Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plaxico punishment too harsh?

Plaxico punishment too harsh?

Since I don't own a gun and never will I'm not too sure about the laws when it comes to what you can and can't do with a gun and also how severe the punishments are when gun laws are broken.I'm sure it's against the law to walk into a bar with a gun but basically isn't that all that Plaxico is guilty of? I know there are a lot of very bad things that could have happened but what did happen is that he shot himself on accident.Sure, he's an idiot and shouldn't have done it but 2 years in jail?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Plaxico punishment too harsh?

NYC doesn't play around with illegal possession of a firearm. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Since I don't own a gun and never will I'm not too sure about the laws when it comes to what you can and can't do with a gun and also how severe the punishments are when gun laws are broken.I'm sure it's against the law to walk into a bar with a gun but basically isn't that all that Plaxico is guilty of? I know there are a lot of very bad things that could have happened but what did happen is that he shot himself on accident.Sure, he's an idiot and shouldn't have done it but 2 years in jail?
    Discharging a firearm in a crowded public place is a serious offense. I'm a fierce proponent of gun rights but there is no defense for what he did. If you can't control it and use it properly, don't carry it.

For a Level Playing Field

Got what he deserved. The law was in place before he did it. Is the law fair? I think so. Hopefully he will come out of jail a smarter individual. If not, then there are more jail cells. He'd be in that jail longer if that stray bullet had hit someone other than himself. He should thank the good Lord for the fact that he got "lucky" and only shot himself.

Compared to what Chris Brown got for beating the crap out of Rihanna? Yes.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Compared to what Chris Brown got for beating the crap out of Rihanna? Yes.
    Then again, Donte Stallworth killed someone and only got 30 days. Absolutely sickening.

NYC has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Plax got what he deserved in the NYC court of law.

What do you bring a loaded gun, with the safety off, into a club for? This has nothing to do with gun rights, it has to do with stupidity.

He was stupid and he broke the law. I saw an interview on E60 and he was asked why he didn't have a holster, he responded something to the extent, "it was a mistake".

When comparing the sentencing to other crimes you'll find disparities all day long. Some have already been noted. You can argue that X crime is worse than Y crime till the cows come home.

NY state has very strict gun control laws. Responsible firearms ownership entails following the laws to the best of your abilities. Period. If you don't like the law work to change it legislatively. In the meantime, follow the laws.

Responsible firearms ownership also entails knowing how to operate the firearm and use it safely. I don't know the details of the case but the bottom line is having a firearm out of the holster in a nightclub (unless you are preparing to use it in self-defense) and your finger near/on/close to the trigger is the antithesis of firearms safety. Having it pointed at anything other than a safe backstop is also another cardinal sin. Pointing it at yourself is...well....not to bright. There's a lot of people who want to show off and play tough-guy. As a firearms owner and daily user I'd like to smack anyone that stupid upside the head. Obviously it's unsafe, but it also tarnishes those of us who exercise great care, take extensive training, and are hyper-focused on safety.

So ultimately, the punishment might not square up with other crimes, but for the shear stupidity of what he did, and the laws he broke, he deserves punishment of some sort.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-26-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Yes its completely fair

Too harsh? Yes. But I agree with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    So ultimately, the punishment might not square up with other crimes, but for the shear stupidity of what he did, and the laws he broke, he deserves punishment of some sort.

I think it's admirable that the NYC prosecutors treated Burress like any other citizen who went into a crowded bar with a gun jammed into the waistband of his/her designer sweatpants, then managed to shoot themselves while endangering the lives of literally hundreds of people. In a lot of jurisdictions he'd have been given a sweetheart deal and a slap on the wrists. He deserves every bit of this, and shame on ESPN for airing that ridiculous piece last night meant to curry sympathy.

If that incident happened to a random citizen, I don't think they get jail time.

Mayor Bloomberg made a point from the beginning that Plaxico needed to serve as an example.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Being in line with what the law says doesn't necessarily mean fair. Two years for essentially taking a registered gun across state lines? Unfair. If he had registered the gun in New York he would not be going to jail. That's a pretty harsh punishment.

The bigger issue is the mayor and prosecutor publicly saying they were going to make an example of him because he is a celebrity. That is wholly unfair. Not much different that famous people getting off easy.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    NYC doesn't play around with illegal possession of a firearm. Period.
    Plax's goose was cooked the second Bloomberg opened his yap about "Plax will serve jail time"

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Being in line with what the law says doesn't necessarily mean fair. Two years for essentially taking a registered gun across state lines? Unfair. If he had registered the gun in New York he would not be going to jail. That's a pretty harsh punishment.

The bigger issue is the mayor and prosecutor publicly saying they were going to make an example of him because he is a celebrity. That is wholly unfair. Not much different that famous people getting off easy.
    The mayor and the prosecutor didnt hand down the punishment.

Turn Off Ads?