Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post-Trade Deadline Merged Threads

Post-Trade Deadline Merged Threads

The trade deadline is over and I am very disappointed.

Hatteberg, Conine, Weathers are still on the team. Dunn and Griffey both are and while I didn't want them to leave I would have been excited to have seen what might have been. Is it possible that no one needed Weathers? This guy should have brought some major talent back. The 2 headed first baseman would have been good to have gotten rid of so that Votto could be up here. Are we playing for 2007?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What a major disappointment this has been!

after all this excitement I am going to need a nap.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I can see Hatteburg, Conine, Weathers, and even Griffey passing through waivers, so they may move in August.

Dunn (thankfully) should be a Red the rest of the year.

It's like waking up on Christmas morning and finding you've only got tube socks under the tree.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    I can see Hatteburg, Conine, Weathers, and even Griffey passing through waivers, so they may move in August.

The old fluff is definitely wavier material. Though, we enjoy the thrill of a blockbuster

It's official - Reds made no trades today

From John Fay:
    John Fay reports that manager Pete Mackanin talked to general manager Wayne Krivsky shortly after the non-waiver trade deadline (4 p.m.), and Mackanin said that Krivsky told him the Reds didn't make any trades. The Reds did make one move. Catcher Chad Moeller was outrighted to Triple-A, and infielder Mark Bellhorn was called up.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post

3 of those guys are on relatively cheap contracts. I doubt they would clear waivers.

In reference to the "grade Krivsky" threads earlier in the year I said the jury's still out; let's see what he does to pump talent into this team between now and the end of 2007. Well a major opportunity just passed w/o adding anything significant to this team's needs and maybe even subtracted a possible bullpem arm in Medlock. Sure, he may still make some deals between now and the end of the year but it'll be harder.

Krivsky is failing my test as a GM that can improve this team's fortunes. He still gets 'till the end of the year but I'm leaning towards the thinking that he's not "the guy" and I would not be disappointed if Cast removes him prematurely.

BTW, were there any deadline deals today?

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: It's official - Reds made no trades today

[sarcasm]Sweet.[/sarcasm]

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

The only thing I'm dissapointed in is Weathers.

It doesn't look like Krivsky tried to move him, when it seemed that there was a pretty nice market for him. Other than that, I guess it would have been nice to see Conine moved, but I doubt the Reds would have gotten anyone back of even moderate interest.

John Fay speculated a couple of days ago that Wayne might want to give Pete a fair shake as far as winning the manager job. He couldn't trade any major talent away in order to do that. This is what Fay wrote on Sunday:

My guess is Kyle Lohse is gone. Scott Hatteberg and/or Jeff Conine also might be moved.

Beyond that, I don't see a lot happening.

That's because - this is just my theory - Krivsky wants to give interim manager Pete Mackanin a fair chance to earn the permanent gig. For Mackanin to do that, the Reds have to continue to play well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    BTW, were there any deadline deals today?
    I think WK is not quite sure what to do to get this turned around. There isn't a get well plan, just a hope that players will start performing at a higher level.

Doing nothing is better than doing the wrong thing.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I'm more upset that Votto will keep sitting down in AAA while the vet squad keeps manning 1st base.

and Bellhorn? yipes
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    The only thing I'm dissapointed in is Weathers.

It doesn't look like Krivsky tried to move him, when it seemed that there was a pretty nice market for him. Other than that, I guess it would have been nice to see Conine moved, but I doubt the Reds would have gotten anyone back of even moderate interest.

Tube socks would have been fine for him... I just wanted to see Votto. Now, oh well...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

You guys keep missing the memo. This team is soooo close to contending....

Turn Off Ads?