Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 08/05/2007- Minor League Updates.

Re: 08/05/2007- Minor League Updates.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Strikeouts are overrated. He might strike out 180 times in the big leagues. I could care less as long as he posts a .350 OBP and plays above average defense in CF.

As for him not bunting and swinging for the fences, talk to the Reds hitting coaches in the minors.
    Strikeouts may very well be overrated (although I don't agree), but at the pace this kid does it, there is now way he puts up anywhere close to a .350 OBP%.

You can't walk everytime and those K's indicate huge and easily exploitable holes in his swing.

He may someday figure it out, but he won't produce much more than defense and decent baserunning right now.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

REDS 44 , remember I was the one that told you about that site. I've watched those games and seen him in person 3 times. Louisville has 2 more trips into Indy this season ,13-15th and Aug 31-Sept 1, I'll be there for those too. Never miss a chance to watch Reds prospects at Victory Field. And Reds 44 relax buddy , we can disagree thats the beauty of being a baseball fan.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Strikeouts may very well be overrated (although I don't agree), but at the pace this kid does it, there is now way he puts up anywhere close to a .350 OBP%.

You can't walk everytime and those K's indicate huge and easily exploitable holes in his swing.

He may someday figure it out, but he won't produce much more than defense and decent baserunning right now.
    He is a centerfielder. He needs a .740 OPS to be middle of the road at the position.

Thats also like saying at the rate Dunn or Howard strike out they couldn't put up a .350 OBP.... but somehow they do it just fine. He doesn't have the power like they do, but he also plays a premiere defensive position unlike the other two guys I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    We heard the same thing about Bailey last year, but he wasn't promoted to AAA for a reason in 2006. Bruce on the otherhand, was promoted for a reason in 2007 to AAA.

Bruce projects as the real deal if he fills out his game. Bailey has that type of talent but needs to actually work on pitching this offseason rather than blow his own horn. How he comes out in ST 08 will tell us alot about Homer.
    Bruce is a much better prospect right now than Bailey was in 2006. Homer Bailey was a top 5-10 guy. Jay Bruce is a top 1 or 2 guy.

Looking forward to viewing Jay Bruce in person for the 5 games here in Indy. Hopefully Cueto will pitch in both the series , maybe Bailey too.

We heard the same thing about Bailey last year, but he wasn't promoted to AAA for a reason in 2006. Bruce on the otherhand, was promoted for a reason in 2007 to AAA.

Bruce projects as the real deal if he fills out his game. Bailey has that type of talent but needs to actually work on pitching this offseason rather than blow his own horn. How he comes out in ST 08 will tell us alot about Homer.
    Bailey? I've rarely said a word about Bailey and for a reason. Trying to project pitching is about impossible. Position players? Easy.

Bruce will be a star. I'd bet my 57 Mantle Topps on that.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Bruce is a much better prospect right now than Bailey was in 2006. Homer Bailey was a top 5-10 guy. Jay Bruce is a top 1 or 2 guy.
    Revisionism. I remember some posts on here last year, that claimed Bailey was the best pitching prospect in baseball.

Bailey must hate the odd years.

Revisionism. I remember some posts on here last year, that claimed Bailey was the best pitching prospect in baseball.

Have you watched the Reds lately? This is a Reds website and you are shocked that people were hyped about a young pitcher? Much less a young pitcher putting up good numbers with a high draft slot?

That still has nothing to do with Jay Bruce. You can't compare him to Bailey. Homer was never as good as Jay is now at his role. Jay Bruce is the best player not in the league.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Bruce will be a star at 20 , he already makes adjustments. Hitting 312 at Louisville after a slow start. All his power numbers and on base numbers have stayed high at all 3 levels. When he hits a ball it has that special sound.

He is a centerfielder. He needs a .740 OPS to be middle of the road at the position.

Thats also like saying at the rate Dunn or Howard strike out they couldn't put up a .350 OBP.... but somehow they do it just fine. He doesn't have the power like they do, but he also plays a premiere defensive position unlike the other two guys I mentioned.
    We'll see, maybe.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

You think he could put up the .350 OBP in the bigs though? He has just hovered around that mark at AA and AAA. I can see Dickerson being a 5th OF (and a good one too with his speed and defense) but I don't see him hitting well enough to be a guy I want getting regular ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    We'll see, maybe.
    Hopefully we do get a chance to see. Look at what the White Sox have been doing. Playing young guys like Fields, Owens, and Richar everyday to go along with Floyd and Danks in the rotation. They've actually played better too.

If only the Reds would do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

No sir. Bailey was arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball last year. He still was behind Delmon Young and Alex Gordon on every list around.

Jay Bruce is going to end this year at #1 or #2. Jay Bruce is also a position player, which as everyone knows, don't miss nearly at the rate pitchers do.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    You think he could put up the .350 OBP in the bigs though? He has just hovered around that mark at AA and AAA. I can see Dickerson being a 5th OF (and a good one too with his speed and defense) but I don't see him hitting well enough to be a guy I want getting regular ABs.
    Well yeah, that's the question.

Maybe things are starting to click for him in AAA (the talent has always been there), and he will come up and play well. Maybe his 3 month stretch in AAA is just a hot streak.

Call him up and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Arguably, Dickerson has made strides. His stats might be about the same every year, but in theory, he's facing more difficult pitching every year. My opinion is that Chris Dickerson will be no better than a fourth outfielder. If he plays good defense, has good speed, and isn't good at anything else, then don't start him for the Reds; he could be an ideal substitute, though.

Turn Off Ads?