Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiver Wire

Waiver Wire

I didn't want to start a complete thread for just one transaction or just one player clearing waivers so maybe we can use this thread to discuss all things pertaining to the waiver wire.

so, with that said, Mike Piazza has cleared waivers and can be traded to any team in baseball per ESPN's Buster Olney. I have no idea who might be interested in Piazza, but he is available.

Does anyone else know who is out there and available.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Waiver Wire

This is old news but I'll put it here in case a few have not heard it.

Link

The D-Backs claimed Byun-Yung Kim, Jeff Cirillo and Joe Kennedy off of waivers, from the Marlins, Twins and A's respectively.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Olney said that Miguel Tejada was claimed on waiver by the White Sox, but they couldn't complete a trade and Tejada is still in Baltimore.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    ...so, with that said, Mike Piazza has cleared waivers and can be traded to any team in baseball per ESPN's Buster Olney. I have no idea who might be interested in Piazza, but he is available.
    I'm betting the Angels end up with him, but Stoneman is kind of an immovable object to Beane's unstoppable force.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

http://www.bradfordfiles.com/?p=155

Wily Mo cleared waivers. The Sox signed Bobby Kielty to a minor league deal, but he can opt out if he's not promoted in a week, so something could happen pretty soon.
    Last edited by Heath; 08-07-2007 at 03:12 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post

Wily Mo cleared waivers. The Sox signed Bobby Kielty to a minor league deal, but he can opt out if he's not promoted in a week, so something could happen pretty soon.

Wow. Wily Mo got passed up by his ol Buddy, Leatherpants. Wonder if he's waiting for an outright release.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

So can he be sent to Louisville now?

Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    So can he be sent to Louisville now?

You laugh, BUT, if his value is now so low that no one was willing to claim him (and his salary) off revocable waivers, maybe no one would be willing to claim him (and his salary) off irrevocable waivers, and since he doesn't appear to have enough service time to refuse a minor league assignment, this could actually wind up with Wily Mo in AAA. If no one makes a half decent offer for him, and if the Red Sox are absolutely determined to replace him on the 25 man roster, what have they got to lose by trying?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

…since he doesn't appear to have enough service time to refuse a minor league assignment…
    Actually, I believe he does. Cots says he had 4.101 years of service time entering this season. That means he needed 71 more days on the active roster to become a five-year player and gain the ability to refuse an outright assignment. ESPN says he has appeared in 68 games this season. Add in his 15-day trip to the DL, plus assorted off-days and games he didn't appear in, and I'd bet he's past the threshold for five years of service.
    Makes all the routine posts.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

You laugh, BUT, if his value is now so low that no one was willing to claim him (and his salary) off revocable waivers, maybe no one would be willing to claim him (and his salary) off irrevocable waivers, and since he doesn't appear to have enough service time to refuse a minor league assignment, this could actually wind up with Wily Mo in AAA. If no one makes a half decent offer for him, and if the Red Sox are absolutely determined to replace him on the 25 man roster, what have they got to lose by trying?
    It would be a god send for Wily Mo wherever he goes to finally be a minor leaguer. Hey, we could use a RH bat w/ Power. How about oh I don't Mike Stanton Boston?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

From MLBTradeRumors.

According to Rob Bradford of the Boston Herald, Wily Mo Pena has cleared waivers without a claim. It seems no team was willing to risk taking on the $580K owed to Pena this year. Or maybe it was the $2MM+ he'll get in 2008 before reaching free agency. Pena can now be freely traded to any team in baseball, though the players received would have to clear waivers too if on the 40-man roster. The way around it would be to make them players to be named later.

I'm surprised no one put in a claim on Pena. It can't really be his salary, can it? Teams waste more than that on players with no upside constantly. Abraham Nunez makes almost $2MM this year. Is it possible that Theo Epstein somehow convinced the 29 other GMs not to put in a claim? That doesn't seem possible either. Why wouldn't Jim Bowden put in a claim? He loves Pena. Why wouldn't the White Sox put in a claim? Even if a GM figured he couldn't hammer out a deal with Epstein for Pena, why not put in a claim anyway just in case?

I predicted a couple years ago that WMP winds up Japan, very soon. I'm still sticking with that.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I predicted a couple years ago that WMP winds up Japan, very soon. I'm still sticking with that.

I think he's big enough he could wind Japan up. :
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Actually, I believe he does. Cots says he had 4.101 years of service time entering this season. That means he needed 71 more days on the active roster to become a five-year player and gain the ability to refuse an outright assignment. ESPN says he has appeared in 68 games this season. Add in his 15-day trip to the DL, plus assorted off-days and games he didn't appear in, and I'd bet he's past the threshold for five years of service.
    You're right, sorry about that. Well, that just adds another layer of intrigue to the story.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It would be a god send for Wily Mo wherever he goes to finally be a minor leaguer.
    I'm glad that some major league team was finally able to convince Wily Mo and his agent to accept a deal that will alow him to go to the minors.

Turn Off Ads?