Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My Top 20 Prospects

Re: My Top 20 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    What's his playing time like, though? The last 4 Dragons games I've gone to Francisco hasn't started, Louwsma has. Maybe that's because all of the games I've gone to the opposition has started a LHP, but even still, that means Francisco is in a platoon and thus, shouldn't be wearing down in the 2nd half. I realize that being a LH hitter, you get the bulk of the playing time in platoons, but there seems to be an extraordinary amount of LH starters in the midwest league this year, or else I've just picked the wrong games to attend.
    I think you just have picked the wrong games to go to. Juan has played in 110 games this year (Dayton has played 114 games).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is Travis Wood still hurt? I see he's high on a lot of lists and find that odd since his fastball barely tops 90 anymore. I realize his change is incredible but can't see that making him that high on the prospect list unless his fastball is back up to where it was when he was drafted.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    What's his playing time like, though? The last 4 Dragons games I've gone to Francisco hasn't started, Louwsma has. Maybe that's because all of the games I've gone to the opposition has started a LHP, but even still, that means Francisco is in a platoon and thus, shouldn't be wearing down in the 2nd half. I realize that being a LH hitter, you get the bulk of the playing time in platoons, but there seems to be an extraordinary amount of LH starters in the midwest league this year, or else I've just picked the wrong games to attend.
    Has 430 at bats, most on the team, in 110 games. (At bats number reflects a lot of playing time, also reflects few walks.) He is listed as a switch hitter, if true he should start against all pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Prf15 View Post
    That's why didn't make my cut. My list factored potential into it a little bit for 1st or 2nd yr players but I go by numbers to see how they are really doing for guys that have been in the system.

I know I rated the relievers a little high but those guys are putting up awesome numbers.

Any reason why Viola isn't getting a lot of votes for top 20? I have only been following the minors for about 2 years so some of these guys I don't know what there potential is.
    Viola is in his first year of baseball in America. He dominated as a starter in the DSL the past few years. The reason he didn't make my top 20 is that he is a reliever and at best the #3 or 4 reliever in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Has 430 at bats, most on the team, in 110 games. (At bats number reflects a lot of playing time, also reflects few walks.) He is listed as a switch hitter, if true he should start against all pitching.
    He is listed as a switch hitter, but no longer switch hits. I think that maybe when he was in the Dominican he was a switch hitter, but once he came here he was told he was a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Viola is in his first year of baseball in America. He dominated as a starter in the DSL the past few years. The reason he didn't make my top 20 is that he is a reliever and at best the #3 or 4 reliever in the system.
    I guess I just got some Krivisky in me.

Doug, what do you think of the Reds minor system? Seems there is alot of talent in there, just want a expert opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Is Travis Wood still hurt? I see he's high on a lot of lists and find that odd since his fastball barely tops 90 anymore. I realize his change is incredible but can't see that making him that high on the prospect list unless his fastball is back up to where it was when he was drafted.
    He is still on the DL. Not saying he will be Cole Hamels, but Cole Hamels is a two pitch guy. He has a devastating change up and a fastball that barely tops 91 MPH. As a lefty, you don't need an overpowering fastball. Prior to his injuries though, his curveball was making progress. He was also hitting 92 on the gun.

He is listed as a switch hitter, but no longer switch hits. I think that maybe when he was in the Dominican he was a switch hitter, but once he came here he was told he was a lefty.
    In all of those last 4 games I have attended he PH late in the game (and his a freaking moon shot to RF in one of them) but hasn't started. I guess I really have picked the wrong games to attend. Geez.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prf15 View Post
    I guess I just got some Krivisky in me.

Doug, what do you think of the Reds minor system? Seems there is alot of talent in there, just want a expert opinion on it.
    Top 10 system in baseball. No question in my mind. People will still claim there is no depth. Sure, the Reds arent the Devil Rays or anything, but no one really is. The Reds have a lot more depth than some people are willing to admit because 'its the Reds'. Add on top that the Reds currently have 4 prospects in the top 30-40 prospects in baseball with Bruce, Bailey, Votto and Cueto and there are very few teams that can come close to matching that.

Give me a system with 4 blue chip prospects that the Reds have and I am not worried too much about any depth issues. Have your utility infielders and outfielders, I will take blue chip guys that will be starters one day.

He is still on the DL. Not saying he will be Cole Hamels, but Cole Hamels is a two pitch guy. He has a devastating change up and a fastball that barely tops 91 MPH. As a lefty, you don't need an overpowering fastball. Prior to his injuries though, his curveball was making progress. He was also hitting 92 on the gun.
    Fair enough. Just curious how he was so high after the year he's had this year.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

1.Bruce
    2.Bailey
    3.Cueto
    4.Votto
    5.Wood
    6.Watson
    7.Valaika
    8.Mesoraco
    9.Fisher
    10.Stubbs
    11.Dorn
    12.Frazier
    13.Thompson
    14.Roenicke
    15.Lotzkar
    16.Smith
    17.Maloney
    18.Viola
    19.Francisco
    20.Soto
    Last edited by ochoa30; 08-08-2007 at 02:04 PM.

I am suprised that many people have dropped Bailey from the #1 prospect after a less than stellar first 4 or 5 games. I think people fail to realize that in his last start he pitched pretty good and out of his 6 starts 3 of them he gave up 2 or less runs. Its kind of like saying if Bruce hits .200 in his first month in the bigs he has lost elite status as a prospect. I dont rate Mesorasco anywhere near my top 15 and say that he is too far away from the bigs to compare him amongst the reds top 20. I also find it ironic that Dickerson doesn't find his way on many lists. IMO that a guy with that kind of speed and if he can play good defense will see quite a bit of time on a major league roster.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am suprised that many people have dropped Bailey from the #1 prospect after a less than stellar first 4 or 5 games. I think people fail to realize that in his last start he pitched pretty good and out of his 6 starts 3 of them he gave up 2 or less runs. Its kind of like saying if Bruce hits .200 in his first month in the bigs he has lost elite status as a prospect. I dont rate Mesorasco anywhere near my top 15 and say that he is too far away from the bigs to compare him amongst the reds top 20. I also find it ironic that Dickerson doesn't find his way on many lists. IMO that a guy with that kind of speed and if he can play good defense will see quite a bit of time on a major league roster.
    Dropping bailey below bruce is no knock on him. I wouldn't rate a single player in all of the minors over him right now. Bailey hasn't fallen but bruce has taken it to another level.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I rated him lower because he has made zero progress this year. That is mainly based on his AAA performance. His major league performance didn't surprise me in the least and had little effect on the ranking.

Anyways, being rated below Bruce is not an insult. If Upton plays a ton for the rest of the year, Bruce will have a great shot at being the #1 prospect in all of baseball.

I think Cueto will turn out to be a better starter than Homer will be.

Cueto has such good control, only 30 walks compared to 130 punch outs this year.

Homer is going to have to improve his control to be effective in the majors. This is a off year for Homer, that groin injury might be a cause for this but I think Cueto will be a good ML starter.

Turn Off Ads?