Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Johan Santana is unhappy.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Johan Santana is unhappy.

Hey Wayne, get on the phone with his agent!

Joe Christensen: Santana's unhappiness doesn't bode well
    The two-time Cy Young winner says he might not have a future with the team because it won't do what it takes to win a title.

By Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

Last update: July 31, 2007 10:54 PM

Terry Ryan said he didn't read the critical and skeptical comments Twins players made Monday after he traded Luis Castillo to the Mets.
    "I've got to keep blinders on," Ryan said. "I've got a job to do.
    I've got to keep focused on the job the general manager of a baseball team is supposed to do. I can't let reaction out of a clubhouse affect the overall landscape of an organization."

Yes, Ryan is responsible for the organization's future. So this time, he might want to listen.

These were Johan Santana's words Tuesday after the non-waiver trade deadline passed without another trade: "I'm not surprised. That's exactly how they are. That's why we're never going to go beyond where we've gone."

The Twins acquired two minor league prospects for Castillo, saved $2 million in payroll and did nothing to bolster this year's chances.

"It's not just about hope," Santana said. "In a realistic world, you have to really make it happen and go for it.

"You always talk about future, future. ... But if you only worry about the future, then I guess a lot of us won't be part of it," Santana said.

The two-time Cy Young Award winner wasn't smiling.

"Why waste time when you're talking about something that's always going to be like that? It's never going to be beyond this point. It doesn't make any sense for me to be here, you know?"

"We've been close," Santana said. "And in all those times, we seem to be a couple players away from winning it all. So I respect all the decisions they make, but I won't say that they're right all the time.

"They protect their young players. They protect their organization, their roots, everything. But I guess I won't be a part of it. A lot of guys don't feel like they can be part of it, and they have to move on."

"I never give up," Santana said. "Me, personally, I never give up. It's over when the last game of the season's over. I don't know how these guys upstairs think. I'm expecting everybody else to do their jobs and help us win games because I've been so close to being in the World Series.

"A lot of these guys, they don't know. They're just happy to be here. Maybe that's how they like it upstairs, but I don't like it."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johan Santana is unhappy.

Ah, I'm sick of all these former Twins.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

It's nice to see he spoke out and he happens to be dead on. The Twins are the best worst franchise. They are constantly competitive but never make the move(s) to get over the hump. Their owner has way more money than Steinbrenner or any other owner so the money isn't an issue.

I just don't get it. You can't keep trading away your best players and restocking the farm system and expect to win it all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's nice to see he spoke out and he happens to be dead on. The Twins are the best worst franchise. They are constantly competitive but never make the move(s) to get over the hump. Their owner has way more money than Steinbrenner or any other owner so the money isn't an issue.

I just don't get it. You can't keep trading away your best players and restocking the farm system and expect to win it all at the same time.
    Ugh... Money is the issue. Baseball is a company, not charity work. You dont just dump in your personal income just because you are a rich owner as there is too much risk and a sure fire way to lose your bank account.

Yankees payroll is backed for the most part by the typical revenue as well as the Yankee's owned YES network, not Steinbrenners personal bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Ugh... Money is the issue. Baseball is a company, not charity work. You dont just dump in your personal income just because you are a rich owner as there is too much risk and a sure fire way to lose your bank account.

Yankees payroll is backed for the most part by the typical revenue as well as the Yankee's owned YES network, not Steinbrenners personal bank account.
    The team has plenty of money to spend even without breaking the owner's bank. They have a new stadium now too. The bigger issue with the twins is their desire (or lack there of) to win. They have prospects they can trade that will help them get over their hump and their status quo (or even worse, trading off their starting 2B who was their leadoff hitter).

Santana is the last person on the Twins I'd want to upset if I were the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post

Carl,is that you?
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?