Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lawyer Question

Lawyer Question

The lawyer I have hired has had to postpone two different court dates because it conflicted with her schedule. The problem I have is she is charging me to reschedule the court dates when the court dates having to be rescheduled are because of her conflicts and not mine. I asked her why I was being charged and she basically advised me to refer back to the contract I signed which allows her to do so.

Is this the norm or is this lawyer screwing me over???
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lawyer Question

George, as with most business relationships, it's all about the contract. However, I'd be finding myself a different lawyer if I was you. A lawyer charging YOU for HER scheduling conflicts is bad business, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

WMo is probably right, but there may be a quirk in the Indiana law.

I recommend contacting the body that oversees Indiana lawyers to make sure there isn't a consumer protection statute that prevents this.

I think this is it:
    http://www.inbar.org/content/news/article.asp?art=281

If your lawyer is acting legally, then I agree that it might be best to switch lawyers if your contract feasibly allows you to do so.

Good luck.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Like the above posters, I'd find a new one whether it's legal or not.

In one case she's breaking the law, the other she's making money off of her own inefficiency.

In the words of Lance, Justin, JC, and Chris: Bye, bye, bye.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Well the problem is I had already paid $1500 in legal fees to her before she decided to start charging me to reschedule the court dates. So by the time I hire another attorney it would likely cost me another $1500 for another attorney to take over the case. Considering the case is about getting child support for my nephew we have guardianship of, there is not going to be alot of money there to cover the $3000 I am going to have to spend in attorney fees.

The story kinda gets better, the first case she had to have postponed because of a conflict in her schedule. The second time she had another conflict in her schedule but the partner in her firm was going to cover the case for her. Well just last week she called and told me that her partner had a conflict in his schedule and he couldnt cover the case for her, so instead she is having a lawyer from another firm cover it for her. But of course I am having to pay that attorney now also. Basically the attorney I hired is getting paid in excess of $1500 just to file a court date for me while I pay even more money to another attorney to go to court.

This attorney was referred to me by another attorney I use for our family business and he highly recommended her. I will likely file a complaint and let the attorney who referred her to me know about her business practices. Hopefully he wont refer her to anyone again.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

She sounds like a real worm.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    She sounds like a real worm.

Yep, this is exactly the kind of stuff that gives lawyers a bad name.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's ok do it.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yep, this is exactly the kind of stuff that gives lawyers a bad name.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's ok do it.
    Haha, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking while reading GA's last post.

Remember she is working for you, not the other way around.
    Reds fan since 1970

Turn Off Ads?