Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Origins

Re: Origins

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Who thought it was a good idea to put a baseball team in Montreal?
    That gets my vote for Post Of The Week.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Who was the first person to tell a Knock-Knock joke and why did they think it would be funny?
    I'm not sure, but I think he was from Nantucket.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I always wondered who thought it sounded tasty to drink breast milk from animals.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Who was the first to watch a cow relieve itself and think "I am going to put that around my tomato plants"?

How about the "trial and error" involved in finding out which plants/vegetables were OK to eat, and which were poisonous?

Or the health/medicinal value of all the various herbs? Who ended up being the guinea pig? I was reading up on saw palmetto and that it has been used for hundreds of years for men's urinary/prostrate troubles. Did ancient man even know they had prostrates?

Who stumbled upon the fermentation process?

Who invented bubble gum?

Or who got the brainstorm to crumple up a bunch of dried leaves and smoke them? Was it some lone shepherd who was bored? (insert sheep joke here)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Who invented bubble gum?
    Chewing gum, in various forms, has existed since at least Ancient Greece. The Greeks chewed mastic gum, made from the resin of the mastic tree.[1] Many other cultures have chewed gum-like substances made from plants, grasses, and resins. The American Indians chewed resin made from the sap of spruce trees. The New England settlers picked up this practice, and in the early 1880s attempts were made to commercially market spruce gum. Around 1850 a gum made from paraffin wax was developed and soon exceeded the spruce gum in popularity. Modern chewing gum was first developed in the 1860s when chicle was imported from Mexico for use as a rubber subsititute. Chicle did not succeed as a replacement for rubber, but as a gum it soon dominated the market. Chicle gum, and gum made from similar latexes, had a smoother and softer texture and held flavor better. Most chewing gum companies have switched to synthetic gum bases because of its low price and availability. According to their website, Glee Gum is the last gum manufacturer in the United States to produce gum using all-natural chicle.[2] In 1848 John B. Curtis developed and sold the first commercial chewing gum called The State of Maine Pure Spruce Gum.

In 1855 a group of left wing revolutionaries led by Benito Juárez and Ignacio Comonfort overthrew Mexican dictator Santa Anna, who fled back to Cuba. He then lived in exile in Cuba, the United States, Colombia, and St. Thomas. During his time in New York City he is credited as bringing the first shipments of chicle, the base of chewing gum, to the United States, but he failed to profit from this since his plan was to use the chicle to replace rubber in carriage tires, which was tried without success. The American assigned to aid Santa Anna while he was in the US, Thomas Adams, conducted experiments with the chicle and (re-)discovered its possible use as a confectionary chewing gum.

William Semple filed the first patent on chewing gum, patent number 98,304, on December 28, 1869.
    I was also under the impression (I don't know where) That it was accidentally discovered trying to make explosives. I'm most likely mistaken, though.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Who stumbled upon the fermentation process?
    We will never be able to put a name to that person but they were obviously a great human being.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Who was the first person to tell a Knock-Knock joke and why did they think it would be funny?
    Why did so many funny things happen right after a guy walked into a bar?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Why did so many funny things happen right after a guy walked into a bar?
    Well, certainly the poodle had something to do with it.

what did man use before toilet paper was invented? or the toothbrush?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

what did man use before toilet paper was invented? or the toothbrush?
    I do know for a fact that the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia. Otherwise it would have been called a "Teethbrush"

Sorry to all my friend in WVA
    Witty signature.

what did man use before toilet paper was invented?
    http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_373.html

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    I didn't read everything on your link (too many words for my attention span ), but if you were wondering about before corncobs, let me just say this: There's a reason we always shake with our right hands.

Who decided that when one gets stung by a jelly fish that peeing on it would alleviate the burn?

Who decided that when one gets stung by a jelly fish that peeing on it would alleviate the burn?
    The same can be said about a sea urchin sting. My guess is that some kid was stung by one of those two, threw a fit and pee'd his pants and said "Ahhhhhhhh, that feels better..."
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?