Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Cincinnati Mentality and the Reds

Re: The Cincinnati Mentality and the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Personally, I think Cincinnati's general attitude reflects the attitude of the Southern Germans that made up a sizable portion of the population in the early days of the town. It's a bit complex but there's this combination of laid-back politeness and finding pleasure in the simpler things in life, coupled with manic depression, self-loathing and an underlying current of prejudice (at least in some circles). When things are going good, Cincinnatians can kick back and enjoy it like the best of them. When things are going poorly, they're ready with the torches and pitchforks. .
    Well, I disagree about the blue-collar part. We are not as industrial as Cleveland, true. But Cincinnati until the 1990's had a strong presence of machine tool manfacutring, auto mfg/assembly, aircraft engine manufacturing and so on. Cincinnati Milicron is a shadow of it's former self. The auto plant in Norwood (Ford?) was torn down, and now the Batavia transmission plant is closing. There's still a big Ford plant in Sharonville. General Electric laid off thousands and is nowhere as big as what they used to be. Tool and Die shops have dried up. In the 1990's several large steel fabricating plants in Cincy went bust.

Cincinnati of 2007 is nowhere near as "industrial" as it was in say 1980.

But your point about the Germanic influence and the results is spot on. Great point.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-02-2007 at 07:22 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    It takes the right blend of talent and hustle to win. You definitely need the talented and gifted players, but you also need to surround them with a little bit of grit and desire. The two, when played off of in the right mix, are usually a recipe for winning. It takes some vision and luck to put the two together.

Personally, I think this team is, basically, poorly constructed. It's way past time to make some changes cause the current model is never going to get anything done.
    We could use some consistent .300 hitters on this team IMHO.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-02-2007 at 09:10 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I'd consider Brandon Phillips' two stolen bases tonight the ultimate example of hustle. Greater than running out bases on balls or jumping into the stands after a foul ball.
    I see it a little differently than you. I see Phillips knowledge of the game and the situation. From the get go Phillips knows if he can steal second it would be very difficult for Zimmerman to catch him at third. There is a lot that went into that double steal that most of us realize. It was getting a good read on the pitchers move to home as well as first, getting a good jump, and making the split second decision to try and stretch in to third. It was great hustle but it was also a great baseball play.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We could use some consistent .300 hitters on this team IMHO.
    There is no doubt about that.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I think most cities and people - obviously since people live in cities - like to think of themselves as "blue collar" even if they are not. It's somewhat a badge of honor to be "blue collar". You're not poor but you're not rich. You work but you aren't in some ivory tower somewhere.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's somewhat a badge of honor to be "blue collar".
    My dad claims it's prestigious to go somewhere all dirty because it shows you're a hard worker. I don't buy into it as I see it as quite embarrassing.

Turn Off Ads?