Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Mackanin hopes Reds will keep him / Will Mackanin emerge as frontrunner?

Will Mackanin emerge as front runner?

The Reds have the best record in a bad division since Pete Mackanin took over. Do any of you feel he can emerge as a front runner to be the permanent manager?

I would think the only think to keep him from being the guy is the Reds recent failures in making interim managers the main guy.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Mackanin emerge as front runner?

The best way they can protect themselves is sign a 1-year deal with him.

But I'm all for Mackanin being next year's manager.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    The Reds have the best record in a bad division since Pete Mackanin took over. Do any of you feel he can emerge as a front runner to be the permanent manager?

I would think the only think to keep him from being the guy is the Reds recent failures in making interim managers the main guy.
    I dont like a lot of things he does but hes probably my 2nd or 3rd pick

I like the way he goes against the grain at times. I also think he has earned the job thus far. Having said that, there's a lot of baseball to be played.

My gut feeling is to agree with ChatterRed.

If the Reds aren't going to go out and get an established winner for Manager, I'd just as soon have Mackanin for another year to see what happens.

No, No, No a thousand times NO! It's not that I really have anything against Pete, he came into a bad situation and has done admirably. It's just that there is always an up-tick in performance under a new manager (see 90's bengals and 2000's Reds).

The Reds need to go get a proven manager, that can command some respect from these "superstars" and put the fear of god in the young players coming up. The Reds need to start paying more for their manager than they do for the 25th guy on the roster.

I think this team is more about young players maturing than anything.

The bullpen is starting to mature and find itself.

Certain position players are starting to play up to their potential.

As the rest of the team gets better, it's only going to help out Dunn and Junior, too.

When all the parts start clicking, you have a fine tuned machine.

Maybe Pete Mackanin is the oil?
    Who's on first?

I would be all for it, as long as the players have the same attitude as they do now with him being the manager. They say that they like playing for him, but will they continue this success/play with him next year? It's hard to tell. If they do really want him, and will do so, then I see no question as for him to be the manager.

NOOOOOO!!!! This is the exact same path we've been down for the how many manager changes. IT DOESN'T WORK!!!! Everyone wanted to keep Narrron after his intern stint, that worked well. If this FO doesn't get a proven winner, then I will finally move to the fire WK camp (currently I am in the "He needs 4 years to put a winner out there" Camp).

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    1. The Reds need to go get a proven manager, 2. that can command some respect from these "superstars" and 3. put the fear of god in the young players coming up. 4. The Reds need to start paying more for their manager than they do for the 25th guy on the roster.
    Redlegz...

1. a. What is your definition of a proven manager?
    b. List three that meet your requirements. i will comment on them for you.

2. It is clear to anyone paying attention that Pete has the players' respect. Please ask them for their opinion. You may find a consensus.

3. How does a manager put the "fear of god" into anyone. This is not high school football, Red. That kind of immature treatment belongs in amateur ranks.

4. No disagreement with a higher salary, however, if you look into manager's salaries, you might be surprised. Here is a list for 2007. As I am sure you know, Red, the MLB minimum is $380k.

Joe Torre, NYY $7.5 million
    Lou Piniella, CHC $3.5 million
    Bobby Cox, ATL $3 million
    Tony La Russa, STL $2.8 million
    Mike Scioscia, LAA $2 million
    Jim Leyland, DET $2 million
    Bruce Bochy, SF $1.75 million
    Terry Francona, BOS $1.65 million
    Phil Garner, HOU $1.5 million
    Willie Randolph, NYM $1.4 million
    Mike Hargrove, SEA $1.3 million
    Ron Gardenhire, MIN $1.25 million
    Ozzie Guillen, CHW $1.1 million
    Eric Wedge, CLE $1.025 million
    Jim Tracy, PIT $1 million
    Bob Melvin, ARI $875,000
    Buddy Bell, KC $825,000
    Ned Yost, MIL $825,000
    Clint Hurdle, COL $800,000
    Charlie Manuel, PHI $800,000
    Jerry Narron, CIN $600,000
    Grady Little, LAD $600,000
    Sam Perlozzo, BAL $600,000
    Ron Washington, TEX $600,000
    Joe Maddon, TAM $550,000
    John Gibbons, TOR $500,000
    Manny Acta, WAS $500,000
    Bob Geren, OAK $500,000

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    NOOOOOO!!!! This is the exact same path we've been down for the how many manager changes. IT DOESN'T WORK!!!! Everyone wanted to keep Narrron after his intern stint, that worked well. If this FO doesn't get a proven winner, then I will finally move to the fire WK camp (currently I am in the "He needs 4 years to put a winner out there" Camp).
    Who is this "everyone" you speak of?

Please don't put me in that group. I did not want Jerry Narron. :thumbdown
    Who's on first?

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

In my opinion you can't punish Pete for the failure of others. Meaning you can't not choose Pete based solely because interim managers have failed in the past. It sounds like that is the only reasoning coming out of the don't bring back Pete camp. If that is the only reason you can come up with not to bring him back then that should speak volumes for how good a job he has done.

If the Detroit Lions would have had the same mind set of some of you they would not have Roy Williams right now (a top 10 reciever) and would have past on Calvin Johnson, the best player in the NFL draft due to their past negative history of drafting wide recievers. (The jury is still out on Johnson of course) My point is you can't be afraid to fail.
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by He got it! View Post
    My point is you can't be afraid to fail.
    Wasn't that Mike Brown's motto for almost 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    No, No, No a thousand times NO! It's not that I really have anything against Pete, he came into a bad situation and has done admirably. It's just that there is always an up-tick in performance under a new manager (see 90's bengals and 2000's Reds).

The Reds need to go get a proven manager, that can command some respect from these "superstars" and put the fear of god in the young players coming up. The Reds need to start paying more for their manager than they do for the 25th guy on the roster.
    Pete took Coffey out the set-up role,double switched Jr and a few other things that get respect. Whether he is the right man or not, I dont know, but please let's quit judging one man because of what another did.
    If Burton/Bray wasnt helping the bullpen right now, would Pete's record be any better than JN's ? Probably not.
    Also, this team needs to worry more about 3-5 in the rotation "more" than Pete in the dugout. Not sayin it isnt important but Pete , Torre, Girardi or whoever can not keep winning games 11-9 and 9-8 as we have been.

I think the "proven winner" is overstated. It's hard to prove yourself if you don't get the opportunity.

Turn Off Ads?