Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffey gets a "Hold"?

Coffey gets a "Hold"?

I was reviewing the box score of last night's Reds game (Adam Dunn is such a slacker-why did he wait until the tenth inning to hit his home run, and why didn't he make sure that more that one guy was on when he hit it?).
    Anyway, the box score on SI's web site had a pitching line for Todd Coffey of .1 innings pitched, 1 hit allowed, 1 base on balls, 1 strikeout, 1 home run allowed, three earned runs, a season ERA of 6.04---no surprises in any of that, as I had watched the game---but then I noticed this entry: "H, 6."
    Was Todd Coffey credited with his sixth "hold" last night?
    How in the world should Coffey get credit for a "hold" for his pitching performance last night?
    If the box score was accurate, the requirements for being credited with a hold should be radically revised, or the whole idea of a "hold" abandoned.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coffey gets a "Hold"?

I think the definition of a hold could be "an appearance made by the pitcher before the pitcher credited with a save where the pitcher before the pitcher credited with the save didn't blow the lead, despite how bad the pitcher before the pitcher credited with the save pitched".

Rolls right of the tongue.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I'd like to A HOLD of Coffey.

"panic" only comes from having real expectations

Hold.

Horrific
    Outing,
    Literally
    Devastating

Hold.

Get with it RedsBaron.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

They should put in an "ineffective clause" that states that the official scorer(s) have the discretion to remove the hold if the pitcher allows two or more earned runs and is determined to have been ineffective.

Isn't a "hold" where a pitcher comes in with his team in the lead, and leaves with his team still winning? I think that's how he gets credit for it, but much like with Weathers' save, I don't know how serious you can take it, as it certainly was not effective.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Lucky for us, he got a contract extension last season and we will be graced with his presence next season.

Hey Wayne, quit giving everybody who shows a flash of something a contract extension!!!

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Lucky for us, he got a contract extension last season and we will be graced with his presence next season.

Hey Wayne, quit giving everybody who shows a flash of something a contract extension!!!
    He was arbitration eligible anyways. He was here regardless of the contract extension. The only thing accomplished with the guaranteed contract is that the Reds probably wasted 200K or so by doing it when they did. They were banking on Coffey being useful this season to get a discount(which IMO was not that far of a stretch).

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    He was arbitration eligible anyways. He was here regardless of the contract extension. The only thing accomplished with the guaranteed contract is that the Reds probably wasted 200K or so by doing it when they did. They were banking on Coffey being useful this season to get a discount(which IMO was not that far of a stretch).

While it's true he was arbitration eligible, there's no law that states the Reds would have to offer him arbitation. Now, they are stuck paying him whether he's on the club or not.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Hold.

Horrific
    Outing,
    Literally
    Devastating

Hold.

Get with it RedsBaron.
    Thanks. I guess that means that the Reds bullpen leads the league in Holds.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    While it's true he was arbitration eligible, there's no law that states the Reds would have to offer him arbitation. Now, they are stuck paying him whether he's on the club or not.
    That is rapidly becoming a Reds tradition
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I was reviewing the box score of last night's Reds game (Adam Dunn is such a slacker-why did he wait until the tenth inning to hit his home run, and why didn't he make sure that more that one guy was on when he hit it?).
    Anyway, the box score on SI's web site had a pitching line for Todd Coffey of .1 innings pitched, 1 hit allowed, 1 base on balls, 1 strikeout, 1 home run allowed, three earned runs, a season ERA of 6.04---no surprises in any of that, as I had watched the game---but then I noticed this entry: "H, 6."
    Was Todd Coffey credited with his sixth "hold" last night?
    How in the world should Coffey get credit for a "hold" for his pitching performance last night?
    If the box score was accurate, the requirements for being credited with a hold should be radically revised, or the whole idea of a "hold" abandoned.
    He was holding his neck.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I agree. As much as I love to criticize WK, his logic was correct in this case. As far as Coffey goes, I think he's become Gary Majewski. He may get back to being a decent major league reliever, but I really doubt he'll do it here. It seems to be in his head now. He doesn't have the deer in the headlights look that Maj had last year, but these seem to be 2 guys who need a change of scenery very badly.

I think Coffey will turn it around after he's moved on. Its a shame. He's one of my favorites and I had high hopes that he might help hold a bullpen together that looked pretty bad from the outset. I hope he has a good career wherever he winds up. I also hope I'm wrong and he turns it around in Cincy.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Thanks. I guess that means that the Reds bullpen leads the league in Holds.
    Yes. And saves too.

Sorry
    As#
    Virtually
    Effectiveless
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

In all fairness, Coffey was pretty great last year. His 2nd half was certainly not that of his 1st, but he looked like an all star the 1st half as he was almost unhittable. Even at his worst last year, it was still better than his best this year. Something went drastically wrong somwhere along the way.

Turn Off Ads?