Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Jay Bruce, why not.

Re: Jay Bruce, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think counting on Josh Hamilton to man CF is beyond foolhardy. Its the most physically taxing of the defensive outfield positions and you'd be asking a man who spent the better part of 3 years abusing his body in any way he could to man it.

I know its completely contrary to conventional wisdom, but if I'm running the Reds and Adam Dunn is out of the picture, I'm penciling Hamilton in as the new LF. At that position, he'd be a plus-defender and it would reduce the amount of wear he'd accumulate.

I fear Hamilton will spend more time on the DL if you leave him in CF.
    I agree. I don't see Hamilton or Freel as the starting CF next year, and that means Hamilton has another position to learn.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

People seem to misunderstand the September call-up thing. September callups are meant for guys on the 40 man roster, and it doesn't cost them an option year.

Jay Bruce isn't on the 40 man roster. If the Reds want to call him up (which I don't think they do), might as well do it now.

September callups are meant more for Dickerson, Votto, Salmon, McBeth, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I say Let Bruce play in the AA or AAA playoffs, and then bring him up for the last 2 weeks of the season for exposure, a few starts, and pitch hitting. Just give him a taste of what he can earn if he continues to work hard. Hopefully him and Dunn will be working out together a lot like they did last offseason.

Turn Off Ads?