Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Mackanin hopes Reds will keep him / Will Mackanin emerge as frontrunner?

Senor Votto

Merged: Mackanin hopes Reds will keep him / Will Mackanin emerge as frontrunner?

Interim again: Mackanin enjoyed Pirates, now hopes Reds will keep him

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
    August 3, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jim Tracy doesn't have one. Lloyd McClendon and Gene Lamont didn't, either. Pete Mackanin nearly did.

A winning record as the Pittsburgh Pirates' manager.

Mackanin went 12-14 with Pittsburgh during the final weeks of the 2005 season, after McClendon was fired with a 55-81 record during his fifth and final season. Despite the relaxed attitude Mackanin brought to the Pirates' clubhouse and their improved record under him, he wasn't considered for the full-time job before Tracy was hired.

Mackanin, now the Reds' interim manager, is glad to have another chance to run a club -- even if, like in Pittsburgh, he doesn't know if he'll have the job next season.

"Only 30 of these jobs are available and, right now, interim or not, I'm holding one of them," he said. "It's a great feeling. I'm proud to be managing at the major league level, especially with a team like Cincinnati with such a great history. To even be considered, it's exciting.

"I wish that interim managers could inherit teams that were 20 games over .500 rather than 20 under .500, but that's why I'm here," he said.

The Pirates never explained why Mackanin wasn't interviewed before they chose Tracy, but it appeared they were looking to start over with a fresh staff. Mackanin was the Pirates bench coach for nearly three seasons under McClendon and managed two seasons in their farm system before that.

Even though the Pirates shoved him out -- he hooked on a few months later as the Reds' advance scout -- he still follows many of his former club's players.

"I have a lot of good memories," Mackanin said. "There are a lot of good people in the organization and I liked a lot of the players. I root for the players I liked, just not against us."

Mackanin also has the Reds playing better, just as he did the Pirates. The Reds were 14-13 under him going into their three-game weekend series in PNC Park, compared to 31-51 under predecessor Jerry Narron.

Mackanin doesn't know if he'll get the chance to return next season but is hoping the Reds will consider his application.

"I've been from Triple-A to A to the big leagues and back to A, the Sally League and scouting and back to this," Mackanin said. "I guess you can say I wonder about it, but it's not something you can actively pursue. You've got to hope somebody recognizes your ability and thinks you can handle the job."

Sometimes, as Mackanin learned in Pittsburgh, a record doesn't always matter.

"It's hard to pursue this job because there's so much politics involved and so much else involved in it, but that being the case, I'm thrilled even to be doing this," he said. "If this is the extent of it, I'm extremely happy. I'd certainly like to have a chance to take a club from the first day through a whole season, but it's out of my hands."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mackanin hopes Reds will keep him

I hope P-Mack doesn't get his hopes up. Lance makes it sound like he's as good as gone (as a manager anyway) after this season:

Things I'm told
    This from MLB sources this afternoon. The Reds will have a list of 5-6 candidates....their wish list is
    1. Tony LaRussa (Has to decide if he wants to retun to StL....or maybe even go back to Oakland if the A's job opens)
    2. Joe Girardi
    3. Bob Brenly
    As for Pete Mackaninin? They love him...but he's got no shot. They would love to have him stay on in some capacity

Does anything on Lance's blog ever turn out to be correct?

LaRussa will not be leaving StL, he is just jocking for more money

Girardi yeah we wish

Brenly would take it in a heart be but do we really want him?

NO.

Enough interims who become "permanent."

Talkin' Baseball

Funny that Brenly made the list considering he couldn't even get an informal sit down with WK when he was in town last weekend, despite his request.

If he has a winning record at the end of the year, he deserves consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Girardi yeah we wish
    Not me.

Don't see any way LaRussa would go back to Oakland. There's no way Beane would allow that.

I think Girardi would take this job unless the Yankees offer which probably will not happen.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

No, No, No.................another Narron. I really don't see a big difference in there managing styles.

P-mack wont be back...if WK is still on board who knows who he will hire...La Russa is a possibility according to Peter Gammons
    Reds fan since 1970

B Cast pretty much stated we are going to fork over some dough for a proven skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    B Cast pretty much stated we are going to fork over some dough for a proven skipper.
    thank god...no retreads
    Reds fan since 1970

Mack has had some pretty strange lineups. It might be good to have a consistant lineup under a new manager.

I think Mack has done an decent job. I'm not sure if he's the answer to start in '08. However, I'm not sure if Girardi, Brenly, or even LaRussa could have much success with this bullpen.

Whoever WK chooses better be able to develop and play the "kids" because that's what's in our future.

Turn Off Ads?