Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Ten looking to add another team

Big Ten looking to add another team

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...n_N.htm?csp=34

This team is not in the article but I have heard Kentucky being mentioned as a possibility. Missouri, Pitt, and Texas I have heard mentioned in addition to Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Rutgers.

Notre Dame makes the most sense if they would do it. Even though UK is a charter member of the SEC, id love to see them in the Big Ten given the rivalry with Indiana and a potential one with Ohio St(plus it would be better for football).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Big Ten looking to add another team

No way Texas makes it. Geographically, it doesn't work. Notre Dame obviously makes the most sense, but I could also see a team like Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers or West Virginia making the change.

If the B10 does expand, it likely won't be for awhile, IMO.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I don't see Kentucky leaving the SEC. Or should I say, I don't see the SEC letting Kentucky get away.

I'd like the Big 10 to go back to 10. Send Penn State packing.

If you want the Big 12-get someone who will be a rival for Penn State.

Someone on another site, and I can't remember it off the top of my head, suggested Nebraska.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I don't see Kentucky leaving the SEC. Or should I say, I don't see the SEC letting Kentucky get away.
    Kentucky considers itself more Southern. I'd agree to that.

How about Louisville for the Big 10?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For comparison's sake: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...069/SPORTS0601

FWIW, rumors abounded that Miami University might be a potential target a couple years ago when they upgraded most of their athletic facilities.

I think Louisville would be a decent fit.

No way does UK change conferences.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I read an article recently in which former Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez was quoted saying that the Big Ten had been approached a few years ago by a large, high-profile university which was very much "outside the box" of what you would think the conference would be looking for in a new member.

My guess when I read the article was the University of Miami, because it was independent until a few years ago and Alvarez has lots of connections to people on that campus.

UK leaving the SEC would definitely be a bizarro-world type of occurrence.

I hope it's a Big East team or Notre Dame. I want a Big East team so it makes things easier for the Bearcats, and I want Notre Dame so people can see more of how overrated the Fighting Irish are.

Nebraska leaving would be a blow to the big 12, don't see that happening, Kentucky would be foolish to leave the SEC, ND will never happen.

Read an article a few weeks back about how the SEC wanted Texas and A&M when they expanded in 92, both schools were receptive until Texas politics got in the way because the political leaders of the time were Baylor and Texas Tech grads.

You can probably just throw all the big east teams on the list of possibilities with the exception of Pitt, the Big East..one stop shopping for all your conference expansion needs, tell em the ACC sent you
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    No way Texas makes it. Geographically, it doesn't work. Notre Dame obviously makes the most sense, but I could also see a team like Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers or West Virginia making the change.

If the B10 does expand, it likely won't be for awhile, IMO.
    No way does Penn St. allow Pitt to enter the Big 10. Notre Dame does make sense, but their alumni won't allow for them to enter a conference where they are the 4th best program. They are also a Big East school in everything but football. I'm not sure how that plays into the picture.

The sensible option for everyone is to put Penn St. in the Big East as their 9th football school and return the Big 11 to the Big 10. No way it ever happens though.

Right now, I'm guessing the school will be Missouri. tOSU and Michigan won't allow a school to upset the power structure of the Big 10. They will want a team that is geographically friendly that can slot in the middle of the football pecking order. Mizzou fits the bill quite well.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-06-2007 at 06:52 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Big Ten seems to be looking for a team in a big TV market that is not covered by its current market area. Most of the teams mentioned above don't fall into that category.

I think Rutgers or Syracuse are the most likely targets, but I would feel sorry for teams from Minnesota and Iowa having to make road trips to either of those places in the winter.

I'd put money on Syracuse.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I hope it's a Big East team or Notre Dame. I want a Big East team so it makes things easier for the Bearcats, and I want Notre Dame so people can see more of how overrated the Fighting Irish are.
    UC won CUSA a few years ago. That did absolute squat for the program. UC needs to fight tooth and nail to ensure the Big East doesn't revert to CUSA of 1995-2005. I love that the Big East has become a league filled with talented, rising programs. I don't want things easier for the Bearcats, I want all the Big East teams to get even stronger across the board. It makes UC a better program. Having top-10 teams visit Nippert every year builds the program, UAB and Memphis don't.

If you want some evidence on the positive effects the Big East is having on UC, try to find a pair of seats to the UC/WVU game this fall.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-06-2007 at 07:08 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

It is really hard for Notre Dame to enter a conference until their contract with NBC runs out, NBC has exclusive rights to broadcast their games up until 2010.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?