83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- I want Adam for 1 more year

61 73.49%
  • No- Give me the draft picks

22 26.51%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Adam Dunn's Option Poll

Re: The Adam Dunn's Option Poll

I bet 5 of the NO votes were from Marty Brennaman.

Seems like we have overwhelming support for keeping Dunn. The small minority sure does raise a ruckus though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dunn has to go. He should have been gone before the season, if they pay Dunn 13 million next year I will never go to another game.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

The option will be picked up if not traded in the off season
    Reds fan since 1970

They will pick up the Option. BUT, I've heard we CANNOT trade him in the off-season - possibly up until June, and then only to a base of teams he selects.

They would more than likely look to sign him long-term, OR trade him to someone NEXT year who wants to sign him LT (Bowden?).

PEACE

-BLEEDS

For the record had we dumped adam dunn last year on anyteam for ANYTHING.. we could have gone out and got soriano for his salary.. a real leadoff hitter that plays in the field.. might just be my opinion, but i promise it is a winning one...

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    They will pick up the Option. BUT, I've heard we CANNOT trade him in the off-season - possibly up until June, and then only to a base of teams he selects.

They would more than likely look to sign him long-term, OR trade him to someone NEXT year who wants to sign him LT (Bowden?).
    They can trade him if he agrees to waive the non-trade clause, like Gagne to the Red Sox. As long as it isn't a trade to the Royals, Dunn would probably sign off on a deal, especially if it involved a nice fat extension.

I have seen the the question posed if the Reds can afford Dunn at 10 million, than why can they not affor $3 million more? That's an easy "yes" especially with Milton off the books. However, I say that is NOT the question. The question should be: if the Reds pay Dunn $13 million, can they afford to get what they need in order to be competetive? That's a much more difficult question to answer.

BLEEDS laid out his case in another thread with how he thinks that can do that (and pay Zambrano). Link (post 10). I don't think Zambrano would come here, nor simply adding him would be enough. They need a couple of starting pitchers, a closer, a lead off hitter, and a catcher who can hit over the Mendoza line. That's a lot of $$ that has to come from somewhere. Replacing Dunn in the outfield with a young, cheap lead off hitter would be a start.

If zambrano continues how he has been pitching.. about the only suitors that could afford him will be the red sox yankees or angels.. he will be commanding at least 20 mil a year for any long term deal..

Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    They can trade him if he agrees to waive the non-trade clause, like Gagne to the Red Sox. As long as it isn't a trade to the Royals, Dunn would probably sign off on a deal, especially if it involved a nice fat extension.
    Perhaps. Let's hope Bowden is still itchy to get rid of Cordero...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Perhaps. Let's hope Bowden is still itchy to get rid of Cordero...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I would love that deal like a fat kid loves cake... trade away a overpaid 29 year old.. for a 4 mil a year closer at the younger age of 25.. I would take that in a heartbeat.. especially because then we can potentially fatten our payroll by using the rest of that 9 mil to go get a torii hunter or another gg caliber player even if his contract would be like 17 mil a year.. maybe a 6 year 95 million dollar contract or something that is back ended..

based on a few conversations i have had.. many people think Cast will be upping our payroll about 15-20 mil this offseason.. which would open us up to a hunter type player..

The rest of that money can go to give phillips a sweet 7 year 50 mil contract.. he has said multiple times he wants to be here until he retires.. he grew up a reds fan..

And with Miltys money cleared up you go get 1 or 2 more PROVEN veterans.. like a stanton or weathers.. but tell the manager not to play them 9 days in a row...
    Last edited by Ahhhorsepoo; 08-01-2007 at 12:20 PM.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

They should sit down very soon with AD or his agent and try work out a contract extension. If that can't be worked out, then they should inform Dunn and his agent that they will decline the option and offer him arbitration. They should add that 2008 will be his last season in a Reds' uniform. This would, IMO, force AD to decline arbitration and give the Reds the compensation picks. What this would accomplish is to let the Reds sooner, rather than later, whether AD has any intention of staying in Cincinnati long-term. If he plans to leave Cincinnati after 2008 then the Reds may as well get the draft picks as soon as possible to start the rebuilding process, since I feel that they are not going to be serious contenders next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    I would love that deal like a fat kid loves cake... trade away a overpaid 29 year old.. for a 4 mil a year closer at the younger age of 25.. I would take that in a heartbeat.. especially because then we can potentially fatten our payroll by using the rest of that 9 mil to go get a torii hunter or another gg caliber player even if his contract would be like 17 mil a year.. maybe a 6 year 95 million dollar contract or something that is back ended..
    Cordero will be eligible for arbitration. I'd offer him a 3/4 year LTD as well, otherwise you're probably guaranteed to pay him ~$6M or so - still a $7M savings over Dunn.

I would love to get a Torii Hunter in here, maybe since he played for K he would consider Cincinnati (?)

based on a few conversations i have had.. many people think Cast will be upping our payroll about 15-20 mil this offseason.. which would open us up to a hunter type player..
    Who were these conversations with - your neighbor, in the backyard - or do you have some "insider" friends?

The rest of that money can go to give phillips a sweet 7 year 50 mil contract.. he has said multiple times he wants to be here until he retires.. he grew up a reds fan..
    No reason to offer him that much. I think we can do a few years of arbitration before giving him that kind of Long-Term money. 7 yrs/$30M might be more understandable given the arbitration number he might demand (~$3M?) as a first year eligible.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Let's look at the minors before we decide whether or not to give Dunn an extension. We have Bruce waiting, but he will probably replace Griffey in right. Chris Dickerson is another option. He is an outstanding outfielder, but he also strikes out a lot. If we decide to receive the draft picks for Dunn, we will need to bring up a outfielder from AAA. I would not give Dunn a long extension, but I would sign him to a short 2-3 year deal. I would hope by then we would have help from the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Dunn has to go. He should have been gone before the season, if they pay Dunn 13 million next year I will never go to another game.
    But you support the team in spite of giving Milton $9 million? Go watch a terrible overpaid pitcher, but boycott an above average LF being paid market level? Makes sense to me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    That is correct, AR, but I would have to believe there is at least a good possibility Dunn would accept. A matter of opinion, I suppose.
    Assuming the Reds did decide to not pick up the option, I can't see Dunn accepting arbitration. IMHO if Dunn were to hit the free agent market he's probably going to be able to sign a four or five year deal in the neighborhood of $15 mil per season. I don't think that it would make much sense to pass on that kind of payday to come back for one year and have to deal with the same sort of instability he's been dealing with the past few years in Cincinnati.

On the flip side would Adam Dunn accepting arbitration really be the end of the world?

If they pickup Adam Dunn's option I would expect the Reds to be very active in free agency.

Turn Off Ads?