Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/1/2007 Minor League Updates (Cueto pitching in AAA)

uoduck1017

Re: 8/1/2007 Minor League Updates (Cueto pitching in AAA)

Votto flies out but the Bats score 2.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    But really, something either really clicked or he got the urge back to be the best he can.
    Frankly, if he lost that urge in Sarasota, which he didn't exactly light up last year, then there's doubly no way he'd be getting past AA if I had any say. What do you think is going to happen if advanced get ahold of him when he's not in the proper mood? They'll rip him to shreds. It's not just your arm and body that need to mature.

From everything I gather, his stuff is particularly filthy at the moment, so I think it's more likely something clicked (nothing new, just his stuff coming together). Good. That happens and it's nice to see that Cueto can dominate in AA when everything's going his way. There will come a time when Cueto's not red hot and it would be good for him to see how AA bats handle him when that's the case. Who knows, perhaps they'll adjust to him a bit. We won't really know if all he ever gets is six starts there.

Anyway, color me extremely skeptical that he'll be able to do anything but get his head kicked in at the major league level in 2008. So, again, what's the rush? Let him finish 2007 in AA and start there again in 2008 so he at least gets the equivalent of a full season at that level. Then don't let him get past AAA until 2009 at the earliest. Watching teams promote 21-, 22- and 23-year-olds to the majors is like watching Bullwinkle trying to pull a rabbit out of his hat. That trick never works.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

uoduck1017

End of the 3rd: Bats up 2-0.

Cueto: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

HOME RUN BRUCE!!!!
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

uoduck1017

The Boss leaves the building.

wooooooooo

Cantu doubles.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Dunn can't be traded during the offseason.
    Yes, but, correct me if I'm wrong which I very well may be, but can't we just not pick up his option. If so, which I could be even more wrong about, wouldnt we get draft pick/s out of it?

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Yes, but, correct me if I'm wrong which I very well may be, but can't we just not pick up his option. If so, which I could be even more wrong about, wouldnt we get draft pick/s out of it?
    They have to offer arb. in order to get the draft picks and he has to decline it.

uoduck1017

End of the 4th: Bats up 4-0.

Cueto: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    They have to offer arb. in order to get the draft picks and he has to decline it.

I think he'd probably decline.

Cueto is being rushed like Homer because the Reds are desperate for pitching. Yet neither are developed as 21 year olds to succeed in the majors. Maybe as 22 year olds they get better quickly and they may well. But that doesn't excuse sloppy promotion practices.

Cueto is getting by tonight. But he is giving up quite a bit of contact.

Yes, but, correct me if I'm wrong which I very well may be, but can't we just not pick up his option.
    They could also jam spikes in their eyes. It would be just as much fun and every bit as intelligent.

If so, which I could be even more wrong about, wouldnt we get draft pick/s out of it?
    I'm not sure if the Reds could offer him arbitration after not picking up his option, which they'd need to do to get draft pick compensation for him. Of course, his option would be cheaper than his arbitration award would be (if he accepted arbitration). Assuming his $3M raise is somehow too rich for the Reds' blood (a patently silly notion given the nearly $20M that's coming off the payroll and the constantly rising league revenues), there's probably no chance in hell of the team then offering him arbitraton.

Beyond that, I'd expect that a failure to exercise a team option automatically releases a player, meaning that the team no longer has the player on its roster and making him a free agent who requires no compensation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

uoduck1017

Votto singles, moving Dickerson to 3rd with 1 out.

uoduck1017

Herr singles to score Dickerson, giving the Bats a 5-0 lead.

Turn Off Ads?