Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Put-in-Bay Suggestions

Put-in-Bay Suggestions

Headed to Put-in-Bay for a few days next week on a spur of the moment decision. I've never been there before. For those who have, any suggestions on must-do activities? restaurants? lodging? Any help would be appreciated...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Put-in-Bay Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    any suggestions on must-do activities?
    I hear they have a couple of establishments that serve adult beverages.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I hear they have a couple of establishments that serve adult beverages.
    Just a couple? Haha, thing is this will be more of a family trip...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Danny Graves is my Homey

Put in bay is fun, rent a golf cart and make sure you hit up the wineries (cant remember names) There is also a cave they let you walk down into. Pretty fun. For my money though, I enjoy Kellys Island just to the east of South Bass (where put in bay is) Go there. Much more residential, quiet, and away from the thousands of drunk folk who see an island as a way to not get a dui.

Middle Bass and north bass are cool as well, but probably not worth the time.
    You can also go to the top of perrys monument on south bass and on clear days can see canada and cedar point.

Have fun.

tom

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

If you have room for a few fishing poles you can fish off the cement pier at the state campground with the fighting chance of catching a 2 lb smallmouth.

The couple of times I have been there we spent most of our time at the winery on adult type weekends. Nots sure what they have for kids there.

GL

We used to go to Kelly's Island every summer to fish for walleye. Caught some really nice ones, and man, are they good to eat. I have heard that the walleye fishery around the Island has suffered because of the presence of the zebra mussells that invaded the area. In the early 80's, it was nothing to go out and catch your limit every day.

We used to hit PIB every year as fun-loving adults. Obviously lotsa fun that way. 3 weeks ago we took our 5 yr old daughter on a day trip. She loved it.

We took the Jet Express for Port Clinton, leaving around 9AM. We returned ~ 4:30PM before people like we used to be were too prevalent! And I really don't mean anything is wrong with that, just our choice of what we wanted our daughter to be around. AS it was she got some earfuls still. However we all had a great time.

My best pointers and other miscellaneous disjointed comments :
    1) Get there on an early ferry and rent a golf cart (they DO run out of them, believe it or not.) I want to say something like $13/hr but well worth it. TH3ey have 2 seaters and 4 seaters.
    2) You can get pizza at Frosty's, kids can go in the restaruant side for sure and from there you can also walk right into the bar side. Can also eat at the outdoor place before you get to Frosty's (Crescent tavern or something like that). Probably many other family eating options (DQ) also but since we have only taken our daughter once we have obvioulsy not explred them all with her. You can also eat at the Boardwalk (shrimp mmmm!), which is a outside boardwalk on the water fairly near where the Jet Express brings you in.

3) Perry's Monument was closed for construction when we were there 3 wks ago. Likely still may be. I believe a piece fell off a few months ago.

4) head down Catawba St (I think that's what is its called, anyway you'll figure it out, its the street just past the huge Beer Barrell Saloon - World's longest bar) to Perry's Cave and the Heileman winery. We did not do the winery with our daughter but she enjoyed the Cave a lot. They also have at the Perry's Cave area putt-putt golf, a mining camp, gift shop, butterfly house, and maze.

5) further down that same street you go past a little golf course. Never played it but it looks nice and relaxed (i.e. more my style, not a country club setting at all)

6) even further down you run into the South Bass Island State Park. It is really neat IMO, though we have not stayed there yet. You can get campsites right on the edge of the lake. Go to here to see if you can reserve. (follow links to online reservations and then select South Bass Island State park)
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/tabid/753/Default.aspx

7) The golf cart is the key for getting around and enjoying it, IMO. Coming from the Jet Express dock, you can take an immediate right to go along the edge of the lake past where all the boaters dock. This will take you past the Boardwalk . In addition to the shrimp and other food you can get there, I believe from there you can still take another ferry out to Middle Bass island - we used to when Lonz Winery was there (absolutely wild times those were) - anyway it isn't there anymore, it is more relaxed like Rychian said - I think there is a microbrewery there now. I have not been to Kelley's island but want to see it sometime. I like that whole Lake Erie island atmosphere.
    - But back on your golf cart, if you keep on driving past the Boardwalk (which is also ~ at the intersection with the Catawba street I mention above) and stay along the water you can drive around the outer perimeter of the island and see the homes (soem of which you saw the fronts of as you came in on the Jet Express). It is a nice relaxing drive. You will eventually loop back to intersect with Catawba again and can turn Right from ther to get to the State Park or left to head back to Put-In Bay. You will pass Parry's Cave and the winery on your way back to town.

Even though I typed a lot, this is not at all meant to be comprehensive. I believe my wife heard of some other neat things we could have done with our daughter also but we plain old did not have that much time. And the bars are a bunch of fun for the grown ups but in large part not for young ears/eyes. We did sit on the Boardwalk and have a couple beers and some shrimp with our daughter and that was more than fine and quite enjoyable. But we never took her into the other "establishments" except Frosty's. But the Perry's Cave area is all about kids and I think there are some other areas too.

I am no expert on the place, especially currently, but went there annually from age 23 to~34 or so... and now once 6 years later as a responsible loving parent.

I just see the brochure Roy posted which should help a lot along with the words from others on the thread. You should have a good time but remember the bar section/area will be rowdy late afternoon and evening. Feel free to ask any particular questions. Again am no expert but will try to answer as best I can.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    2) You can get pizza at Frosty's, kids can go in the restaruant side for sure and from there you can also walk right into the bar side. Can also eat at the outdoor place before you get to Frosty's (Crescent tavern or something like that).
    Frosty's pizza is terrific too. Flat is a piece of paper and greasy as heck.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?