Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teixeira to Braves, Salty to Rangers

Re: Teixeira to Braves, Salty to Rangers

This is all win for Texas. Teixeira may be good, but he's not as good away from the band-box in Arlington. Salty is a stand up C, that park will only enhance his monster numbers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Braves got ripped apart... Salty & Elvis!!! Geez, I would have given Dunn up to get ONE of the two. Texas got both!

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...n-140-million/

Mark Teixeira Turned Down $140 Million
    Posted Jul 31st 2007 5:18PM by PostmanE
    Filed under: Houston, Rangers, AL Central, MLB Gossip

Were it not for Kevin Garnett and the assorted NBA explosion yesterday, poor Mark Teixeira would have been the single biggest trade of the day, and perhaps the week. In any case, the Teixeira deal to the Braves remains the biggest of MLB's deadline, maybe -- maybe -- excepting Eric Gagne's last second move to Boston.

But it almost wasn't: Rangers owner Tom Hicks said he offered Teixeira a full-sized, eight year deal for $140 million. It included Teixeira's arbitration number for one year, and then seven years at $18 million per. Teixeira turned it down, and that was that:

"I've always loved Tex as a player," Hicks said Tuesday by phone from California. "I was personally involved in signing him and I wanted him to be a face of this organization, along with Michael Young, for the long term.
    "I thought we made enough of an offer to keep him a Ranger for life. I'm disappointed he turned it down, but I think we did everything we could to keep him. Now, we've got some very good young players coming here and I feel with some good moves and free-agent signings, we can be a championship team."

This announcement isn't going to endear Teixeira to Rangers fans; whether they like Hicks or not (and most don't), it's hard to see how Marky Mark could get a better offer on the open market than $18 million a year. Maybe he will, I don't know, but more than anything it makes clear that Teixeira had very little loyalty to the Rangers, nor any inclination to cut them a slight break in any extension.

The Rangers did really well at the trade deadline; I only wish the Reds had done that well.

Turn Off Ads?