Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey to Seattle?

Griffey to Seattle?

Found this on C Trent's blog this morning ...

Also, yeah, I've heard the rumors about Griffey being traded to Seattle. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I am saying it hasn't. Even though I don't think it will.
    Anyone hear anything else on this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey to Seattle?

"I heard Griffey will be traded to Oz for a couple of munchcens. Im not saying it won't happen but im saying it hasn't....I don't think itll happen..."

Sometimes i think some of htese guys throw crap up on the wall and see what sticks.

No team needs Jr. more than the Mariners. No city would welcome him more than Seattle.

If Jr. gets dealt, that's where he's going.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

C Trent's comment was worded funny enough for it to be true.

Pay attention to the open sky

Gallagher's head would explode.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Griffey is not their savior.

Well, I am a Mariners fan as well as being a Reds fan. I was at the game on June 24th when Jr. hit two home runs, and the fans gave him a standing ovation. At the end of the game, Ken waved his cap at the fans and acknowledged his appreciation for them. Many Mariners fans would love to have him back.

That being said, the Mariners probably do not need him to put people in the seats. Their average attendance is already up over last year (31,725 so far in 2007; 30,626 in 2006) but it used to be higher. Their average attendance was 43,300 in 2001, and 43,739 in 2002, and 40,351 in 2003, and 36, 305 in 2004. Of course their highest years since Safeco Field opened in 1999 have been the years they won the most games.

The Mariners have two of the best outfield prospects in the game waiting in AAA Tacoma.

Adam Jones has a 2007 line of .317/.385/.587 for an OPS of .972 with 24 Home runs.
    Wladimir Balentien has a line of .306/. 379/.554 for an OPS of .933 with 23 Home runs.

The Mariners current outfield is Jose Guillen in right, Ichiro in center, and Raul Ibanez in left. Jose Vidro is their main DH. Mariners fans are already mad that Jones hasn't been called up to Seattle.

Why would the Mariners want to add Juniors salary and delay these two big bats MLB debut? Well, Junior is certainly the more proven MLB commodity, and will boost attendance. But many in the Mariners more knowledgeable fan base don’t want them to acquire any outside outfield help.

From U.S.S. Mariner yesterday: “The only thing this team needs less than a new right-handed reliever is a new center fielder.”
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    That being said, the Mariners probably do not need him to put people in the seats. Their average attendance is already up over last year (31,725 so far in 2007; 30,626 in 2006) but it used to be higher. Their average attendance was 43,300 in 2001, and 43,739 in 2002, and 40,351 in 2003, and 36, 305 in 2004. Of course their highest years since Safeco Field opened in 1999 have been the years they won the most games.

The Mariners have two of the best outfield prospects in the game waiting in AAA Tacoma.

Adam Jones has a 2007 line of .317/.385/.587 for an OPS of .972 with 24 Home runs.
    Wladimir Balentien has a line of .306/. 379/.554 for an OPS of .933 with 23 Home runs.

The Mariners current outfield is Jose Guillen in right, Ichiro in center, and Raul Ibanez in left. Jose Vidro is their main DH. Mariners fans are already mad that Jones hasn't been called up to Seattle.

Why would the Mariners want to add Juniors salary and delay these two big bats MLB debut? Well, Junior is certainly the more proven MLB commodity, and will boost attendance. But many in the Mariners more knowledgeable fan base don’t want them to acquire any outside outfield help.

From U.S.S. Mariner yesterday: “The only thing this team needs less than a new right-handed reliever is a new center fielder.”

I know a lot of people here would like to have Guillen back.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I thought Griffey's interest was said to be only in a trade that would move him closer to his ailing parents. Since he has veto rights, it seems wholly implausible that any of the above reasons would outweigh that and lead him to sign off on a trade that takes him 3 timezones farther away from them.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-30-2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: fixt typeau

I think it would be a GREAT story for Junior to go back to the M's...but I don't think it is going to happen.

Junior isn't going anywhere...the Reds have invested as much money in him as they have (yes even with home town discount) and now he is finally physically able to produce and nearing 600 HR's...the Reds would have to get back SO MUCH to give up the marketing and ticket revenue from this..Because of the milestone the asking price would be INCREDIBLY STEEP...Junior isn't going anywhere.

Maybe Dunn will be going someplace...but Junior isn't until after he hits 600
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

So that's more than 10,000 fans a game the team could draw. That's a lot of seats in search of fannies. Jr. would surely help cure that problem.

Well, Jr. wouldn't be a CF. The Mariners decidedly lack power, particularly from LF and DH. If the franchise wants to win something this year or next, Jones and Balentien probably aren't the answer. Jones seems to be the anointed star of the duo, so if the Mariners could build an OF/DH mix around Ichiro/Guillen/Jones/Jr. that would probably be the best mix of immediate and long-term concerns.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Also, yeah, I've heard the rumors about Griffey being traded to Seattle. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I am saying it hasn't. Even though I don't think it will.
    Hey guys I might be going on a date tonight with Jessica Biel, I am not saying it won't happen.... I just don't think it will.

(Honestly, I sometimes think writers posted obscure little tidbits like this to get people to their blogs.)

from BP on Friday (John Perrotto)

The Reds have decided not to trade center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., while no team has been willing to meet their high asking price for left fielder Adam Dunn.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Seattle needs LH power. For example, if they want to beat the Angels head-to-head, they're going to have to be able to score against a rotation that likely has 4 righthanders -- Weaver, Lackey, Escobar and Santana/Colon/Adenhart and a nasty RH bullpen including Moseley, Speier, Shields and K-Rod. Right now their LH bats are Vidro, Ibanez and Broussard. Jones and Balentien are righthanded. I think they get a solid offensive boost by putting Jr in right fulltime and platooning Guillen and Ibanez in left and Sexson and Broussard at first. Vidro can stay at DH.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So that's more than 10,000 fans a game the team could draw. That's a lot of seats in search of fannies. Jr. would surely help cure that problem.
    I think Griffey clearly adds attendance there. Still, with the M's still in the race in August for the first time in several years, it is going up already. For the just ended 4 game series against the A's, who are back a ways behind the Ms, they pulled 34 k, 37 k, 41 k, and 41 k. The weekend games were sell outs. Not sure that Jr. would add many more on those games.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, Jr. wouldn't be a CF. The Mariners decidedly lack power, particularly from LF and DH. If the franchise wants to win something this year or next, Jones and Balentien probably aren't the answer. Jones seems to be the anointed star of the duo, so if the Mariners could build an OF/DH mix around Ichiro/Guillen/Jones/Jr. that would probably be the best mix of immediate and long-term concerns.
    I agree with that mostly. Raul Ibanez has been a real disappointment his year so far. Vidro has a decent average and OBP, but also no power.

However, to get Jr., the Ms will have to give up something fairly good, add salary, and push back a minor leaguer's development. We shall see....maybe they would do it....
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Turn Off Ads?