or two before they can ever hope to draw like the old days. Abysmal management, losing and more competition from other forms of summertime entertainment has eroded the fanbase - especially in the out-lying portions. Some still haven't forgiven the strike seasons.

This can be a profitable franchise, but it's gonna take competency and a lot of hard work. Retrenchment and blaming the fans only push success farther in the future though. In the meantime, gladly take the money from the Scrubbie Scum and shutup!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Pull the plug? That's the way to show'em! A lot easier to revert back to the SOP of the previous regimes. Get rid of Dunn, Griffey, Harang and Arroyo for minor league dreck and lower your break-even point with the lower payroll.

It's a lot easier to hide behind a mediocre GM/Manager combination ang blame the fans than actually put an entertaining, competitive product on the field. Sheesh!

They're gonna have to win at least a Wild Card and build on that for a year or two before they can ever hope to draw like the old days. Abysmal management, losing and more competition from other forms of summertime entertainment has eroded the fanbase - especially in the out-lying portions. Some still haven't forgiven the strike seasons.

This can be a profitable franchise, but it's gonna take competency and a lot of hard work. Retrenchment and blaming the fans only push success farther in the future though. In the meantime, gladly take the money fromthe Scrubbie Scum and shutup!
    That also means they will have to spend more money within. Where do you think that is going to come from?

there were more Cubs fans than Reds fans in attendance
    Was it that obvious, or was a poll taken as people entered the turnstiles?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    This weekend has been a boom to Cincinnati. Cub fans bring "outside" money and spend it on Hotels, food, gifts, etc.
    Yup.

Cubs fans are like cockroaches, but if you figure there were 10-15k of them there last night and only 10% stayed the night, thats an additional 1,000 people booking hotel reservations in Cincinnati for the night.

Thats big dollars for an economy like this on a random summer night...and thats not even factoring in how many cubs t-shirts I saw out at the Cadillac Ranch last night.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I don't know, but I suspect a lot of those Cubs "fans" are actually Reds "fans" when the Cubs aren't in town.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Was it that obvious, or was a poll taken as people entered the turnstiles?

yes it was that obvious and sounded bad on the tube. it should send a message to the front office that something isn't right. the SOS every year isn't cutting it any longer. if the FO isn't commited to winning than let the fire sale begin. maybe bringing up bruce, cueto and votto will bring some intrest back into this francise. if we must lose at least lets do in with some younger talent and let them get experience up in the majors.(see the tigers in 2003)
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I don't know, but I suspect a lot of those Cubs "fans" are actually Reds "fans" when the Cubs aren't in town.

its funny you say that as i could swear i saw some reds fans clapping as the cubs were about to put the game away.:thumbdown

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Clearly this team hasn't spent enough money on veteran players with the experience to win ballgames. We need more people who "want to win" and "know how to win." Luckily Jorge Cantu is a great start in this new direction.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Clearly this team hasn't spent enough money on veteran players with the experience to win ballgames. We need more people who "want to win" and "know how to win." Luckily Jorge Cantu is a great start in this new direction.

i like the cantu move if they can find a place for him to play everday.

Turn Off Ads?