Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks calling up Justin Upton

Re: Diamondbacks calling up Justin Upton

He does turn 20 in about 3 weeks. Last 19 year old position guy I can think of getting called up was Andruw Jones....
    Thanks to that glory of the internet, baseball-reference.com, I've found out that the last 19 year old position player to be called to the majors was none other than....

BJ Upton

who was called up on August 4, 2004. This was 17 days shy of his 20th birthday.

King Felix was the last player to debut at 19, in 2005.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Thanks to that glory of the internet, baseball-reference.com, I've found out that the last 19 year old position player to be called to the majors was none other than....

BJ Upton

who was called up on August 4, 2004. This was 17 days shy of his 20th birthday.

King Felix was the last player to debut at 19, in 2005.
    Ah crap. I was looking at his stats last night too. Im a moron. :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Dare I say...the next Ken Griffey Jr.?
    Nah. Griffey had a full season under his belt by the time Justin is making his debut.

You can say it and looking at Upton he is very similar size to Junior as a 19 year old. But just as you said ,Junior , I fear is the expectations the D'backs have for Justin . Hopefully this isn't a panic move that ends up hurting Justin Upton in the long run if he isn't truly ready.

Except for walks and steals , Jay Bruce has better offensive stats than Upton across the board. Plus Bruce has 75 AAA at bats to Upton's 0 . Good luck Justin Upton.
    Last edited by indy_dave00; 08-02-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Let Jay Bruce get 200ab's at Louisville playing every day the rest of their season. Then after the end of their season bring him up , so he can spend about a month experiencing the big leagues , getting maybe 50 ab's as a Red.

No reason to rush Jay Bruce , if he's ready as a 21 year old in the spring of 2008, the Reds may well have the leading candidate for Rookie of the Year.

Justin Upton turns 20 the 25th of this month he's 4 months younger than Bruce. Perhaps if the Reds had injuries and were trying to win a division , but they aren't no reason to rush him. Good luck to Upton hope the D'backs aren't putting too much pressure on him too early.
    Yep. The Reds and D'backs are in completely different situations and I think your outline of a plan for Bruce is the perfect way to go to insure his best transition possible.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Except for walks and steals , Jay Bruce has better offensive stats than Upton across the board. Plus Bruce has 75 AAA at bats to Upton's 0 . Good luck Justin Upton.
    Jay is a better hitter than Justin is. Justin has better discpline and is the overall better athlete of the two. I don't think this is a panic move by the Dbacks, odds are Justin can step in and perform fine to the tune of a .750 OPS with some nice hot streaks in there. He will be up and down though.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/skins...attach/jpg.gif

Man It took me forever to find this pic hope it works.
    got to clean up my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    A 19 yr old position player getting called up to the majors.

Don't see that everyday...

Upton looks to be very special....of Hall-of-Fame caliber.

and since it's in this thread....Jose Guillen is such a putz.

What's the matter Guillen? Seeing the writing on the wall and it has your name on it?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Plus, you can pencil in Upton for the next dozen All-Star games. Bruce might make a couple of them. They're in a different class as far as talent goes.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Justin Upton has forearms like an adolescent bear. Is that Travis Wood next to him?

Yeah, its T. Wood.
    I think that was in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Plus, you can pencil in Upton for the next dozen All-Star games. Bruce might make a couple of them. They're in a different class as far as talent goes.
    I am going to completely disagree with that. First off, Justin Upton making the next dozen all star games? I will take the under on that one by about 12. First off, he plays the outfield, which outside of first base is probably the toughest place to make it. Secondly, he is good, but I don't expect him to make the AS team next year as a 20 year old.

I don't think the two are in a different class as far as talent goes. Jay is a better hitter, and projects to be a better hitter in the future. Justin is a better athlete with more speed. Their arms are very comparable in the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am going to completely disagree with that. First off, Justin Upton making the next dozen all star games? I will take the under on that one by about 12. First off, he plays the outfield, which outside of first base is probably the toughest place to make it. Secondly, he is good, but I don't expect him to make the AS team next year as a 20 year old.

I don't think the two are in a different class as far as talent goes. Jay is a better hitter, and projects to be a better hitter in the future. Justin is a better athlete with more speed. Their arms are very comparable in the outfield.
    You've seen more of them than I have. I'll go with you on that.

Upton 0-1 so far in his debut. He flew out to deep left on a 2-0 pitch.

Upton now 0-2. Lines out to left on a 1-2 pitch.

Turn Off Ads?