Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Who are the Reds best relief prospects?

Who are the Reds best relief prospects?

Reading the Head of the 2006 Class kind of sparked my interest. Who do you think are the Reds best relief prospects?

Just some guys I think to be good candidates

Marcus McBeth
    Brad Salmon
    Pedro Viola
    Josh Roenicke
    Ruben Medina
    Rick Asadoorian
    Derrick Lutz
    Ramon Geronimo
    Lee Tabor
    Marcus Mateo
    Tyler Pelland
    Carlos Guevara
    Brock Till
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who are the Reds best relief prospects?

Personally, I think these people can help the major league team next season or after.

Marcus McBeth
    Brad Salmon
    Pedro Viola
    Josh Roenicke
    Carlos Guevara

Those to me are the guys who I think have the best possibility to help this team.

Don't forget Bill Bray he is still young and has been in AAA (or the DL) all season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Yea but I dont really consider him a prospect, but I guess you could include him

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

I think Blue's quote about Jay Bruce is the most often used quote; Kudos to you for entering Redzone myth, Blue.

...and Jon Coutlangus automatically jumps to the top of this list

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Look at our best starting pitcher prospects and it will contain most of our best relief prospects.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

From the Reds pov it is Pelland,Roenicke and Viola. They have been pushed all of them. Others like McBeth or Bray probably fall into the "young" reliever title.

Hard to believe the best overall lights out pitcher in our minor league system and future closer for the reds was left out: SEAN WATSON

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Well minus the fact that Watson is currently starting you might have a point....

It seems to me that most impact relievers in the major leagues were starters until at least the upper levels fo the minors. It makes sense because to be a successful major league reliever you really need two plus pitches. Any minor league pitcher flashing 2 or more plus pitches will be given a long look as a starter.

Maybe that's 'old school' thinking and the trend is to groom relievers moreso than in the past. But that's why I really don't get too jazzed about minor league relievers to begin with. And why I don't like it when the Reds trade for them. ]

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    It seems to me that most impact relievers in the major leagues were starters until at least the upper levels fo the minors. It makes sense because to be a successful major league reliever you really need two plus pitches. Any minor league pitcher flashing 2 or more plus pitches will be given a long look as a starter.

Maybe that's 'old school' thinking and the trend is to groom relievers moreso than in the past. But that's why I really don't get too jazzed about minor league relievers to begin with. And why I don't like it when the Reds trade for them. ]
    Yeah. Bring back tandem starters!!! Woohoooo!
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I think Blue's quote about Jay Bruce is the most often used quote; Kudos to you for entering Redzone myth, Blue.
    I'm just soaking it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Yeah. Bring back tandem starters!!! Woohoooo!
    Not what I was saying. I was just pointing out that an organization will typically keep their best and brightest pitchers on the starter path until they show they lack the ability to develop enough plus pitches. It tells you something when guys are converted to relief early in their minor league career.

Turn Off Ads?