Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A few observations from last night's game

A few observations from last night's game

Since last night was the first opportunity I have had this year to catch the redlegs in person, I thought I'd share a few thoughts/observations. Take 'em for what they're worth (not much). We got there a few minutes late (thanks, taxi cab driver--your "shortcut" was a great way to get to the ballpark, as half the city was using it.) So we walked in at the top of the 2nd.

--Keppinger has the opportunity to become a real CIncinnati fan favorite Freel-type player. The guy looked very comfortable at short last night. I'm still not convinced his offensive skills are anything other than mediocre, but I'd prefer to see him on the field 11 times out of 10 over Juan Castro.

--If Livingston isn't hitting his spots, he's toast. His velocity wasn't that great (if the RFK radar gun is to be believed), but he had good location for the first few innings and hung in there. (Well, that and he was facing the Nats.) But in the 5th, he just started tossing these 91 MPH fastballs with no movement right over the plate, and the Nats hitters ate him for lunch.

--Todd Coffey is such a streaky pitcher, I don't really know what to make of him. Came in in a tough situation last night and managed to stop the bleeding, then spared further damage to the pen by going a couple more innings. Too bad he's just as likely to repeat that performance as not the next time he pitches.

--I think some of the recent observations about Dunn I've been reading here are correct. When he gets bat on ball, more often than not he mashes. But if he's facing a pitcher who's good at hitting the corners and not giving batters anything to hit, it's difficult for him to succeed. There was one AB in particular last night where he seemed to just flail at a couple of pitches that were just outside. Those of you who think Dunn's BA would jump if he were more selective with his pitches, might want to think again. He's a mistake-pitch hitter, and at this point in his career isn't likely to deviate from that. Appreciate him for what he is.

--People love Junior. Flash bulbs going off every time he came to bat, cheers when he was announced, etc. The guy behind me said to his friend "You know, I'm only here tonight to see Junior. Just imagine, if he'd been able to stay healthy..." How very true. He may not have aged well, but he's aged gracefully.

--To that end, lots of reds gear at RFK last night. My wife said it's because of all the Ohio transplants out here. I have no idea what she was talking about.

I might have had more to comment on, but I spent an inordinant amount of time bantering with the wife (boring her, more likely) about some of the finer points of the game, and frequently scowling at the hoarse-voiced, obnoxiously drunk woman seated directly next to me.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A few observations from last night's game

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I might have had more to comment on, but I spent an inordinant amount of time bantering with the wife (boring her, more likely) about some of the finer points of the game, and frequently scowling at the hoarse-voiced, obnoxiously drunk woman seated directly next to me.
    When I take my wife and 2 daughters to the Reds game, they take turns sitting next to me since I blather on (and on and on) about the game. I usually wear out whoever is sitting next to me after a couple innings. At which time, they go visit the ladies room and come back and sit in a different configuration whereupon I have a fresh ear to speak at.

As long as I spring for cotton candy, pretzels, coneys, etc., they seem to tolerate me.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    As long as I spring for cotton candy, pretzels, coneys, etc., they seem to tolerate me.
    The Mrs. demands an italian sausage and a soft serve. In exchange, she gets an earful about the managerial philosophy behind "the shift".

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

That's bound to happen when you sit between your wife and your girlfriend at the same game.

The Mrs. demands an italian sausage and a soft serve. In exchange, she gets an earful about the managerial philosophy behind "the shift".
    I was proud of my youngest at the last game we went to. She noticed that the shift they put on Griffey was less pronounced than the shift on Dunn. At least the Brewers version of it.

However, she probably regretted it because she then got 15 minutes of my opinions on "the shift". But pre-bloviation, I bought her some cotton candy so it seemed a fair trade.

Pay attention to the open sky

Thanks for the report,registerthis. I'm not going to be able to make it to RFK to see the Reds this season. Just too busy working two jobs and all. Maybe next season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

--To that end, lots of reds gear at RFK last night. My wife said it's because of all the Ohio transplants out here. I have no idea what she was talking about.
    Strange how you seem to hear that sort of comment a lot. Like when the Cubs were in the 'nati last week it was said more than once how there were so many people who lived in Cincinnati who were Chicago transplants. I always found it strange personally.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Ohio has one of the largest populations per state in the country. It's also losing people at a higher rate than most other states. That's the reason for so many transplants.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Strange how you seem to hear that sort of comment a lot. Like when the Cubs were in the 'nati last week it was said more than once how there were so many people who lived in Cincinnati who were Chicago transplants. I always found it strange personally.
    I think it's largely true in D.C. There's almost no native Washingtonians, seems like everybody moved here from somewhere else. And then complain about how things were better wherever it was they came from. But that's another topic for another time.

I'd be surprised if there were many Chicago transplants living in CIncinnati to make a sizeable dent in the fanbase there. Likely, there's just a lot of people who fell victim to that "Loveable Loser" moniker.

Turn Off Ads?