Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce, why not.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Jay Bruce, why not.

Comparing Bruce to Dunn in the minors at this point is just not a close comparison. Jay is absolutely destroying the highest level of the minor leagues at an age where Adam Dunn was still toiling around in Dayton OPSing right under .900.

Jay Bruce is a very, very special talent and I can't wait to see him in a Reds uniform.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    To me Jay Bruce has earned a September call up ( he's earned one even sooner but no reason to rush him ) let him get his 200 at bats at Louisville. Then recall him after their season ends , get him 50 ab's or so in September with the Reds , let him soak in big league life.

He started the season in High-A ball. There's absolutley no reason to bring him up here in September. There's a million things for Bruce to work on. Votto looked really good offensively his first 3 months, but looks awful his last month. Votto needs to stay down, too, and his .650 OPS since the All-Star break. Cantu needs to stay down and work on everything.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 08-04-2007 at 01:40 PM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    He started the season in High-A ball. There's absolutley no reason to bring him up here in September. There's a million things for Bruce to work on. Votto looked really good offensively his first 3 months, but looks awful his last month. Votto needs to stay down, too, and his .650 OPS since the All-Star break. Cantu needs to stay down and work on everything.
    Ah, yes, place his entire season worth of good into his last 80 at bats...

As for not bringing Jay up in September.... sure there are reasons. Get him some MLB experience. He is going to be in a Reds uniform next year at some point. Its going to happen. Why not use it when its going to do nothing but help him?

As for having things to work on still.... So does Adam Dunn. So does Edwin. So do a ton of major leaguers.

Accept Edwin's last trip to the minors, he hit at about a 1.300 OPS clip, as did Hamilton at about 1.200. That's a far cry from a month at about half of that, especially when it's the last month. This is the reason Votto needed to stay in AAA. He obviously needed things to work on. Give Bruce half a season in AAA, not just a month or so, and hel'll begin to struggle as other teams adjust to him.

All said, I see Votto earning the starting 1st Base job in Spring Training, not necessarily getting it, though as so many Managers like to go with veterans for whatever reason. Bruce may or may not be on the Opening Day roster next year. It's still a toss-up at this point.

They aren't going to sit Dunn, Junior, Hamilton, Freel, and Hopper so that Bruce can get at-bats in September. It's just not going to happen.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

If management wanted to have some fun, bring up Votto in September and Bruce right now, release Conine, one of the relievers, and start Votto and Bruce and watch what happens.

I can guarantee you this.......an outfield of both Hamilton and Bruce, with Votto at first base, would put a few butts in the seats this year.

We know Jay Bruce and Joey Votto will struggle in the majors . Very few players don't in the beginning . As far as taking ab's away from Freel a utility man playing the outfield , and Norris Hopper a 28 year old journeyman outfielder - why not???

In the long run unless Jay Bruce is a flop he'll have more impact on the Reds than either Freel or Hopper.

Here is a consideration. Jay Bruce does not yet need to be added to the 40 Man roster and is still protected as Reds property. After the season there will be other players who have run out of their beginning of career exemptions. If Bruce is called up, it means he will be taking up a spot on the 40 man. That would leave some other player exposed to the rule 5 draft (or at least fill a spot that could be left open for the Reds to pick some one). I haven't looked to see who would have to be added or if anyone of any concern would be at risk, but unless Bruce is here to stay, I wouldn't add him to the 40 man at this point. He can still attend major league Spring Training and be added to the 40 man next spring if the team decides he goes north. With Dunn, Griffey and Hamilton in fold he'll probably be better off dominating AAA and if he's added to the 40 man now, the team would need to burn an option to send him back down next year. (Probably not a big deal, I doubt he'll use all of his options.)
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

As far as Bruce having to work on things at the MLB level, it doesnt get any better
    than doing it on a team that is going nowhere. I would much rather see him getting AB'S
    than Hopper or Freel. It will only help his development.
    Reds fan since 1970

First of all, if L'ville gets lucky and makes the playoffs, it would be great for Bruce (as well as Homer and Votto) to get some experience in post-season play, even if it is AAA.

Once the L'ville season is over I'd consider calling him up to see how things are done and get 10-25 AB's. However, IIRC, Adam Dunn had a clause in his contract that guaranteed him a Sept. call-up and he declined so that he would get a little rest and work on some things in the AFL. (I'm a little fuzzy on that but I remember being impressed with Dunn's attitude about foregoing the 'life in the bigs' so that he could improve his game.) I would certainly make Jay Bruce one of my picks for the Arizona Fall League.

mth's point about roster usage and rule five picks is a good point and, IMO, one worth considering.

Rem

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Hamilton's woes are from being out of baseball for so many years. He has the talent to blow past Freel as a defensive Center Fielder. As he gets more experience, he'll get better and by the end of next year everyone will be satisfied that Hamilton is much, much better defensively than he was the first half of this year.
    I think counting on Josh Hamilton to man CF is beyond foolhardy. Its the most physically taxing of the defensive outfield positions and you'd be asking a man who spent the better part of 3 years abusing his body in any way he could to man it.

I know its completely contrary to conventional wisdom, but if I'm running the Reds and Adam Dunn is out of the picture, I'm penciling Hamilton in as the new LF. At that position, he'd be a plus-defender and it would reduce the amount of wear he'd accumulate.

I fear Hamilton will spend more time on the DL if you leave him in CF.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think counting on Josh Hamilton to man CF is beyond foolhardy. Its the most physically taxing of the defensive outfield positions and you'd be asking a man who spent the better part of 3 years abusing his body in any way he could to man it.

I know its completely contrary to conventional wisdom, but if I'm running the Reds and Adam Dunn is out of the picture, I'm penciling Hamilton in as the new LF. At that position, he'd be a plus-defender and it would reduce the amount of wear he'd accumulate.

I fear Hamilton will spend more time on the DL if you leave him in CF.
    I think this is a very valid point that I had never considered. Rep.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You'd waste Hamilton's arm in LF.

I like the idea of keeping Hamilton out of center in an effort to prevent injury. If people are think Drew Stubbs is so useless, then let him through his body all over the outfield and take all the beatings to keep Hamilton and Bruce healthy.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-04-2007 at 08:13 PM.

I wish the reds would throw the farm at Philly to get Victorino......prob solved.

Turn Off Ads?