Turn Off Ads?

Thread: baseballanalysts.com on Reds Draft

baseballanalysts.com on Reds Draft

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives...2007_draft.php

The 2007 Draft: Filling in the Gaps

By Marc Hulet
    4. Cincinnati Reds
    The Reds organization made the most of its six picks in the first three rounds of the 2007 draft and it has already inked all of those players to contracts.

Catcher Devin Mesoraco was one of the hottest commodities on draft day and zoomed up draft boards. He was nabbed with the 15th pick and signed for $1.4 million. So far in the Gulf Coast League, Mesoraco is holding his own with a line of .260/.373/.280. Obviously, he will need to get stronger as he has only one extra base hit (a double). However, he has shown a good eye for a teenager and has walked seven times in 50 at-bats, while striking out only six times.

College shortstop Todd Frazier has two older brothers who have played pro baseball and he is considered the best of the three. Taken in the supplemental first round, Frazier is making a slow adjustment to pro ball and is batting .256/.275/.256 in nine games. He has yet to hit an extra base hit or take a walk.

Despite being perhaps the most raw of the first six picks, Neftali Soto has thrived in pro ball so far. In 22 Gulf Coast League games, Soto is hitting .345/.389/.529. He has 30 hits, including 10 extra base hits (and two homers). He has walked six times and struck out 14.

Kyle Lotzkar, a 17-year-old Canadian pitcher, has yet to make an appearance for the Gulf Coast League team. Missouri State right-hander Scott Carroll has also not appeared in a game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: baseballanalysts.com on Reds Draft

Also from them
    Cincinnati Reds: College hitter Blake Stouffer (fourth round) and Canadian prep pitcher Evan Hildenbrandt (sixth round) are the top remaining picks who have yet to sign. Of the two, Stouffer is the most likely to sign by Aug. 15.

That was about 3-4 weeks ago. Have they upgraded it since then? Guess it was 15 days ago. Seems like it was further as all of those players have had about 45-50 plate appearances since then. I'd like to see if they come up with a ranking at the end of the Minor's seasons.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 08-07-2007 at 03:26 PM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

what i posted was from either yesterday or today.

Anybody have any insight about the issue with Hildenbrandt? I hope there's some chance we sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    what i posted was from either yesterday or today.

I'm relly curious to see how that Canadian kid does.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Anybody have any insight about the issue with Hildenbrandt? I hope there's some chance we sign him.
    From what I recall reading from his local paper when he was drafted, he wanted 2nd round money and he said the Reds were aware of that when they drafted him. So if he is going to sign for over slot, which is what he was said to be asking, then expect to find out around the 15-16th of this month.

More on Hildenbrandt
    The local club is already missing ace righthander Evan Hildenbrandt, who hasn’t pitched for the Cards since being drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in June. Hildenbrandt is negotiating a contract with the Reds, and the Abby team doesn’t want to jeopardize his deal by exposing him to injury.
    http://www.abbynews.com/portals-code...1037254&more=0

Pitcher Evan Hildenbrandt was in uniform on the Cardinals’ bench on Sunday, but the star righthander was not allowed to throw. He’s awaiting a contract from the Cincinnati Reds, who drafted him in the sixth round of the major league draft in June.

“It was kind of tough,” Hildenbrandt said of having to watch from the sidelines. “I want to help them win, but I can’t do anything about it.”

Hildenbrandt has until Aug. 15 to sign with the Reds, and he’s confident a deal will get done.

“Their scouting director has told me I’ll be signed,” he said.
    http://www.abbynews.com/portals-code...1039547&more=0

good to know we are going after top talent like Hild

Thanks Doug for the research there.

It is good to hear we seem to have done well on that draft.

Yes, thanks Doug for the info on Hildenbrandt. Glad to hear it looks like there's a good chance he'll sign.

Turn Off Ads?