Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "I'm just employee No. 44"

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

"I'm just employee No. 44"

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ffeydunn_N.htm

Interesting article on the two guys who have contributed 121 runs, 191 hits, 52 home runs, and 134 RBI's to a losing team and without whom the Reds would have probably already lost 85 games this year.

WASHINGTON Ken Griffey strolled into the Cincinnati Reds' clubhouse at RFK Stadium about 45 minutes after Tuesday's trading deadline, grabbed a bag of chips and a sports drink and sat down at a table.
    "Where you been?" said teammate Ryan Freel.

"Hey, it's the trade deadline," Griffey said. "I didn't want to have to go back to the hotel to get my stuff."

Then he laughed.

"Nah, the kids are in town," Griffey said.

He and Freel were at the same table where Adam Dunn sat by himself as the clock ticked past the 4 p.m. deadline, where Dunn repeatedly shuffled and cut a deck of cards, banging them on the table more emphatically each time.

Dunn's face was red. So was his shirt. He is still the Reds' left fielder.

"I'm sick of it," Dunn said of the deadline that passed without him being traded despite persistent rumors. "Whatever happens, happens. I've been told it can still happen in August. I don't know. I don't know. whatever."

Dunn wouldn't say if he was disappointed because he was still a Red or just weary of the uncertainty.

"I'm just employee number 44," he said, referring to his uniform number. "All this bothers my mom more than me. She's so sick and tired of it."

By the time Griffey arrived, Dunn was back to his normal routine, heading to the batting cage to prepare for another game. The only move the Reds had made was sending pitcher Kyle Lohse to Philadelphia on Monday for minor league pitcher Matt Maloney.

While Dunn was consumed by the uncertainty, Griffey had spent the day touring Washington with wife Melissa and their three children. They spent much of the time touring the National Geographic Society headquarters. He even had to take time to walk the family dog, who came along, too.

He also remains with the Reds and sounds like Dunn in one respect.

"I'm just employee number 3," Griffey said.

Not exactly. With more than 10 years in the major leagues and at least the last five with his current team, Griffey must approve any trade. He wouldn't say if he had the opportunity to consider any potential trades but, even if he had, Tuesday wasn't the day.

"Deals for guys like me don't get done at the deadline," Griffey said, reaching down to pull on a new pair of white cleats with red and black trim.

"New shoes for deadline day," he said. "The Nike guys said, 'We don't know what color to make for you.' I said to just make the same ones. We can change to blue or black or whatever later."

While Dunn's name was the one mentioned most often in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline, speculation surrounded Griffey after he made several comments earlier in the season that he would be willing to consider trades.

Teams can make trades after yesterday's deadline, but any players involved must first pass through waivers. That's something Dunn was acutely aware of.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "I'm just employee No. 44"

This article, along with some of the other reports from the last few years, really has me wondering about the level and quality of the communication that occurs from the front office down to the field. Granted it's never necessarily been a Cincinnati strength (that I can remember), but it seems more often than not alienation is, whether intentional, or not, the result (goal?).

I am really beginning to wonder if Dunn is willing to sign with the Reds long-term.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'd hate to be #0....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I am really beginning to wonder if Dunn is willing to sign with the Reds long-term.
    Then the Reds get picks.

I wonder if Dunn was told he was going to be traded
    Go Gators!

I think Dunn wanted to pull a Cantu and switch lockerooms so he could be with AK.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I think the answer is no on both ends. If the Reds wanted to keep him they wouldn't be trying to trade him ... and all the stuff surrounding getting rid of him obviously has worn on Dunn(even it he tries to laugh it off, this time he didn't).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I think Dunn wanted to pull a Cantu and switch lockerooms so he could be with AK.
    They can spoon after the game in the comfort of their suite.

What a joke. I know Dunn isn't walking the streets in search of a newspaper reporter to vent to, but c'mon. What's with all the drama? Dude makes $10mil+ with the guarantee of more next season. What difference does it make? For all we read about the easy-going Texan just counting the minutes until his next fishin' trip, what's with all the bluster? Maybe he should pay more attention to baseball to understand that baseball players are occasionally traded. It happens to the best and worst of them. It's not personal. Certainly no more personal than a dude dropping a fly ball or hitting a home run. Get over it.

This won't be popular, but the fact that Adam Dunn was reportedly willing to sign a long term extention with Washington bothers me. He's willing to play on a horrible team just to be with his friend? That doesn't show me that winning is the number one priority.

I fully know that I will get blasted for the above statement, and that's fine. But if he was indeed willing to sign in Washington that would seem to me to be a pretty good indicator of where his priorities are. Quite honestly if he's not here to win, I don't want him.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    They can spoon after the game in the comfort of their suite.

What a joke. I know Dunn isn't walking the streets in search of a newspaper reporter to vent to, but c'mon. What's with all the drama? Dude makes $10mil+ with the guarantee of more next season. What difference does it make? For all we read about the easy-going Texan just counting the minutes until his next fishin' trip, what's with all the bluster? Maybe he should pay more attention to baseball to understand that baseball players are occasionally traded. It happens to the best and worst of them. It's not personal. Certainly no more personal than a dude dropping a fly ball or hitting a home run. Get over it.
    No kidding. Console yourself with your $10 million salary and the fact that you're "earning" it by not getting one iota better since the first day you stepped on a major league field. Many, many better players than Adam Dunn have been traded or discussed in trades over the years.

As I've said before ... this team is far too comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I'd hate to be #0....
    Curtis Goodwin was once #00.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    This won't be popular, but the fact that Adam Dunn was reportedly willing to sign a long term extention with Washington bothers me. He's willing to play on a horrible team just to be with his friend? That doesn't show me that winning is the number one priority.

I fully know that I will get blasted for the above statement, and that's fine. But if he was indeed willing to sign in Washington that would seem to me to be a pretty good indicator of where his priorities are. Quite honestly if he's not here to win, I don't want him.
    You needed this to make that clear to you? The guy is worse today than he was his first day in a Reds uniform. He consistently carries too much weight and gets worse instead of better defensively. Do you really think he's consumed by winning?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    While Dunn was consumed by the uncertainty, Griffey had spent the day touring Washington with wife Melissa and their three children. They spent much of the time touring the National Geographic Society headquarters.
    Gah! Junior was only 6 blocks from my home. I would have invited him over if I had known. Oh well.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    The guy is worse today than he was his first day in a Reds uniform.
    Based on what, exactly?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?