Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce, why not.

Jay Bruce, why not.

The business part of baseball aside.
    Is there any reason that Jay should not have a Sept.
    call up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce, why not.

May rush him a bit...but to me, it is all business. Don't bring him up.

He just got to AAA.
    Go Gators!

I'm not saying they should or should not.
    just wondering what everyone is thinking.

Personally, I think you tip your cap to Jay Bruce for playing High A, AA, and then advancing to AAA in one year. That's quite a year, IMO. I don't think there any reason to bring him up to MLB in September. First of all, he'd never play. While I do think it'd be a nice reward for him to bring him up and let him sit on the bench to get a feel for the majors for a month, I think he'd be better off playing in AAA the whole time and then getting to play in the playoffs should Louisville make it there. I'd rather he got at-bats day in and day out at the AAA level, then sit on the bench for a month in the majors.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Let's see how he does in August. But I suspect the kid is ready for the bigs come 08, so unless he stumbles in the next 4 weeks I'd give him his introduction this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Personally, I think you tip your cap to Jay Bruce for playing High A, AA, and then advancing to AAA in one year. That's quite a year, IMO. I don't think there any reason to bring him up to MLB in September. First of all, he'd never play. While I do think it'd be a nice reward for him to bring him up and let him sit on the bench to get a feel for the majors for a month, I think he'd be better off playing in AAA the whole time and then getting to play in the playoffs should Louisville make it there. I'd rather he got at-bats day in and day out at the AAA level, then sit on the bench for a month in the majors.
    Except, Louisville's schedule is done in the first week of September. Are they going to make the playoffs? Their record says probably not, though I don't remember the IL's criteria. So basically it is him sitting at home (or preparing for the AFL, I doubt there really exists sitting at home in professional sports) or him sitting on the bench, maybe playing some, in the majors.

To be honest, it is only his second full professional season. It might not be a bad idea to give his body a bit of a rest.
    Last edited by rdiersin; 08-02-2007 at 12:46 PM.

There won't be any at bats to be had in AAA. The Bats season ends on Sept. 3, and they're not looking likely for the playoffs. I'm not entirely sure about bringing him up, but they won't be stealing minor league at bats from him if they do.

Aw heck, I'm too darn slow!

Its hard to not want to bring Jay Bruce up . The kid has been at 3 levels , hitting over.300 at all of them. People thought at 20 , rushing Jay to AA then AAA might hurt him. But so far Jay has adjusted at each stop.

In 36 games at AA and AAA , his on base and slugging % are even higher than at high A ball. On a selfish note if the Reds recall Jay in Sept., please wait till after Sept.2nd , the Bats are in Indy the end of Aug, 1st couple days of Sept. I'd like a chance to see him in Victory Field before his MLB debut. My son and I watched and talked with Adam Dunn a couple days before he was recalled. We'd like to do the same with Jay Bruce.
    Last edited by indy_dave00; 08-02-2007 at 12:49 PM.

thorn

Bringing up young position players have seemed to work for ATL and a few others in the past. Bring him up in Sept, give him a few AB's, let him learn from the likes of Griffey, Hatte, etc. Even being around them could be a positive influence on him. I guess it's better than him sitting at home. Another possiblity is sending him down to the lower level teams that are making the playoffs, maybe he can put them over the top. It would be nice for SOMEONE in this organizaton to get a championship, even if it's at a lower level.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Bringing up young position players have seemed to work for ATL and a few others in the past. Bring him up in Sept, give him a few AB's, let him learn from the likes of Griffey, Hatte, etc. Even being around them could be a positive influence on him. I guess it's better than him sitting at home. Another possiblity is sending him down to the lower level teams that are making the playoffs, maybe he can put them over the top. It would be nice for SOMEONE in this organizaton to get a championship, even if it's at a lower level.
    can you do this?
    Can they come back down for the playoffs after they have been promoted.

He's hit at every single level they have put him at and I know the major leagues is a different animal but I couldn't see him struggling to badly up here.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Let Jay Bruce play out the season at Louisville around 30 games. At that point he'll have around 200 AAA at bats. For now getting a 20 year old experience at AAA is a good thing. If he continues to play well which we all expect he will , let him spend September getting a taste of the majors . Maybe even get 50 or so ab's as a Red.

I have two trains of thought with Bruce.
    1. Bring him up, play him and see how he handles major league pitching. He doesn't necessarily have to hit well just show signs of not being over matched. This really doesn't hurt much and if he can't handle it then he has to earn the bigs in spring training. This also gives you a chance to see what you go in a corner outfielder replacement. You want too see what your top prospect can do at the major league level and whether he can handle himself yet.

2.My second train of thought is leave him in AAA. Bringing him up doesn't help because the corner outfield is in place with Dunn and Jr. You also give him some rest and if you bring him up you aren't exactly bringing him up in a winning environment. If the reds were in the middle of a pennant race then he could learn alot from that but bringing him up when most players are just waiting for the season to end won't do much if anything for Bruce.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay plays a mean CF. Just happened to play with the other very good defenses centerfielders in the system in Szymanski and Dickerson.

Turn Off Ads?