Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone from Seattle?

Anyone from Seattle?

I'm going to the OSU/Washington game next month and was wondering if any Seattlites had any suggestions on things to do and places to eat. I'll be staying downtown and would like to eat down there some place (I hear the seafood is good ).
    Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone from Seattle?

I'm not from Seattle, but my wife and I went there on our honeymoon last year. There are a lot of great restaurants in Seattle. I would recommend eating at one of the umpteen Tom Douglas places. My wife and I went to one of his restaurants, Etta's, and enjoyed it enough to go back another night. We were only there for a three days or so (we were in the Olympic Penn. for the other part), so I can't tell you a lot of them. The nice part about Etta's besides the food being pretty good, is that it is right by Pike's Place Market, which is I liked visiting. Its busy, but that's what makes it fun. Oh, and if you like coffee, well there are obviously a ton of places, but I really liked Caffe Vita.

Lived in Spokane for 17 yrs...its 300 miles from Seattle...visit Pike Place Market, you can spend the whole day there...or/and the Space Needle
    Reds fan since 1970

My sister-in-law lives there and we visited for a week a couple of years back. I highly recommend the Experience Music Project by the Space Needle. It's a tons better than the Rock and Roll Hall Fame. I second the recommendation of Etta's. We ate there as well and it was great. I would also recommend a ferry ride as well. Hopefully you get a sunny day and you'll be able to see Mt. Rainier.

Closer to the water the more expensive the food, if you're looking for seafood the choices are plenty, I'd center on PNW joints and stay away from chains, the game is at Husky Stadium, which IIRC is on the opposite end of the city, near campus you'll get more cheap eats, more folks though.

There are lots of great places in Pioneer Square to sit outside and eat some bar food, middle eastern, pizza, italian... and beer... lots of beer. Try the local ones, but drink slow they are strong.

I'll be at the game also. I'm thinking of catching the Mariners/DRays game on that Sunday.

Anyone have a favorite view or section? I just know it looks like a beautiful stadium.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Cedric what section did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Cedric what section did you get?
    22. Four rows up.

My future bride worked last year with someone that is now a pharmacist faculty member at UW. Should be a good time.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The Elliott Bay Bookstore! The Fremont flea market!

I bunked up with a friend of mine in Seattle for about a month once, he lurks on this board so I'll try to get him to come out of hiding.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm going to the OSU/Washington game next month and was wondering if any Seattlites had any suggestions on things to do and places to eat. I'll be staying downtown and would like to eat down there some place (I hear the seafood is good ).
    Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
    I'm Vatican Plum's lurking friend who lives in Seattle.

Regarding where to eat, it depends on how much money you have budgeted...If you are in to a neighborhoody type restaurant, I'd recommend the Asteroid Cafe. It's in my neighborhood (Fremont) and it has amazing Italian food; it's reasonably priced, but reasonably is a relative term. It's a quick bus ride north of downtown or if you are renting a car, there is street parking across the street. But if you want seafood, I'd recommend Chandler's Crabhouse. It's more expensive, but it's also very good. It's notably less expensive when your in-laws pick up the tab. Here's a list of the top seafood restaurants in Seattle.

Whatever you do, don't eat at the restaurant atop the Space Needle. The food is notoriously bad.

Also, fun things to do in Seattle:
    - take a ferry ride. It's just so serene to check the cityscape from the ferry. But there are a bunch of ferry options...when my mom comes to visit, we take the ferry to Bainbridge. It has the added benefit of being able jump off the ship in case your mom is driving you crazy with her refined criticisms of how you live your life.

- If there is a Mariners game, you should definitely check it out. The fans are your typical passive northwesterners, but Safeco is a beauty of a park (third on my list of the new stadiums behind PNC and Camden Yards, ahead of your fine stadium). Since I don't have a lot of "money" I like to sit in the LF bleachers, and they are $14 a seat. I'm also partial to the OF reserved seats, which are $20. Here is the seating chart.

- The view from the Space Needle is worth the price, especially if it's a nice day, which it should be in September. Not so much after mid-October. Unless you like overcast, which has it's own beauty.

- The Seattle Underground tour is pretty random too...it gives you a taste of the Emerald City's beginnings. It's also close to Elliott Bay Bookstore, which is like Powell's, but not in Portland.

- If you are so inclined, it's also fun to rent a kayak at Lake Union and just enjoy being on the water.

- The Arboretum is very nice as well.

- There's also an Aquarium, a Zoo, a Science Center.

- And if you have an extended time, I'd defitely recommend travelling to Mt. Rainier which is about 2.5 hours south of the city. But it is the third highest peak in the US.

I forgot to add that if you have the option, watching Felix Hernandez pitch is awesome! For that, I'd recommend the third base side lower level. Felix is like Homer Bailey, but not on the Reds.

And the Fremont Market is on Sunday. And if you are looking for something to do when you get here, pick up a copy of our free weekly, the Stranger. But it's, well, an interesting read.
    Last edited by DFA; 08-04-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Turn Off Ads?