Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Mackanin hopes Reds will keep him / Will Mackanin emerge as frontrunner?

Re: Will Mackanin emerge as front runner?

Quote Originally Posted by He got it! View Post
    In my opinion you can't punish Pete for the failure of others. Meaning you can't not choose Pete based solely because interim managers have failed in the past. It sounds like that is the only reasoning coming out of the don't bring back Pete camp. If that is the only reason you can come up with not to bring him back then that should speak volumes for how good a job he has done.

If the Detroit Lions would have had the same mind set of some of you they would not have Roy Williams right now (a top 10 reciever) and would have past on Calvin Johnson, the best player in the NFL draft due to their past negative history of drafting wide recievers. (The jury is still out on Johnson of course) My point is you can't be afraid to fail.

you absolutely can, it may not be fair to mackanin, but in my opinion thats what needs to be done. since they always play good for half a year with new managers, maybe we should bring in 2 interim managers, and then a special guest manager for the playoffs,

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ORG Infidel

It really is a crap shoot isn't it? If it turns out that they are playing well due to the manger change effect you waste another year finding out. If you go out and get a "proven winner" there is still the chance he will not work out.

I like the idea of finding a good assistant somewhere and offering them the opportunity. Mackanin is doing a good job and all but I think we really need new blood.

Let's see how the last 35 games turn out, obviously, but I'm not sure why we'd want "new blood" based on the results thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by He got it! View Post
    In my opinion you can't punish Pete for the failure of others. Meaning you can't not choose Pete based solely because interim managers have failed in the past. It sounds like that is the only reasoning coming out of the don't bring back Pete camp. If that is the only reason you can come up with not to bring him back then that should speak volumes for how good a job he has done.

If the Detroit Lions would have had the same mind set of some of you they would not have Roy Williams right now (a top 10 reciever) and would have past on Calvin Johnson, the best player in the NFL draft due to their past negative history of drafting wide recievers. (The jury is still out on Johnson of course) My point is you can't be afraid to fail.
    Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. If during the offseason (and extensive interview process) Mack is the leading candidate fine thats more than what we did with Miley and Narron.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    you absolutely can, it may not be fair to mackanin, but in my opinion thats what needs to be done. since they always play good for half a year with new managers, maybe we should bring in 2 interim managers, and then a special guest manager for the playoffs,
    If I am not mistaken, the reds didnt have a "play good" record for Miley. Some people use that reason but I think they was quite a bit under 500. I could be wrong though.

Re: Merged: Mackanin hopes Reds will keep him / Will Mackanin emerge as frontrunner?

they were 13 under, with miley, and they played .500 even with jerry narron, but keep in mind, mackanin's full sample size isn't in yet for the rest of the season. he's like 6 games over i believe right now, but that could change rapidly.

Re: Merged: Mackanin hopes Reds will keep him / Will Mackanin emerge as frontrunner?

Many posters here talk about wanting the Reds to do an extensive search for a manager after the season. Some say they want a proven winner. WK and BC know who is available today, next week, and after the season. Every team knows.

"Proven winner' is a term many like to use, but no one really names a name. Tony? Joe G? neither has a snowball's chance in Cincy. Brenly? BB has a job as the color man for the cubs and that's where he should stay. Besides, it is not cool to talk about wanting a manager's job while the manager still has it, even with an interim title.

Next. Ozzie G? He's a proven winner isn't he? Come on, it's a matter of time before he self destructs.

Many are never satisfied or happy unless they complain about something. Let's enjoy the rest of the season.

Do ya'll realize that IF we had played at the pace we have played at since Mac took over all year we would have the best record in the National League and the 2nd best record overall. And this is against play-off contenders - Mets, Padres, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Braves. That is with no major trades or upgrades. Although he probably did benefit from Milton and Lohse leaving the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    Many posters here talk about wanting the Reds to do an extensive search for a manager after the season. Some say they want a proven winner. WK and BC know who is available today, next week, and after the season. Every team knows.

"Proven winner' is a term many like to use, but no one really names a name. Tony? Joe G? neither has a snowball's chance in Cincy. Brenly? BB has a job as the color man for the cubs and that's where he should stay. Besides, it is not cool to talk about wanting a manager's job while the manager still has it, even with an interim title.

Next. Ozzie G? He's a proven winner isn't he? Come on, it's a matter of time before he self destructs.

Many are never satisfied or happy unless they complain about something. Let's enjoy the rest of the season.
    People are not saying that exactly. They are wanting a real search for a manager and then not base the signing on money. Thats why and how we got stuck with Boone, Miley, and Narron. No search and they were cheap.

Mugs,

We are probably saying the same thing in different ways. A search implies that the FO has no idea who is out there and that they are going to start from square one. I contend that every GM knows who is or will be available for the manger's job.

For example, when Pete was the interim in Pittsburgh, Dave Littlefield knew that Jim Tracy was going to be his manager before he fired Lloyd and replaced him with Pete. DL would deny it as this would be considered tampering. However, it was said that Tracy's wife was spending time in Pittsburgh before the season ended that year, and Tracy left the Dodgers. What does this have to do with the Reds? It illustrates what really happens behind the scenes in every Front Office of every team.

Another example, The ChiSox knew they were going to hire Ozzie back in 2003. Hired in 04, series win in 05, complete collapse in 07. Ozzie a "proven winner?" hardly.

Very simply, GMs and owners always watch how current managers perform, whether in the Bigs or elsewhere. Everyone has a "sponsor", believe me.

Another example is Grady Little. What happened to him after Boston? Jim Hendry parked him in the Cubs organization in case he had to make a move on Dusty. As it turned out, GL went to the Doders and Hendry got Lou.

I could provide many other examples that indicate a "search" is usually a formality, many times to comply with MLB's minority hiring rules.

Coach

If he gets the team back to 500 by season's end I'm all for bringing him back.This team seems to respond to him,I know it sounds like a broken record with the same thing being said for the former manager's.But I believe I see a new fight in this team,and don't seem to get down on them as much when they blow a lead.Different players have helped to light a spark with this team I believe,i.e.Keppinger et all.
    Like they say,hitting is contagious.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    If he gets the team back to 500 by season's end I'm all for bringing him back.This team seems to respond to him,I know it sounds like a broken record with the same thing being said for the former manager's.
    First,getting the team back to 500 is an extremely difficult task.
    Second, as Mroby85 stated earlier, the reds were 13 under during Miley's initial reign so he was not brought back following year because of "good record".
    Third, the way this team responds to Pete ,if it continues, I would rather spend money on helpful players and not a high-priced manager when we have one doing job now.

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone else see any similialirty in the play of Javy Valentin under an interim manager. If I remember correctly, Narron went with Javy alot during his interim stretch while Larue was struggling. Now, a couple years later Javy is at it again in the same situation. I know his d is suspect, but I wonder what he could do with 300-400 abs. Conspiracy?

I think Javy is a good player but I dont think i would want him catching guys for a whole year. He has a solid bat but for as good at he at batting he is equally opposite at catching. He hasnt been getting ran on that much since he took over but the times he does his mechanics make him bobble the ball and not even get the throw off.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    People are not saying that exactly. They are wanting a real search for a manager and then not base the signing on money. Thats why and how we got stuck with Boone, Miley, and Narron. No search and they were cheap.
    And when that search is done with Mackanin getting
    the job,how many fans here at RedsZone will buy
    that a search was done at all?
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Turn Off Ads?