Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Chris Dickerson the next Chris Denorfia?

Is Chris Dickerson the next Chris Denorfia?

Saw a little bit on the SD form about Dickerson's hot second half. While the recent push gives Dickerson only to .265/.791 there are some comparisons physically and he's actually increased his BA and OPS.

Fool's gold or the new fad?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Chris Dickerson the next Chris Denorfia?

Looks more like the next Anderson Machado
    Go Gators!

Good glove, doesn't have the bat to stick, IMO.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Jeff Keppinger is the next Chris Denorfia.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Dickerson could be a useful 5th OF - good glove, good wheels, perhaps a .750ish OPS. Ideally, the Reds should be building the bench from players like him (developed in-house or plucked inexpensively from other organizations - like Freel and Cody Ross) instead of paying older guys, who in most cases won't be any better, to sit on the bench. It would free up more cash to spend on frontline talents.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

A .750 OPS would put him in the middle of the pack for centerfielders though. I certainly wouldn't mind giving him a shot at a bench job next season.

Denorfia and Dickerson are very different players. Denorfia is a high average, lower power, low strikeout with good defense guy. Dickerson is a low average, moderate power, high strikeout and great defense guy with more than enough speed.

Dickerson had a very bad month of May as he was promoted to Louisville, but since then he seems to have adjusted well and posted OPS's of .835 and .842 in June and July.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Denorfia and Dickerson are very different players. Denorfia is a high average, lower power, low strikeout with good defense guy. Dickerson is a low average, moderate power, high strikeout and great defense guy with more than enough speed.

Dickerson had a very bad month of May as he was promoted to Louisville, but since then he seems to have adjusted well and posted OPS's of .835 and .842 in June and July.
    Why is Deno only a "good" defense guy? Didn't he get best defender in the Intl League last year?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    A .750 OPS would put him in the middle of the pack for centerfielders though. I certainly wouldn't mind giving him a shot at a bench job next season.

He would be an interesting option but if Dunn is around, you have him in LF, Jr. in RF and either Hamilton, Hopper or Freel in CF. Of course they could keep Hamilton in the minors next year, possibly Hopper too, for that matter but it seems like he and Hopper have about the same kind of skills. I'm not si sure you want two guys like that on your bench.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He would be an interesting option but if Dunn is around, you have him in LF, Jr. in RF and either Hamilton, Hopper or Freel in CF. Of course they could keep Hamilton in the minors next year, possibly Hopper too, for that matter but it seems like he and Hopper have about the same kind of skills. I'm not si sure you want two guys like that on your bench.
    I wouldn't bet on all those guys being in Cincinnati next year. One or two of Junior, Dunn, and Freel is likely to be gone. Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I wouldn't bet on all those guys being in Cincinnati next year. One or two of Junior, Dunn, and Freel is likely to be gone. Just my opinion of course.

Possibly. But even if that happens, is having Dickerson on the roster while also having Hopper on there a good idea?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Possibly. But even if that happens, is having Dickerson on the roster while also having Hopper on there a good idea?
    It may not be. I'd say the two are slightly different hitters though so there may be room for them.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Why is Deno only a "good" defense guy? Didn't he get best defender in the Intl League last year?
    OK, let me rephrase that to VERY good. Dickerson is a little bit better though, probably thanks to his speed.

I would like to see Dickerson as a backup outfielder for the Reds. I understand he covers a ton of ground in center and the Reds don't have any other outfielders with blazing speed. The team doesn't have another "true" centerfielder. Hamilton and Hopper are ok in center but better as corner outfielders. Even if Free plays center, he needs lots of backup.

Dickerson could also make things happen on the bases. I like the idea of a "burner" on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Dickerson could be a useful 5th OF - good glove, good wheels, perhaps a .750ish OPS. Ideally, the Reds should be building the bench from players like him (developed in-house or plucked inexpensively from other organizations - like Freel and Cody Ross) instead of paying older guys, who in most cases won't be any better, to sit on the bench. It would free up more cash to spend on frontline talents.
    It's easy to ticket these guys for the bench, until you need to call on a pinch hitter with a man on second and two outs in the eighth inning of a tie game. That's a unique skill, and not all non-starter-level prospects have it.

Turn Off Ads?