Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I'm thinking about purchasing a new car...

So I'm thinking about purchasing a new car...

Does anyone have any specific recommendations? One of the cars that I really like the looks of is the new Nissan Altima Coupe. I would prefer a car since my whole life I've driven either a truck or an SUV.

One of my other questions is this: is it silly to buy a new car working your first job after college? Meaning, should I scale back and look at buying a low mileage used car to avoid the immediate depreciation costs associated? I'm trying to be as fiscally responsible as I can but I'm also ready to reward myself for getting through graduate school and landing a job. Any advice?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So I'm thinking about purchasing a new car...

Personally? I'd buy a used car and not take the depreciation hit...but I do love that new car smell.

The Altima is a nice choice.

Look for a 2005 or 2006, though. New cars are great, but you pay for them for a long, long time.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Personally? I'd buy a used car and not take the depreciation hit...but I do love that new car smell.
    That's my take as well.

I've bought >10 new cars and I've finally come around to the conclusion that buying a good used car (1-4 yrs.) is the smart way to go. Some things take me a while to learn.

You can save several thousands of dollars and get a darn fine car.

But I understand about the new car smell and the rush you get from driving it away from the dealer. But both the smell and rush don't last.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I really like WOY's Subaru Outback.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

But I understand about the new car smell and the rush you get from driving it away from the dealer. But both the smell and rush don't last.
    But the payments and the remorse do. I am going to buy a new car next summer and I am trying to decide between a newer used and a new. I can get the green slip discout from Chrysler so If I buy new it will be a jeep product.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Here's a blast from the past that might help you out.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35058
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I don't like buying someone elses problems, so I'm a new car girl. I buy, no lease for me. I keep a vehicle at least 10 years.

All that said, I'd wait until I was in a new job for 6 - 12 months before I even thought about buying a new car.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

If you can find a return on a 2-yr lease, that would be a pretty good way to go. That's what my wife and I did on our Pathfinder way way back in 1996 and it served us extremely well. We bought it from the dealer who had orignally leased it to the original lessee. Seemed almost new to us. Try to stay away from the 1st model year of a new vehicle or 1st year of a radical makeover. We did buy our last 2 vehicles new though. Sometimes the most free you'll feel with your money is when your just out of school and have few other finanacial commitments (depending on any school loans). If you're in good shape there I might recommend to just go for it.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I just go to the local used car guy down the road who also does my repairs.

Nice perk of living in a small town.

Got a 2001 Impala for $5k off - he just took it on trade in and I walked in and told him what I could spend on a car.

I got a 2000 Windstar - for $7500 less on what the local Ford dealer had - same type of van and all.

I still have both of them - and barely a car payment.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I don't like buying someone elses problems, so I'm a new car girl. I buy, no lease for me. I keep a vehicle at least 10 years.

All that said, I'd wait until I was in a new job for 6 - 12 months before I even thought about buying a new car.
    I agree with a lot of this, so I always buy new as well. I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined, so a brand new warranty never hurts either : )

I'm actually looking for a new car too. I went "shopping" last weekend. Boy, the sales people can really be annoying:thumbdown No, really, I'm JUST LOOKING right now!! I don't need you to walk me through every feature that every car you sell has

I'm leaning towards an Audi right now, but having trouble breaking away from my GM past. My very first car was a VW Bug, but ever since it's been nothing but GM. It's not that I think they're the world's best cars or anything. I guess it's just embedded in me that they are "American" made, which I realize is only partially true.

Oh well, it's going to be a long process, because as much as I want a new car, I really don't want a new car payment again. I really do enjoy owning my car, as opposed to the bank:

I'd also like to point out that insurance is usually cheaper on a 2 year old car than on a new model.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I always look for a used car with around 20,000 miles on it.

You miss the big up front depreciation, which could be over a third of the cost of a new car.

That new car smell doesn't last long enough to be worth that kind of cash.

And the most important thing you could have going for you when looking for a car is patience. Don't let the salesman get you all twitterpated with new car fever.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

High five!

I agree with a pre-owned car. Especially now that dealers are offering warranties and whatnot on them.

Your best bargaining tool (like in anything) is to just walk away if the salesman is too pushy or not doing what you want him to.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I never have, and never plan on, buying a new car. Like others in this thread have already stated, you depreciate a huge amount of cash the moment you drive it off the lot.

Buy a 1-2 year old car with minimal miles on it. It still may have that new car outgassing smell.

Someday, we'll have science class here at Redszone and I'll explain the fun that is outgassing.

Turn Off Ads?