Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is Jr. a more likely waiver trade than Dunn?

Is Jr. a more likely waiver trade than Dunn?

I think so. I don't think there is any way Dunn clears waivers. A team could just pick him up to rent for the season and only be on the hook for the rest of this year's contract.

To take Griffey, on the other hand, the team would have to take on his contract for big money next year, pay him $16M or a $4M buyout in 2009 (and I don't know about all that deferred money - maybe be on the hook for that as well). Very little liklihood someone would claim Jr. on waivers with that contract IMO. Therefore, I think we could see Jr. clear, the Reds offer to pick up part of his contract, and then look to trade Jr. to a contender for the best return (if Jr. consents).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Jr. a more likely waiver trade than Dunn?

He's cleared waivers many times already.

neither will clear this season, too many teams will want to block them two from going anywhere

Talkin' Baseball

I agree Griffey is more likely than Dunn. Actually, the only guy on the team that I am convinced will clear waivers is Stanton and they'd be lucky to trade him for a bucket of sunflower seeds. If somebody was willing to eat his contract, I'd take the deal.

I think Bowden would block anybody just to be a jerk.

Bowden is a jerk.

That would mean that we could dump any contract we want on Bowden.

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    I think so. I don't think there is any way Dunn clears waivers. A team could just pick him up to rent for the season and only be on the hook for the rest of this year's contract.

To take Griffey, on the other hand, the team would have to take on his contract for big money next year, pay him $16M or a $4M buyout in 2009 (and I don't know about all that deferred money - maybe be on the hook for that as well). Very little liklihood someone would claim Jr. on waivers with that contract IMO. Therefore, I think we could see Jr. clear, the Reds offer to pick up part of his contract, and then look to trade Jr. to a contender for the best return (if Jr. consents).
    You said it all at the end of your post- "IF Jr. consents" Why would he consent now more than he has in the past? I expect Cincinnati is Griffey's retirement job. I expect he will play out his contract.

simpleman424

Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    I agree Griffey is more likely than Dunn. Actually, the only guy on the team that I am convinced will clear waivers is Stanton and they'd be lucky to trade him for a bucket of sunflower seeds. If somebody was willing to eat his contract, I'd take the deal.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    You said it all at the end of your post- "IF Jr. consents" Why would he consent now more than he has in the past? I expect Cincinnati is Griffey's retirement job. I expect he will play out his contract.
    That does bring up and interesting question...do you think this will actually be where he retires from? With all that Seattle talk and all these other players ending where they made it big...maybe he'll do the same thing?

Dunn= zero chance of clearing waivers. Which means you could only trade him to the team that claims him and you can only get back guys who have cleared waivers or guys who aren't on the 40 man roster, correct? In which case I don't want to trade Dunn for guys who other teams don't want.

Griffey- I don't think he clears this year either. He's only got one year plus an option left and the switch to RF has seemed to really help him stay healthy. And I don't want to trade him for another team's trash either.

He can rake

Griffey would clear waivers just because of his contract. Every year we hear how all these people could be traded after the deadline, but very few ever are. Take what you want from all these rumors, but I personally find it hard to get excited about them. A lot of times teams put players through waivers just to see if other teams have interest in them or just to have them ready in case an amazing deal would be offered. It doesn't necessarily mean the team wants to trade that player.

I really do believe he wants to retire here. He said some nice things about Seattle, but I think he will hit 600 hrs, and then play out 2008.It is possible he might play the option year, but that might be more unlikely with Bruce waiting.

Turn Off Ads?