Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What a week it's been

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

What a week it's been

Well, hello from Laredo, more specifically the pay for use internet terminal at the Flying J off exit 13.

I left home Monday morning and ran up to Boston, went from Boston to McConnelsburg, PA on Tuesday, toured Gettsyburg on Wednesday, went from York, PA to Flint, MI on Thursday, and left Michigan for Laredo on Friday,where I delivered this morning at 8:00. I figure I'll get out of here tomorrow, hopefully back toward Cincy.

Well, it's a tough schedule, but I'm making some good money and maybe we'll be able to build that log house sooner than later. I hope to get a laptop soon, but I'll check in from the truck stops when I can, as often as .20 a minute will allow.

By the way, I know we have some zoners in San Antonio. Nice town, or at least as far as I could tell at 2:00 am.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What a week it's been

Hang tough! You will be rewarded for your efforts.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    By the way, I know we have some zoners in San Antonio. Nice town, or at least as far as I could tell at 2:00 am.
    I hope that all of the roads you needed to use in San Antonio were open when you came through. TXDOT has a tendency to close roads and do construction and repair projects in the overnight hours.

You're one up on me. I haven't made it down to Laredo yet, even though it's only a couple of hours away.

I do know that unbelievable amounts of freight travel through the ports of Laredo, Del Rio and Brownsville. I heard a projection the other day that the amount of freight coming up from Mexico will increase by 350% in the next decade. That's a big reason that the state government here is pushing for toll roads to be built quickly to accommodate all of that traffic. If you liked the trip, there should be plenty more opportunities to make it again.

Holy smokes...Flint to Laredo?! Wow.

Hang tough, ORH!

I was in Flint, MI a couple of months ago. It was quite, ah, something.

I did not, however, then turn around and drive to Texas.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I'm still in Laredo, borrowing a laptop from another driver who is outside smoking. Trusting soul, isn't he? The hard thing about this work isn't the driving, it's the sitting. You spend a lot of time sitting around and then you make a lot of money when you're not sitting, kind of like Dunn when he's not striking out. Anyway, here's hoping my phone rings soon and I can get out of here. In the meantime, I'm going to see what y'all have been saying for the last week. I hope that guy takes his time smoking.

Is Ice Road Trucking in your future,ORH? I have been watching that series on the History Channel and gotten hooked on it. It's amazing what the guys are doing.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Is Ice Road Trucking in your future,ORH? I have been watching that series on the History Channel and gotten hooked on it. It's amazing what the guys are doing.
    No way. Those people are crazy. I don't drive big trucks. I have a 2007 Dodge Sprinter.

Still stuck in Laredo. Slow freight day. Hopefully I'll get something tomorrow, hopefully toward a cooler climate.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Still stuck in Laredo. Slow freight day. Hopefully I'll get something tomorrow, hopefully toward a cooler climate.
    As I walked out in the streets of Laredo
    As I walked out in Laredo one day
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Just don't cross into Nuevo Laredo. At least not at night.

But it's OK if you read "Streets of Laredo" by Larry McMurtry.

It's a good book.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'm no longer in Laredo. I went down to Brownsville and picked up a load going to Shreveport, pulled an all nighter to get it here by morning. I've asked to be sent somewhere cooler.

did you see "the station" while you were in Brownsville?

School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    did you see "the station" while you were in Brownsville?

Nope. I went straight to the pickup, and then straight out of town.

Turn Off Ads?