Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Origins

Origins

Have you ever wondered how some of the behaviors, habits, traditions, and phrasology we silly little humans have come to practice and utilize ever came into existence?

It was one of the reasons why I always like George Carlin. He was always coming up with those "intriguing" types of questions after visiting his Toledo Window Box.

For instance....

Who was the first person to ever give somebody the middle finger?

What kind of situation were they involved in where the only reaction they could come up with was pointing their middle finger at them? Why the middle one? And I wonder what that person on the receiving end thought?

Got any more?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Origins

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Who was the first person to ever give somebody the middle finger?

What kind of situation were they involved in where the only reaction they could come up with was pointing their middle finger at them? Why the middle one? And I wonder what that person on the receiving end thought?
    Robert Wuhl hosted a show on HBO in which he gave a possible origin for the middle finger gesture. According to him, English bowmen used their middle fingers to draw and fire their longbows. Their technique was so deadly that when the French captured these bowmen, they would cut off their middle fingers to prevent them from using their bows. Word of this got around, and after defeating the French in subsequent battles, English bowmen would wave their middle fingers at the retreating French as a sign of defiance -- "I've still got it, ya lousy frog!"
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Fixed that last parenthesis so the link works correctly.

I kind of suspected Wuhl's explanation was too perfect to be true -- why the loss of the middle finger have such a great effect on firing a bow?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I want to know who came up with the idea of making coffee from beans that had been passed through the colon of weasel-like animals. And was the first person to try it drunk at the time?

I found a wikipedia link with some detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I wonder how smelling salts were invented. I wonder if someone passed out once and they said "Hey, lets get some ammonia under this guys nose!"
    Witty signature.

Has anyone ever stopped to think how silly clapping our hands looks?

Man, there's just tons of stuff I wonder about (this is one of those topics I think about all of the time, yes, I'm weird).

Who was the first person to see a body of water (ocean, lake, river, etc)? What did they think about it? Were they scared of it? Did they touch it? Did they know before hand that they had to hold their breath, or did they think they could breathe if they were submersed in it? Did that same person ever come across hydrochloric acid? What did they think of that?

Who was the first person to realize that something as small as a scorpion could kill you?

Were "tasers" invented as the result of an accident? What was that guys childhood like?

Who was the genius that thought smearing ox musk on you would attrack women? Jovan? (got to say that with the tongue rolling accent).
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Who baked the first bread? How did they happen upon a mixture of ingredients, then happen to decide to heat it?

Who thought it was a good idea to put a baseball team in Montreal?

^^LOL

Who was the first one to decide to eat eggs?

What was the comic line, you want me to eat what, and it came from where!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Who ate the first snail, oyster, artichoke, squid, etc.

Rem

When was the first time Adam Dunn struck out in organized baseball? Who was the pitcher? Did the fans at that game boo Dunn back into the dugout?

When was the first time Pete Rose bet on baseball? How much did he bet?
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Who ate the first snail, oyster, artichoke, squid, etc.
    A cleary deranged individual. Or someone looking to play a practical joke on his or her family.

For that matter, who was the first person to eat an egg?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Who was the first person to tell a Knock-Knock joke and why did they think it would be funny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?