Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Scott Hatteberg question?

Scott Hatteberg question?

If we don't pick up his option and soemone else resigns him is he a type A free agent and we would get two sandwhich picks?
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Hatteberg question?

I would not think he is a A. He is a bench player, so I would think he would be at best a C free agent.

Roster glue

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I would not think he is a A. He is a bench player, so I would think he would be at best a C free agent.
    Hatteberg is most likely a B, though the "last" two type A free agents ranked by Elias from 2006 were Frank Catalanotto and Kevin Millar, and Hatteberg should easily (even accounting for a second-half swoon) approach the production of those two.

At any rate, the point is moot because Hatteberg would have to be offered arbitration and decline for the Reds to receive comp picks, and he will certainly earn more than the 1.85 MM owed on his option in salary arbitration. The Reds will get nothing if they decline Hatteberg's option, or a higher price tag for Mr. Hat if they take the arbitration risk.

Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    The Reds will get nothing if they decline Hatteberg's option, or a higher price tag for Mr. Hat if they take the arbitration risk.
    Which is why they need to have Votto up sooner instead of later to allow them to make their most informed decision on Hatteburg.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    Which is why they need to have Votto up sooner instead of later to allow them to make their most informed decision on Hatteburg.
    A thousand times yes!!! The time to evaluate Votto is now, not just in September. By bringing him up now, games in August will add contenders still busting their butts to win, (LA, SD, ATL, and add series against MB, CC, and STL.)That's 19 more games against teams still competing before 9/3. This is a great opportunity to see him against more real competition.

I've seen Votto play. I don't know what the big fuss is about. I hope I'm wrong, but he really doesn't look that great to me. I do agree that since we are out of the race we should give some of these young kids a chance to face big leaguers.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Red View Post
    I've seen Votto play. I don't know what the big fuss is about. I hope I'm wrong, but he really doesn't look that great to me. I do agree that since we are out of the race we should give some of these young kids a chance to face big leaguers.
    I would like to see Votto but I am not saying he will be great but I would rate him in the "very good" potential.
    Using the Giants of a few years ago, maybe not Bonds but Kent which wouldnt be all bad.
    Now Bruce I think has a "chance" to fall in the G word class.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    A thousand times yes!!! The time to evaluate Votto is now, not just in September. By bringing him up now, games in August will add contenders still busting their butts to win, (LA, SD, ATL, and add series against MB, CC, and STL.)That's 19 more games against teams still competing before 9/3. This is a great opportunity to see him against more real competition.
    The rosters expand in September. I would not expect him to see him until then , especially since neither Conine or Hatteberg were traded.

Turn Off Ads?