Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Juan Rafael

Juan Rafael

A guy named Juan Rafael is scheduled to start tonight for High A Sarasota. It looks like Rafael had some starts for the GCL Reds and then was promoted to Sarasota (skipping Dayton?). Does anyone know much about this guy? How / when was he acquired? International signing? Just curious. I hadn't heard his name before, but to go from GCL to Sarasota...that's a pretty big leap. Will be interested to see his line for tonight...

If he does well, I'm taking him in the Prospect Draft...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Juan Rafael

Juan's stats so far this year.

Code:
    Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG 
    RDS GCL     1 3 2.33 8 7 0 0 0 38.2 30 13 10 0 7 34 0.80 .211 
    SAR FSL     0 0 0.00 1 0 0 0 1 1.2 1 0 0 0 0 2 0.00 .167
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He wasn't promoted. He is just being used as a spot starter. It happens all the time for the GCL/Sarasota club since there is no travel required.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Also, he was signed in May of 2004 out of the Dominican Republic and has spent 3 seasons playing for the DSL Reds from 04-06 striking out 168 in 167.2 innings while posting a 3.11 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He wasn't promoted. He is just being used as a spot starter. It happens all the time for the GCL/Sarasota club since there is no travel required.
    Ahhh, I see. So he's not some unknown phenom in the system. Based on minor league baseball site he's 21 and will turn 22 in December. Looks to have some nice numbers so far in GCL (with the exception of W-L). I thought I had found "the new hope."
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Well, Rafael didn't "dominate" the competition in last night's start, that's for sure.

Code:
    Date OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO 
    8/7 @JUP 0 1 6.75 0 4.0 4 3 1 5
    Still, I wouldn't say it was a "bad" start. 1 BB and 0 HR's allowed. 3 ER's, 4 H in 4 IP. For your first exposure to High A, that's not terrible I guess. The 5K in 4 IP is nice to see as well. I'll continue keeping an eye on this kid.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?