Thread: Bonds Ties Aaron

Senor Votto

Bonds Ties Aaron

Will he break it in the same game?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds Ties Aaron

Bonds who?

Bond(s). James Bond(s). He can do anything.

A-ROD 500... Bonds 755... on the same day...amazing
    Reds fan since 1970

got alil captain in u?

hopefully he hits it tonite so we all can quit hearing about it and move on.

i've watched about their last 4 games, and i miss the 1st at bat tonight, and guess what, lol.

steroids or no steroids, Bonds is/was a superior baseball player to Hank Aaron. He may have not "deserved" the record, but he definitely deserves to rate ahead of Aaron as a total player.

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    steroids or no steroids, Bonds is/was a superior baseball player to Hank Aaron. He may have not "deserved" the record, but he definitely deserves to rate ahead of Aaron as a total player.
    I don't know...Barry's numbers are hard to gauge, because of steroids and other teams unwillingness to pitch to him. If Bonds played in Aaron's era, how would he have dealt with pitchers like Bob Gibson constantly pushing him off the plate (which is his most underrated advantage over past players)? How would Bonds, an already thin skinned guy, deal with the threats Aaron played through. Hard to say. Aaron had some RIDICULOUS seasons. In '71, (at 37 no less...) he hit .327, 47, 118, OPS 1.079, scored 95 runs, and only played in 135 games, (and no steroids). Yes, he only won 1 MVP, but that was a different era, and guys playing in Milwaukee and Atlanta don't get the recognition they deserve. Tough Call.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I don't know...Barry's numbers are hard to gauge, because of steroids and other teams unwillingness to pitch to him. If Bonds played in Aaron's era, how would he have dealt with pitchers like Bob Gibson constantly pushing him off the plate (which is his most underrated advantage over past players)? How would Bonds, an already thin skinned guy, deal with the threats Aaron played through. Hard to say. Aaron had some RIDICULOUS seasons. In '71, (at 37 no less...) he hit .327, 47, 118, OPS 1.079, scored 95 runs, and only played in 135 games, (and no steroids). Yes, he only won 1 MVP, but that was a different era, and guys playing in Milwaukee and Atlanta don't get the recognition they deserve. Tough Call.

Teams always feared Barry. Prior to 2000 he had already owned the record for intentional walks, a record Aaron once held. I think that Bonds superior on-base ability, and baserunning makes him a better offensive player. I also think he was the better fielder.

BTW, the pitcher Bonds hit his 755th homerun tested positive for steroids. Talk about irony

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    Teams always feared Barry. Prior to 2000 he had already owned the record for intentional walks, a record Aaron once held. I think that Bonds superior on-base ability, and baserunning makes him a better offensive player. I also think he was the better fielder.
    Aaron played on teams with more offensive weapons, so he was harder to pitch around (Eddie Mathews, Joe Adcock, Joe Torre, etc....) than Bonds, who only had one real offensve threat for a teammate at a time (Bonilla, Matt Williams, Kent)
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

bonds also hits in a pitchers park. i think if we're going to used the asterisk so freely, it should be used to players that hit at GABP, or Coors Field. everything isn't going to ever be completely level so people should just get over it. Steroids are not what made bonds the amazing player that he is.

Congratulations Barry Bonds.

Pedro Martinez during that 3-4 year span was the most dominant/impressive pitcher I'd ever seen. Almost at the same time Barry Bonds was potentially the most feared hitter ever. If you throw in the likes of JR, A-Rod, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Mark McGuire, Sosa, Glavine, and steroids, I'd say we've witnessed a very significant era of baseball history.
    Last edited by Orenda; 08-05-2007 at 10:04 AM.

the guy is in the top 3 players of all time....that is just the way it is...players have cheated throughout the history of the game. Not that i like the guy, because i don't. But give him his due.
    Reds fan since 1970

Turn Off Ads?