Turn Off Ads?

Thread: *Matt Wise Still Troubled

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

*Matt Wise Still Troubled

Just a piece I came accross on the Matt Wise-Pedro Lopez incident. It should bother him it was an ugly situation, at least he cared enough to let it show. But his team would be better off if he would cut himself a break he didn't mean to do it. Time to move on.

Notes: Wise still troubled by errant pitch
    Reliever has struggled since injuring Lopez

By TOM HAUDRICOURT
    thaudricourt@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: Aug. 5, 2007

Matt Wise never dreamed the mental hurdle would be this high.

The Milwaukee Brewers' veteran reliever has not been the same pitcher since he hit Cincinnati's Pedro Lopez in the face with a pitch on July 25 at Great American Ball Park. Wise broke Lopez's left cheekbone, sending him to the hospital and onto the 15-day disabled list.

Including that outing, Wise has allowed six hits, four earned runs and two walks in 1 1/3 innings (27.70 ERA) over four appearances. He has not retired a hitter in his last two outings.

That slide continued Sunday when Wise was entrusted to protect a five-run lead over Philadelphia in the ninth inning at Miller Park. Wise committed an error on Wes Helms' come-backer, then surrendered a two-run homer to Jayson Werth.

Manager Ned Yost removed him at that point, but the Phillies went on to score three runs off closer Francisco Cordero to tie the score and eventually win in the 11th.

"'Wiser,' I think, is still battling the after-effects of hitting that guy in the face," Yost said. "He's not himself out there right now. We're going to have to review it and go over it as a staff."

Wise, who was a dependable set-up man before being shaken by the beaning of Lopez, said he had no choice but to get past that incident.

"I'm making baby steps now," he said. "I'm not going to say it didn't affect me. But it's just a crutch, really. I'm a professional and a lot better than how I've pitched the last two weeks.

"Enough is enough. It's time to move on. There's a little bit of tentativeness. That's people stuff, not baseball stuff. I'm ready to move on."
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-07-2007 at 12:19 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wise Still Troubled

I saw this thread title and thought Dewayne Wise was still having leg problems.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I saw this thread title and thought Dewayne Wise was still having leg problems.
    Me, too. I had already started typing about how this thread should be moved. Now, this thread has me thinking about how Dunn was supposedly being traded for Wise, Gwynn, and a minor league infielder.

Man I feel sorry for the guy b/c we all knew when he hit lopez that it really bothered him.I really hope he can get past this mess b/c it is really bothering him.Maybe if Lopez if he can talk would call him and tell him bro im ok and it was just an accident.Then I think that would really help wise alot.I an't saying lopez has to call him but if he would then that would take the weight off of wise's shoulders.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: *Matt Wise Still Troubled

Wise's troubles continue.

Tonight (8/7 vs Rockies): Single, Single BB, before retiring Yorvit Torrealba on a fly out.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Re: *Matt Wise Still Troubled

Crowd the plate on this cat next time around.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?