Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 8/3/07 - Minor League Update

Re: 8/3/07 - Minor League Update

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think Votto will take a while to adjust to MLB pitching. He strikes me as the "vulture" type (did I just make up a useful baseball term?), who does an exceptional job of thriving on bad pitching but is many times over-matched and the more quality pitching.
    If players weren't overmatched by good pitching...then it wouldn't be good pitching, would it?

Votto either needs ML at bats this year, or the Reds should trade him in the offseason while he has value. Knowing the Reds, they'll screw this up too.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

It might seem like what I said was redundant; obviously, the worse the pitcher, the better the hitter will hit. But I'm just trying to say that I think it's particularly the case with Votto (kind of like Adam Dunn, who seems to do his best hitting when the outcome of the game is already decided). I hope I'm wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Let me ask you guys something that don't buy into Joey Votto.....

What makes you believe he isn't that good?
    I might be perceived as someone who doesn't buy into Joey Votto.

I don't believe in numbers for a reason to promote someone, not when the number is an OPS of .844 as is Votto's case this year at AAA. What is he learning? What is he getting his hits against? Is he still getting killed whenever someone throws him a certain type of pitch or two? Is he just killing fastballs and missing everything else?

I think in Votto's case is that he proved himself a while ago that he should get the chance next spring to earn the starting first base job as a RED for Opening Day 2008, and that it's his to lose.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not to the point where I don't think Votto can go .280/.365/.440 the Reds of the year in a Reds uniform and be ready to take it a step further in Cincinnati for 2008.

When you go from a negative hitting environment to a positive hitting environment while bringing in a very high line drive percentage I think you will be just fine.

The mental pressure in the Majors increases five-fold, something Votto could be working on right now while he's slumping. And if some suggest that he's slumping because he's getting a raw deal, then that's a good reason to stay in the minors because he'll have a lot more pressure than that when he gets to the bigs.

My biggest hope is that they start Votto and let him play through the slumps he's inevitably going to get when he is in his first two years in the Majors. I hope they don't treat him like a yo-yo and take him in and out of the lineup. If he's hitting .150 after 21 games, just leave him in and let him work it out.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It might seem like what I said was redundant; obviously, the worse the pitcher, the better the hitter will hit. But I'm just trying to say that I think it's particularly the case with Votto (kind of like Adam Dunn, who seems to do his best hitting when the outcome of the game is already decided). I hope I'm wrong, though.
    You may be right. But the Reds need to find out, and there's no time like the present because they have no hope of making the playoffs. Let the kid play and see what you've got. Let Hatteberg work with him at 1st and in the cage.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    You may be right. But the Reds need to find out, and there's no time like the present because they have no hope of making the playoffs. Let the kid play and see what you've got. Let Hatteberg work with him at 1st and in the cage.
    Really good points. I'm for bring him up and letting Hatteberg work with him. I think it's the best idea I've heard on here in a long time.

Better now then in April and May of 08.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

I'd like to see him up, too, but I think it makes no sense with Hatteberg on the roster. While Hatteberg's up, I think you should let Votto be in a place where he can play every day. Then, unless Hatteberg can somehow fetch draft pick compensation, I'd pick up his option and trade him for whatever I could get and let Votto platoon with Jorge Cantu.

Turn Off Ads?