Pro Experience: 3 years
    Bats: R
    Throws: R
    Resides: San Pedro de Macoris, DR

Stats as of 8/2/07:
    Code:
    Player  	AVG  G  AB  R  H  2B 3B HR RBI TB  BB SO 

D Phipps       .240  99 363 55 87 11  2  7  45 123 33 78
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 08-03-2007 at 08:12 AM.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect Profile: Denis Phipps

OUCH! Sweetie... wear a cup!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...407inside.html

Protection always the best game plan
    By Marc Katz
    Staff Writer
    Saturday, August 04, 2007

It is the injury that provides the most pain, if not the worst consequences. How do we put this delicately? It is the injury that comes from being hit in the crotch.

Sure, when it happens to someone else, guys laugh about it. In most cases, it's not life-threatening, and recovery time is so brief, athletes who get hit there continue in the game they're playing.

It also seems to be funny because the victim can't really rub away the hurt. Applying pressure only makes it worse. So we stand around and giggle. Not nice.

Do women have a corresponding pain? Childbirth? I don't know. Maybe.

This subject comes up because last Monday, Dragons' outfielder Denis Phipps fouled off a ball that bounced back up and hit him in the worst place imaginable. Phipps limped away from the plate for a moment, bent down, then tossed his helmet to the ground.

After about a minute spent catching his breath with his hands on his knees, Phipps went back into the batter's box, ready to play. An hour later, he continued to have some pain.

It might not have hurt that much had Phipps been wearing a protective cup, which gave Dragons manager Donnie Scott a chance to stump for that piece of equipment.

"It's idiotic to be playing baseball without a cup," Scott said. "I don't care if you're playing pee-wee. I'm serious about that. Parents should stress you're not going to play unless you wear a cup.

"People say it's uncomfortable to wear. You'll get used to it."

Scott says some outfielders — such as Phipps — think they can get away without wearing a cup because they aren't facing a lot of hard, high-bouncing ground balls the way infielders do, or hard foul balls, the way catchers do, or line drives off the mound, the way pitchers do.

He points out what happened to Phipps, and to Kane County's Larry Cobb, who while stealing a base recently, was hit in the crotch by the catcher's throw to second. Cobb suffered a lacerated groin and was out of action for a month. Scott said he wasn't wearing a protective cup.

So, what's a guy to do? Wearing a protective cup in baseball is not mandatory. After being hit there once without one, though, you'd think a guy would learn. Asked if he'd now wear one while playing, Phipps just shook his head no.

Ouch.

Contact this reporter at 225-2157

or mkatz@DaytonDailyNews.com.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Updated stats...

Code:
    2007 Season 
    Team 	League 	AVG  G 	 AB  R 	H   2B 3B HR RBI TB  BB SO SB CS OBP SLG  OPS 
    DAY 	MID 	.238 124 446 65 106 14 2  9  53  151 41 96 17 6 .313 .339 .652 
    Minors  	.238 124 446 65 106 14 2  9  53  151 41 96 17 6 .313 .339 .652

While waiting for the complete year to date stats, here is a pic I took of Denis Thursday night at the playoffs...
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 04-07-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Does anyone happen to know what year Phipps was signed? Was it 2005? I'm making a list of top-100 Reds prospects, and I'm trying to fill in some data. In case anyone is wondering, I have him at #84, but once you get past the first 30 or so, you could argue any of them moving up or down a few dozen slots.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Does anyone happen to know what year Phipps was signed? Was it 2005? I'm making a list of top-100 Reds prospects, and I'm trying to fill in some data. In case anyone is wondering, I have him at #84, but once you get past the first 30 or so, you could argue any of them moving up or down a few dozen slots.
    You can find some info in the Reds Media Guide online...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/press...player_dev.pdf

Denis is on page 44.

This was found online:

The same year Cueto signed a young outfielder named Denis Phipps also signed out of the Dominican. Phipps, a right handed hitter also played 2004 for the Dominican Summer League Reds. Denis did not have as much success as Cueto as he would hit just .163 with 8 extra-base hits in 123 at bats. He did show good control of the strikezone as he walked 18 times though. Denis spent the next season in the DSL as well and he hit .263 this time around with 15 extra-base hits in 167 at bats and walked 26 times. That was good enough to earn him a trip to the US in 2006 to play for the GCL Reds. In the GCL the 21 year old hit .280 with 14 extra-base hits and 22 RBI in 164 at bats before being promoted to the Billings Mustangs where he hit .315 with 4 extra-base hits in 54 at bats. This season he is playing in Dayton and hitting .266 in 94 at

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The guy who wrote that seems like a smart fella

Was that you? I didn't even notice where it came from. My bad.

I'm making a list of top-100 Reds prospects
    That would be quite an accomplishment. I'll do a top 40 or so at some point. Just out of curiosity, who do you have at #100?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    That would be quite an accomplishment. I'll do a top 40 or so at some point. Just out of curiosity, who do you have at #100?
    Drew Stubbs
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    It's David Lutz, but I reserved the last five slots for international players signed in 2007 who I know nothing about. So really, it's more like a top-95 list.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    You can find some info in the Reds Media Guide online...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/press...player_dev.pdf

Denis is on page 44.
    Thank you very much. That's a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This was found online:
    And thank you for that, as well. It's exactly what I was wanting to know.

Here's another pic on found via "Dragons Lore"...
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 04-07-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Flip a D and a P in this guys name and you would have the greatest name in baseball history. Am I right, am I right?

Turn Off Ads?