Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce, why not.

Re: Jay Bruce, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Give me Bruce. Hamilton has shown to be slightly below average in CF. If Bruce proves to be worse than that, then switch them back up.... but until then, I will take Bruce in CF over Hamilton.
    I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Josh in center? I agree he doesn't always get great jumps on balls, but he's certainly better than Freel in center. He usually makes up his bad jumps with his speed. And let's not even talk about the arm. I think Josh is an above average centerfielder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    With Freel's knee bothering him and Norris Hopper spiking himself could this mean we see Bruce?
    I don't fully understand the 40-man roster rules, but I'd think that since Dickerson and Votto are on the 40-man...it'd be a lot easier bringing either of them up than Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    Bring the kid up. Nothing to lose you need to see how he reacts to MLB pitching.
    Too young? Junior was 19 when he broke in and played the whole year.
    Robin Yount? Andruw Jones? shall i go on

miguel cabrera...jose reyes. Bring him up, let him get a 10 HR head-start on 830!!

September is early enough. Let him come up then get 50 or so at bats and save his eligability for 2008 Rookie of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Josh in center? I agree he doesn't always get great jumps on balls, but he's certainly better than Freel in center. He usually makes up his bad jumps with his speed. And let's not even talk about the arm. I think Josh is an above average centerfielder.
    You can think that all you want. The numbers do not lie. Ryan Freel was 9 plays better than Hamilton was in CF in the first half. Ryan rated out as a +4 defender, while Hamilton was a -5 defender.The biggest difference in the two players is the balls that Freel gets to in the gaps that Hamilton simply doesn't. Hamilton has 5 assists, Freel has 3. Its not like Ryan Freel is Johnny Damon out there with his throwing arm. He has a pretty good arm. Its not Hamiltons, but its still pretty good.

I am not down on Hamilton in center, but he is the Reds 3rd best option on the major league roster behind Freel and Hopper.

Jay Bruce is going to be on the Opening Day roster next year. Let him finish out the year in Louisville, take 4 or 6 weeks off to rest up, and then get him working hard and have him ready in April.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Jay Bruce is going to be on the Opening Day roster next year. Let him finish out the year in Louisville, take 4 or 6 weeks off to rest up, and then get him working hard and have him ready in April.
    Really? Are the Reds going to hand him a job over Dunn, Griffey or Hamilton? I doubt that. The Reds have Freel and Hopper as well out there. Unless 1 of the big 3 sluggers are moved in the OF, Jay Bruce will not be on the roster. Hamilton is going nowhere. I doubt Dunn is going anywhere considering they didn't trade him away. Griffey.... maybe he gets traded in the offseason. But unless that happens, I don't think Jay is going to be handed a spot, regardless of how well he hits in ST next year, over Dunn, Griffey or Hamilton.

Arizona called up 19 year old Justin Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Arizona called up 19 year old Justin Upton.
    Arizona has a glaring need in the outfield too. If the Reds had the Diamondbacks outfield and their situation, Jay Bruce would have been called up. The two situations are not really good.

Really? Are the Reds going to hand him a job over Dunn, Griffey or Hamilton? I doubt that. The Reds have Freel and Hopper as well out there. Unless 1 of the big 3 sluggers are moved in the OF, Jay Bruce will not be on the roster. Hamilton is going nowhere. I doubt Dunn is going anywhere considering they didn't trade him away. Griffey.... maybe he gets traded in the offseason. But unless that happens, I don't think Jay is going to be handed a spot, regardless of how well he hits in ST next year, over Dunn, Griffey or Hamilton.
    If you're under the assumption that Dunn will be back. I'm not. I think they let him walk and take the picks.

Not saying I agree with it, because I don't, that's just what I read into the situation.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    If you're under the assumption that Dunn will be back. I'm not. I think they let him walk and take the picks.

Not saying I agree with it, because I don't, that's just what I read into the situation.
    They cant just let him walk and take the picks. They have to offer him arbitration. That will be a lot more than the 13 million they will have to pay him. They also would have to pay him $500,000 just to offer him arbitration. I don't think that makes any business sense. I don't think the Reds do either.

You can think that all you want. The numbers do not lie. Ryan Freel was 9 plays better than Hamilton was in CF in the first half. Ryan rated out as a +4 defender, while Hamilton was a -5 defender.The biggest difference in the two players is the balls that Freel gets to in the gaps that Hamilton simply doesn't. Hamilton has 5 assists, Freel has 3. Its not like Ryan Freel is Johnny Damon out there with his throwing arm. He has a pretty good arm. Its not Hamiltons, but its still pretty good.

I am not down on Hamilton in center, but he is the Reds 3rd best option on the major league roster behind Freel and Hopper.

Where do you get those numbers and what do they mean? I've never been a big believer in zone rating and the defensive statistic meters, but more of just what I see from my naked eye. I'm struggling to think of a few plays this year where Freel could have got to a ball in center that Hamilton couldn't have.

I think Hamilton's arm makes up the "fielding" difference between him and Freel, but that is just my opinion.

There isn't one defense metric worth a damn, IMO. I know that opinion might frustrate the people that think baseball and it's players can all be rated and objectively judged 100% for their worth.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Hamilton's woes are from being out of baseball for so many years. He has the talent to blow past Freel as a defensive Center Fielder. As he gets more experience, he'll get better and by the end of next year everyone will be satisfied that Hamilton is much, much better defensively than he was the first half of this year.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

On Hamilton, put-outs aren't everything. You also have to consider how many runners hold up instead of trying to take an extra base because of his fear factor.

Turn Off Ads?