Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Bonds Ties Aaron

  1. #1
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Bonds Ties Aaron

    Will he break it in the same game?
    Most Vottomatic Player

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,632

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    Bonds who?

  4. #3
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    Bond(s). James Bond(s). He can do anything.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    904

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    A-ROD 500... Bonds 755... on the same day...amazing
    Reds fan since 1970

  6. #5
    got alil captain in u?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bridgeport Ohio
    Posts
    4,839

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    hopefully he hits it tonite so we all can quit hearing about it and move on.

  7. #6
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    i've watched about their last 4 games, and i miss the 1st at bat tonight, and guess what, lol.

  8. #7
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    *
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    130

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    steroids or no steroids, Bonds is/was a superior baseball player to Hank Aaron. He may have not "deserved" the record, but he definitely deserves to rate ahead of Aaron as a total player.

  10. #9
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    steroids or no steroids, Bonds is/was a superior baseball player to Hank Aaron. He may have not "deserved" the record, but he definitely deserves to rate ahead of Aaron as a total player.
    I don't know...Barry's numbers are hard to gauge, because of steroids and other teams unwillingness to pitch to him. If Bonds played in Aaron's era, how would he have dealt with pitchers like Bob Gibson constantly pushing him off the plate (which is his most underrated advantage over past players)? How would Bonds, an already thin skinned guy, deal with the threats Aaron played through. Hard to say. Aaron had some RIDICULOUS seasons. In '71, (at 37 no less...) he hit .327, 47, 118, OPS 1.079, scored 95 runs, and only played in 135 games, (and no steroids). Yes, he only won 1 MVP, but that was a different era, and guys playing in Milwaukee and Atlanta don't get the recognition they deserve. Tough Call.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    130

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I don't know...Barry's numbers are hard to gauge, because of steroids and other teams unwillingness to pitch to him. If Bonds played in Aaron's era, how would he have dealt with pitchers like Bob Gibson constantly pushing him off the plate (which is his most underrated advantage over past players)? How would Bonds, an already thin skinned guy, deal with the threats Aaron played through. Hard to say. Aaron had some RIDICULOUS seasons. In '71, (at 37 no less...) he hit .327, 47, 118, OPS 1.079, scored 95 runs, and only played in 135 games, (and no steroids). Yes, he only won 1 MVP, but that was a different era, and guys playing in Milwaukee and Atlanta don't get the recognition they deserve. Tough Call.

    Teams always feared Barry. Prior to 2000 he had already owned the record for intentional walks, a record Aaron once held. I think that Bonds superior on-base ability, and baserunning makes him a better offensive player. I also think he was the better fielder.

    BTW, the pitcher Bonds hit his 755th homerun tested positive for steroids. Talk about irony

  12. #11
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    Teams always feared Barry. Prior to 2000 he had already owned the record for intentional walks, a record Aaron once held. I think that Bonds superior on-base ability, and baserunning makes him a better offensive player. I also think he was the better fielder.
    Aaron played on teams with more offensive weapons, so he was harder to pitch around (Eddie Mathews, Joe Adcock, Joe Torre, etc....) than Bonds, who only had one real offensve threat for a teammate at a time (Bonilla, Matt Williams, Kent)
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  13. #12
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    bonds also hits in a pitchers park. i think if we're going to used the asterisk so freely, it should be used to players that hit at GABP, or Coors Field. everything isn't going to ever be completely level so people should just get over it. Steroids are not what made bonds the amazing player that he is.

  14. #13
    Firin Away Jr's Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    Congratulations Barry Bonds.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    Pedro Martinez during that 3-4 year span was the most dominant/impressive pitcher I'd ever seen. Almost at the same time Barry Bonds was potentially the most feared hitter ever. If you throw in the likes of JR, A-Rod, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Mark McGuire, Sosa, Glavine, and steroids, I'd say we've witnessed a very significant era of baseball history.
    Last edited by Orenda; 08-05-2007 at 10:04 AM.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    904

    Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

    the guy is in the top 3 players of all time....that is just the way it is...players have cheated throughout the history of the game. Not that i like the guy, because i don't. But give him his due.
    Reds fan since 1970


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25